Trying to decide between refundable and nonrefundable

My understanding is that if you book nonrefundable and have to cancel, you will get a future cruise credit for the amount of the deposit minus a $100 penalty. The onboard credit for the nonrefundable right now is $100. So, essentially, isn't it really a wash between the penalty and OBC? I think it's very unlikely that we would have to cancel but I know stuff happens sometimes. And if we don't cancel, we get the lower pricing and the OBC. Seems like a positive to me but maybe I'm missing something. Your thoughts?

We normally don't book things (cars/hotels, etc..) and pay for them ahead of time. With cruising, you obviously have too. The last cruise booked offered us this option. The way we decided was the price would have been almost $500 more if we booked refundable. Booking NR, IF we had to cancel would cost us $200, versus the extra $300 if we don't cancel. So we decided less loss? I know, crazy logic, but that's how we decided.

I think you'll find everyone has their own way of deciding.

Erika

My understanding is that if you book nonrefundable and have to cancel, you will get a future cruise credit for the amount of the deposit minus a $100 penalty. The onboard credit for the nonrefundable right now is $100. So, essentially, isn't it really a wash between the penalty and OBC? I think it's very unlikely that we would have to cancel but I know stuff happens sometimes. And if we don't cancel, we get the lower pricing and the OBC. Seems like a positive to me but maybe I'm missing something. Your thoughts?

Not a wash because the $100 OBC isn't in your pocket to make up for the $200 (2 in cabin) that you'll lose

We did the non refundable on a couple of our cruises for the same reason you just gave. The non refundable prices are a significant savings .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use to book way ahead of time. If my plans changed it was never a problem with the deposit refundable. Now any cruise line that is non refundable I only book close in after final payment period. I know sometimes you are risking the cruise might be sold out or the cabin location might not be available. With so many cruise lines and ships I always find something that is usually at fire sale prices. You save lots of money if you can be flexible. Since I am now retired it makes a big difference. I think the lines that are using the non refundable deposit policy are hurting themselves since it makes many cruisers shop around and book lines that are not doing that.

Hmmm...so it's really a $200 loss then. I'm not sure it's worth it to me to take the risk. The savings in booking the nonrefundable is good but not that good. I think we'll go with refundable. And, since there is no benefit to booking on the ship for refundable (in just a couple of weeks!:D), I'll go ahead and book now instead of waiting. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Definitely makes a difference!

Hmmm...so it's really a $200 loss then. I'm not sure it's worth it to me to take the risk. The savings in booking the nonrefundable is good but not that good. I think we'll go with refundable. And, since there is no benefit to booking on the ship for refundable (in just a couple of weeks!:D), I'll go ahead and book now instead of waiting. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Definitely makes a difference!

Check out the rates when it gets close to final payment time. If the non refundable is still cheaper than what you have booked it at you can always change to non refundable.

That's my plan as well

My next two cruises are booked as non-refundable. I also buy insurance the same day I book my cruise. If I had to cancel my cruise, it would be for a reason that is covered.

If I thought that there might be a chance I would cancel, I wouldn't book the non-refundable. I'm not one that thinks that I might want to go on xyz date or abc date and book both and cancel one. I only book what I plan to do.

I have one cruise booked refundable and one booked non-refundable. I had to look at each cruise individually, one saved me quite a bit on money booking non-refundable and the other there really was not much of a difference.

It’s not a wash (and is actually a loss)for 2 reasons.

1) You Lose $100/person, so if you have 2 people booked, you’d lose $200. A $100 credit still puts you behind $100.

2) The $100 OBC only “pays you back” for the loss of the penalty if you get to keep it. A theoretical $100 that you don’t actually ever get the benefit of using (because you don’t take the cruise) isn’t really worth $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let me get this straight, if you convert from Ref to NR just before final, are you actually switching one to the other (thereby keeping same room) or are you cancelling one and booking a whole new rez which then you may have to settle for what ever is available?

Let me get this straight, if you convert from Ref to NR just before final, are you actually switching one to the other (thereby keeping same room) or are you cancelling one and booking a whole new rez which then you may have to settle for what ever is available?

I think your outcome is going to depend on the experience of the agent you get; and this is only in the event the prices have not gone up. Good question

You keep your room. Just change from ref to nrf.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Funny thing is, many hotels and car rentals are offering reduced rates from pre-paying the costs. And getting enough business from it, that it continues.

And most people book non-refundable air fares every day without a thought.

But people cannot handle change. Airlines changed a long time ago, so people consider that "normal."

Quick question, kinda related, I have a non-refundable reservation (balcony) and if I find a room and want to upgrade to a higher room (Junior Suite) do I lose out?

You only get penalized if you change ship or sailing date.

Book a refundable then later convert it to the nonrefundable rate as it gets to final payment. This gives you the best of both options.

Your scenario is only of benefit if the later date pricing has not gone up. Whatever choices people make it is a gamble.