Will taxi driver know where to drop us off at the port in FLL?

Dreams42Day

Silly question to some, I am sure..but we will be getting to the HAL port in Fort Lauderdale via taxi. Will the taxi driver know what to do if we sinply say that we need to go to the HAL port? Do we need more specifics to get there?

Just tell them you want to go to Port Everglades. There will be electronic signs at the entrance of the port that tell you what pier your ship is docked at, and your taxi driver will (should) know how to get to that specific pier.

Just tell them you want to go to Port Everglades. There will be electronic signs at the entrance of the port that tell you what pier your ship is docked at, and your taxi driver will (should) know how to get to that specific pier.

Thank you!! :)

Exactly - we tell the driver the ship name as well when we get in.

You will not have any problems with the transfer and the good news is the airport is a short distance to the cruise terminal, you'll be checking in before you've had time to enjoy the view of Ft. Lauderdale:cool:

Just a heads up, you may be asked to produce your ship boarding pass to the security guards at the gates when entering the port area. We've had to do it a couple of times in the past 2 years, so it wouldn't hurt to have them handy when you get into the taxi.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hop in the taxi, tell driver, Por r Everglades, and name of the ship you are sailing.... He or she will know. tehre is a board near the entrance to th eport that lists which p;ier each ship is at.

Be sure drive flips on the meter when you are seated and doors are closed. in order to have your fare measured correctly.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait!!

Make sure the taxi driver doesn't take you the "long way around" - those taxi drivers there are famous for that - especially if they think you don't know where you are going....Have great trip!

When we got to the airport last Friday night at FLL we took a taxi to our hotel. When we got into the taxi I told the driver which hotel. I quiet seriously asked him if he knew where it was to avoid the long trip they sometimes do and he rudely answered "NO!". Of course he knew. His blunt response made for an awkward ride to the hotel a short ways away. He got a tip from me but not nearly what it would have been if he had been not so rude. pffft!

When we got to the airport last Friday night at FLL we took a taxi to our hotel. When we got into the taxi I told the driver which hotel. I quiet seriously asked him if he knew where it was to avoid the long trip they sometimes do and he rudely answered "NO!". Of course he knew. His blunt response made for an awkward ride to the hotel a short ways away. He got a tip from me but not nearly what it would have been if he had been not so rude. pffft!

Rude and long haul drivers are putting themselves out of business as they "drive" more people to use Uber.

I am a generous tipper but that behavior would have earned NOTHING from me.

Hop in the taxi, tell driver, Por r Everglades, and name of the ship you are sailing.... He or she will know. tehre is a board near the entrance to th eport that lists which p;ier each ship is at.

Be sure drive flips on the meter when you are seated and doors are closed. in order to have your fare measured correctly.

Also, there are only very specific cabs that are allowed to go to the ports. They pay an extra tax. You can recognize them because they have a red stripe on the doors. There will also be a “port approved” decal on the passenger side front window. If you don’t see that, don’t get in.

f you are raveling with someone, if you think driver could be taking you'fo a ride' say to your companion..... Wow, this seems so much longner ride than the last few times we were here. Don't let driver know it is your fist time to Port Everglades......... I have done similar when leaving the ship and going for post cruis hotel stay. I woudl say to DH, aALL he times we have gone to that hgtel, we always were there so much faster. No like we don't know where the hotel is locatedMust have ben mor red lights than I ralized. We usually arrived very soon

after such a comment. :) The taxi sight-sereing game is played out in cities all over the world.

In addition to the huge electronic sign, the security agent will also tell the driver which terminal your ship is in.

I've been both a passenger and a driver. It's hard to miss the correct spot.

As a rule, I always print out the directions from the hotel to the airport or the airport to the port. Or restaurant or whatever.

It's not a big deal for us in Fort Lauderdale because we know where everything is, but there are some unscrupulous drivers out there. (Athens was the worst for us.)

We do the same thing -- get in the cab and tell the taxi driver we want to go to HAL .........(ship name).

Be sure that you have your passport ready for the security police to see when you go through the security check point as you enter the secured area.

Agree with KK!

Don't worry! You'll have no problem getting to the right ship! (y)

As a rule, I always print out the directions from the hotel to the airport or the airport to the port. Or restaurant or whatever.

It's not a big deal for us in Fort Lauderdale because we know where everything is, but there are some unscrupulous drivers out there. (Athens was the worst for us.)

Excellent advice and we just mention that we know the route.

Keith

We had a taxi driver threaten to put me an my luggage out on the curb, because he didn't want to wait for DH to return after discovering the porter lost one of our bags.

We tell the taxi driver the name of the ship, and always make sure it's the right ship as we approach.

Silly question to some, I am sure..but we will be getting to the HAL port in Fort Lauderdale via taxi. Will the taxi driver know what to do if we sinply say that we need to go to the HAL port? Do we need more specifics to get there?

You need to tell him what ship and what terminal, which is on your documents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to tell him what ship and what terminal, which is on your documents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not necessarily so. Terminal location on docs may not be where it docs. :D

You can go to Port Everglades website, click on ship schedule up to 5-7 days from departure and find out the Terminal your ship is scheduled to dock.

As far as cab driver, I have had good and bad experiences. Most are good but some try to rip you off. I know the area very well and one time told the cab driver to stop and let me out of the cab if he refused to go the shortest route to/from the port