Word of warning

holidayhelen

Can anyone tell me where it says on the NCL site or documents that we can't bring a Belkin multi-plug device or something with surge protection? I see this in the FAQ: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/faq#electrical-converter

That's it.

Thank you.

While it does not specify surge protected devices in NCL's prohibited items list, it has been known for several years now, that use of consumer surge protected devices onboard ships can cause a fire hazard. If you search my posting history, you will find hundreds of posts explaining this, I'm working now, and don't have the time to search and paste posts in here.

Due to the differences between shipboard electrical systems and land based electrical systems, consumer surge protectors can be subjected to reverse voltages from the ground wire, at low enough voltages that your electronics are not damaged, but that will cause the surge protector to catch fire. This can happen even if your surge protector is working perfectly, you are in the cabin watching it, or even if you don't have anything plugged into the surge protector, if there is a ground fault somewhere else on the ship, so it is completely out of your control.

Please note that none of the ship's electronics, from the POS registers, to the computer servers, to the bridge navigation and communication devices that keep you safe, to the engine room automation that keeps the lights on and the propeller turning are protected by surge protectors. I have worked on ships for 42+ years, and been on several ships that were struck by lightning, and have never suffered a failure of electronics with no surge protection.

I always bring my cheapy plug in adaptor that give me 3 outlets ...are these not allowed anymore?

[ATTACH]417655[/ATTACH]

Or is it actual power strips....I always thought power STRIPS were not allowed.

That's exactly what we use. So far, so good.

I second Bluesea777's approach and when we cruise, pack our gadget pouch's content accordingly. We have 2 of those Berkin power cube, they are good but since cruiselines do not welcome them for fire safety reasons due to ground, fine ... they come up & I just toss in other items, i.e. like a 6" or 8" 3 prong short extension adapter, to use with our various chargers or the Anker 4-port hi-output charger, see picture below.

A Big Blue Live (bluebooth enabled) speaker for better music, coupled with our Nexus 6 or 5X. Everyone carried several charging/data cables, I also have small adapters to cross-use, in case the OEM one is damaged, lost or broken.

Also, very important - a 6' or 10' shieded, high quality USB extension cable, this allow use of devices across the room or closer to the beds, etc. (ships dry docked now have USB charging port integrated into the bedside LED lamps ... just did not measure its output, my guess ... it's either 1 amp or 2 amp maxium, oversized devices typically require 3 amp or more for proper charging.

A simple, direct extension cord should NOT be a problem, i.e. for those using CPAP, it's when there are multiple outlets - even when it's non-surge suppressed. Regardless, I always carry these accessories with us and do not put them in checked luggage, whether it's flying or cruising ...

Ikea's sell a short 3 outlet extension, ideal for those with bulky charging cubes, without surge protection or switching circuit. MicroCenter sell a short 6" extension with an extra power tap on the top of the plug.

For newer mega-ships, the staterooms have 2x 110 volt outlets and 2x 220 volt outlets, with the use of those inexpensive plug adapters - that's plentiful in most instances, especially when we use the 4-port USB charger.

When embarkation out of NYC, port security in the pier typically are on the lookout for liquid & bottled water, soda, "runners" -

cc03b3dfc3982f3132330a5d457b9890.jpg

90b74af2a430bc1cd690cc19a3fcf7d2.jpg

7cd1bd85072569552e32c43a1d560627.jpg

Wow , that would be half my luggage allowance carrying all that . The only thing I plug in on a weeks cruise is my camera , then only once ! My phone and iPad are locked in the safe and only come out for 1 hour half way through the trip to check for any urgent messages! , no need to charge or power anything , it’s a simple life for me

Wow , that would be half my luggage allowance carrying all that . The only thing I plug in on a weeks cruise is my camera , then only once ! My phone and iPad are locked in the safe and only come out for 1 hour half way through the trip to check for any urgent messages! , no need to charge or power anything , it’s a simple life for me

I'm on your page, to me that is just insane. I don't even bring a camera to lug around use my Iphone for pics

does your multi plug adapter have any surge protection in it? that might be way.

I see these Belkin usb power adapter be recommended on cruisecritic a lot, however they have a surge protection built in and is not allowed to be used on ships.

index.jpg

i have this one...weve taken it every sailing and never had it confiscated.

I always bring my cheapy plug in adaptor that give me 3 outlets ...are these not allowed anymore?

[ATTACH]417655[/ATTACH]

Or is it actual power strips....I always thought power STRIPS were not allowed.

