United vs Delta - which sucks less?

Z'Loth

Which airline is the better airline?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which airline is the better airline?

• Delta
    • United

No nonstops other than flying to Toronto and then doing Rouge to Bucharest.

Just an fyi that we flew Rouge premium economy a year ago and it was a very nice product. Like US domestic first class

Would never fly Rouge main cabin but wouldn't hesitate flying the PE again

Depends whether you have two legs or four. If the latter, take Delta - they will send you to Tokyo.

:D

If you are talking about the German Shepard that was supposed to go to Kansas, I believe it was United that sent the dog to Tokyo not Delta.

Chocolate vs vanilla. It is really what you like, what works best for you. United means connecting through Denver or Houston or Chicago or Newark. None of those is easy but Denver and Houston are easier. most of the time. Personally I hate connecting in Atlanta. I did a few times and swore never again. Unless you get lucky and are connecting in the same terminal you have a long walk to the shuttle between terminals, then ride the shuttle, then another long walk to your gate most of the time.

If you are talking about the German Shepard that was supposed to go to Kansas, I believe it was United that sent the dog to Tokyo not Delta.

You're right. I got it confused with the puppy that racked up a bunch of FF miles by going to three wrong cities between Virginia and Boise.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/20/delta-sends-puppy-to-wrong-city-three-times/

You're right. I got it confused with the puppy that racked up a bunch of FF miles by going to three wrong cities between Virginia and Boise.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/20/delta-sends-puppy-to-wrong-city-three-times/

Seems to be several “fauxpaws” involving furry pax. I’m still trying to figure out why a French Bulldog rode in a United metal overhead instead of a carrier under the seat in front of the owner. Yah, I know the FA put it there but if it had been in a carrier that fit under the seat.......

I can't compare the two because I've only been on a few United flights a while back but I fly mainly on Delta (living in a hub city) and have never had a problem on any Delta flight that I can think of. In fact, they are almost always on time. Also, whenever I've had to call the airline with questions they've been helpful & friendly.

As for the OP -- take whichever gives you the best connection time and most direct flight. Also depending on time of year you fly -- would definitely avoid UA with connections through ORD or EWR in winter.

As far as any international travel. Definitely prefer *A for travel to EU and Middle East. Cannot beat their service on missed connects. Have missconnected many times going to VIE through FRA/ZRH and LHR. Always had a flight already booked prior to landing. UA App is great on this front.

Sky Team! Call me unlucky, but I’ve been caught a couple of times by Air France strikes and that option is now dead to me! AF unions are their worst nightmare!

So forget about AF and fly KLM to AMS and connect there, or Alitalia to FCO and connect there. Both offer lots of options for getting to Europe via Sky Team.

Not in my experience. Would be interested in hearing from others who also traveled internationally extensively for work. Of course, not everyone does everything. But, for me, SFO as the "home" airport (and a United flight and maintenance hub) is an important consideration. I also prefer the flexibility of the point trading policies within Star Alliance.

Clearly a good bit of your bias has to do with your home airport being a UA hub. It's really impossible to say one airline or one alliance is "best," when so much of it is colored by personal circumstances. As for "points trading" I got an amazing deal on round trip business-class tickets using miles (points) 2 years ago going to eastern Africa and back. Used Delta sky miles but flew a combo of Delta, Air France, KLM and Kenya Airways.... all part of Sky Team.

As for the OP -- take whichever gives you the best connection time and most direct flight. Also depending on time of year you fly -- would definitely avoid UA with connections through ORD or EWR in winter.
The connection is through Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles) in both directions in September. I don't think I have much to worry about. My cruise departure is on the 14th, but the flight is on the 10th. One would have to be really really unlucky not to be able to make the flight to the cruise when traveling a few days early.

Sky Team! Call me unlucky, but I’ve been caught a couple of times by Air France strikes and that option is now dead to me! AF unions are their worst nightmare!

So forget about AF and fly KLM to AMS and connect there, or Alitalia to FCO and connect there. Both offer lots of options for getting to Europe via Sky Team.

Out of the French frying pan and into the Italian fire!! A good chuckle to start the day.

I ended up purchasing my ticket today. $324 total for the round trip tickets with the flight leaving Sacramento at 8 AM and FLL at 1 PM isn't too terribly bad.
And, in the past week, the cost of the round trip went from $324 to $366 to $387.