Would you pay less for no choice

Given that it is difficult to accommodate everyone's wishes - dinning time, table size, would you be happy to pay a discount price for no choice?

I have been looking at P&O and they have some really good deals. The only catch is that with the discount saver price you don't get to choose. Dinning time, table size, cabin are chosen by P&O but you pay a lot less than standard price.

Just wondered how RCI fans would feel about a similar offering by Royal Caribbean. Would you take it?

Sure why not? Saving money and lets face it people can get used to anything(except Dynamic Dining it turns out)

Only problem I could see coming?

Royal would then start to charge for what is included now because the discounted fare is not profitable(enough)

Heck no. I won't cruise without knowing what cabin I am in (because I am very picky as we spend a decent amount of time in our cabin), and I have no desire to eat with strangers. Those are two non-negotiable things to me.

Probably not, no. We've actually done a couple of P and O cruises where this had been an option and chosen to pay the higher price. I wouldn't mind a guarantee type cabin but I'd hate to get stuck with early dining, 6pm would be way to early for us to eat on holiday and I think it would really spoil our enjoyment of the evenings.

Bob, you are correct, the Bella experience on MSC is similar although you do get to choose your cabin.

Julie

Sure why not? Saving money and lets face it people can get used to anything(except Dynamic Dining it turns out)

Only problem I could see coming?

Royal would then start to charge for what is included now because the discounted fare is not profitable(enough)

I suppose this is going the same way as no frills air travel. You can pay extra and have everything included or pay very little and nothing is included.

I could easily and do actually cruise without ever stepping foot in the dining room...the WJ is fine for us and has been for a very long time. Not that I want to encourage other's to dine there ;)

I have been on quite a few P&O cruises. Never paid too much attention to the 2 price options. Was usually put on MTD so it didn't matter. I suspect once on board the ship, nobody cares which fare you paid and you could try and change dinning arrangements.

The other thing I would consider is that if there is a big enough price gap then it would pay for a dinning package and I wouldn't care where they put me in the MDR.

Interesting comment on P&O site btw. It says that if you are travelling in a group and want to sit together, you should choose the standard fare and not the discount one.

BTW the reason why I was looking at P&O is £650 for a 12 night cruise from Southampton. For UK, that is very cheap.

For Canada that is good even with the Pound conversion. Although airfare would be killer

I'm all in favor of tiers of service, provided that the current system remains the current price (ie, I'd pay less for less, but I don't want to have to pay more for the same). I wouldn't want to give up choosing the cabin though as we travel with 2 small children and would hate to end up in a tiny cabin.

Having a "Traveler" class where its the WJ with the option to upcharge to the MDR for individual meals would suit me fine (particularly in light of the lackluster photos I'm seeing of MDR food; if its going to look like it was scooped out by a lunchlady, I'd rather I was the one doing the scooping). Heck, if they wanted to have basic entertainment and upcharge for the fancy shows, I'd consider that as well.

I'd do it in a NY minute in that I don't eat dinner in the MDR at all. We go to the specialty restaurants nightly, so a lower price might offset the cost of those restaurants.

I wouldn't do it for the cabin though. I choose my cabin and only once did I do a guaranty and that was because we booked late and the cabin locations we would choose were already taken. I thought it would be worth it to save $100. W R O N G! We were in a balcony below the Lido and carts were rolled around all night and we were across from the steward's pantry where they filled the ice buckets etc. and it was noisy from 6AM on. Never, never again.

Never! I need to make all my own choices. It's worth whatever the cost is. I have been very intrigued by the new MSC Seaside but they way they run things is just too different for me (basically you must pay more $$ to have control over your dining options). The concept does not appeal to me.

This is basically a question about finances. I am in a position where my time and comfort far outweigh my financial concerns. So no. I would not pay less for less choice. I would in fact pay MORE for more choice.

And I have limited finances so it is important to me to have things exactly as I want them as I don't get to have a lot of vacations. I'm with you! :):)