That one looks fine, as it does not appear to have a surge suppressor feature.

i have this one...weve taken it every sailing and never had it confiscated.

And, again, I will say that regardless of whether this has been taken in the past, and regardless of how many times you have used it on a cruise (and the more times you use it with shipboard electrical systems, the more likely the surge protector is to fail), please do not use this device or any surge protected power strip on a ship.

The USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protectors on ships"

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety%20Alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

Just off the Jewel,too. Mine wasn’t taken. Used it in plain view for 29 days straight. I had 2, 2 port plugs on an extension cord. That allowed me to charge 4 things at a time. The extension cord had 3 plugs. ? Maybe I just got lucky???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And, again, I will say that regardless of whether this has been taken in the past, and regardless of how many times you have used it on a cruise (and the more times you use it with shipboard electrical systems, the more likely the surge protector is to fail), please do not use this device or any surge protected power strip on a ship.

The USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protectors on ships"

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety%20Alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

Why do people look for every way possible to circumvent the rules?? How much crap do you need plugged in?

Theses forums are full of questions from people looking to get around the rules from bringing water on board, smoking and now plugs? Vacation shouldn't be that difficult if the rules are to cumbersome don't cruise.

how is it circumventing the rules? these types of strips are not listed under the prohibited items.

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

It's not...and actually there is nothing even listed on the prohibited list about extension cords or multi plug adaptors so technically they shouldn't be confiscating any of them.

For those of you who don't have the need, yay for you. We have 3 in our cabin so that means 3 phones, 2 ipads, dvd player, 2 cameras, a laptop, a 2DS, a blow dryer, and possibly a curling iron or flat iron and an ereader. We will be on Breakaway next, so 6 of those things can use the USB ports.

For those of you who don't have the need, yay for you. We have 3 in our cabin so that means 3 phones, 2 ipads, dvd player, 2 cameras, a laptop, a 2DS, a blow dryer, and possibly a curling iron or flat iron and an ereader. We will be on Breakaway next, so 6 of those things can use the USB ports.

The NCL prohibited list says no “

• 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

Thanks for the link. We have always used a Belkin and no one ever said anything.

Frances

As I said, the Belkins frequently get through security because they don't have a cord. And the only person who would see it in use is your cabin steward, and they are habitually loathe to say anything to a passenger that might be considered to be negative, as well as they are not technically trained, and we are constantly confiscating surge protectors from crew, even though they are told repeatedly not to buy them.

I characterize surge protectors on ships like heart attacks. They are a silent killer. As I've stated, your surge protector may be perfectly 100% condition, and something like a deck light on deck 15 forward fills with water and grounds out, and this sends your perfectly fine surge protector into reverse voltage and thermal runaway, and it starts to smoke and melt as you watch it.

Why do people look for every way possible to circumvent the rules?? How much crap do you need plugged in?

Theses forums are full of questions from people looking to get around the rules from bringing water on board, smoking and now plugs? Vacation shouldn't be that difficult if the rules are to cumbersome don't cruise.

I would think that most people here are trying to figure out what they can do without circumventing the rules. For example I have a 4 port desktop USB charger that has no surge protection. I'd like to know if that is OK to bring and whether or not it is likely to be confiscated. I'll plug in as much "crap" as I want to, within the rules, thank you very much.

I would think that most people here are trying to figure out what they can do without circumventing the rules. For example I have a 4 port desktop USB charger that has no surge protection. I'd like to know if that is OK to bring and whether or not it is likely to be confiscated. I'll plug in as much "crap" as I want to, within the rules, thank you very much.

Typically, a "pure" USB hub (just multiple USB ports, not any power outlets), will have a two prong plug, and therefore cannot be surge protected. Typically, they let these through, and if you want you can request an engineer to clear the device for use.

We are just off the Jewel. Like many many others we packed a multi plug adapter in our case. All the cases with these in were confiscated. I had to join what seemed to be about half the ship to go and collect my case and have the adapter confiscated.

I have been getting tips from other CC users and to take one was a tip I picked up - but we warned on the Jewel you will have it confiscated and if your case is not locked they will open the case and take it out.

We just boarded the Jewel today and I'm pleased to say that my travel power converter/plug strip made it through without question. I had to bring it for the portion of our trip leading up to our cruise departing from Yokohama.

Be that as it may, I will note that security seemed more lax than usual, so that may be why I skated by with it in my hand luggage. Just hope I cans get it home on our trans-Pacific going home in May :D :D:D