Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

Hello,

Thanks for all the great information!

We will be in Copenhagen on April 29, 2019 on Princess Regal. This is a Monday and after researching sites I would like to visit I see that most of them are closed. Sad, as we are only there for the day. However, we will do a city walk, Hey Captain boat tour and investigate places to eat. Not sure I am interested in Tivoli as I do not care for amusement parks.

What else would you recommend we see? We are interested in history, local points of interest, enjoying the flavor of the area, landscape and views.

Thank you.

For museums, The Workers Musuem and Rosenborg Castle are usually open on Mondays. 

For views you could head to the top of the new ski slope/waste incineration plant Copenhill which is set to open this winter. There will be a cafe on top, and I think access will be free (but maybe there will be some kinds of restrictions if it gets overrun, we'll see): https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/amager-bakke-copenhill-gdk1088237

Otherwise it is nice to take a stroll along the harbour front and the canals (e.g. Christianshavns canal)

Thanks I appreciate the reply. According to Rick Steves new 2018 guide the Rosenburg castle is closed on Mondays in April and most Mondays throughout the year. It seems to be the case for most of the historic sites and museums.

Thanks for the ski slope tip for views.

Rachael

On 11/13/2018 at 6:01 PM, gma rae said:

We will be in Copenhagen on April 29, 2019 on Princess Regal. This is a Monday and after researching sites I would like to visit I see that most of them are closed. Sad, as we are only there for the day. However, we will do a city walk, Hey Captain boat tour and investigate places to eat. Not sure I am interested in Tivoli as I do not care for amusement parks.

What else would you recommend we see? We are interested in history, local points of interest, enjoying the flavor of the area, landscape and views.

Thank you.

That's unfortunate so many places are closed on a Monday.  I was there for a day last August, and I did the Rick Steves walking tour, which actually took awhile.  I went up the tower of City Hall to see the view.  Those two things took up 2/3 of the day, so I think you might be fine if you are also doing a boat tour and looking for places to eat (which I didn't).  The other thing I did (at 3pm) was the Christiansborg Palace stateroom tour, but unfortunately, that is closed on Mondays in April.   We had to be back to the ship by 5pm anyway, and the walk back took some time.  

On 11/13/2018 at 9:01 PM, gma rae said:

Hello,

Thanks for all the great information!

Thank you.

We spent two full days in Copenhagen in August, and the weather was so glorious we never went indoors anywhere on our first day. With a walking tour and a boat tour, and additional walking around on your own, your day will be pretty full.   (I would recommend seeing the Marble Church, inside and out.)

In terms of views, there’s the Round Tower, as well as a church with external stairs around the steeple (I apologize for forgetting the name, and as I’m on a phone I can’t look it up without losing this post).

With only one day, I would not spend time in Tivoli. 

Enjoy your trip!

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Sunset in beginning of July is just before you ship is leaving Copenhagen - so answer is no.

I was afraid that would be the case, shame I would have liked to have seen Tivoli lit up! Thanks for replying. 

Hello, 

I'm trying to decide between Steel House and Urban House for my pre-cruise stay.  2 adults and 2 teens.  Urban House sounds like a slightly more convenient location, albeit in the red light district!  But the Steel House website explains the how the kitchen works better and I intend on making some of our own meals.  Does anyone have any insight to add?

Thanks!  (blew the budget on the cruise so I need to save on the hotel!)

18 hours ago, gerrimom said:

DV,

we will stay in the Absalon Hotel. Where do I find the train at the airport and can I take it to Central station then walk to hotel?thanks

At the end of terminal 3. When you've passed customs, just keep walking straight ahead and you'll get there. It's clearly signed. All trains to Copenhagen Central Station depart from track 2. At Copenhagen Central Station you can use the Reventlowsgade exit. Check www.journeyplanner.dk :)

7 hours ago, I_am_a_Dane said:

At the end of terminal 3. When you've passed customs, just keep walking straight ahead and you'll get there. It's clearly signed. All trains to Copenhagen Central Station depart from track 2. At Copenhagen Central Station you can use the Reventlowsgade exit. Check www.journeyplanner.dk :)

Thanks

On 11/24/2018 at 10:00 PM, cjammer said:

Thanks DV. What about the area?  Convince, safety, restaurants?  😁

Steel House is is a more family friendly area as Urban House is located in the Red light'ish area of town 🙂

Bur Urban House is better located to the Central station but if you use the Vesterport stop on the S-train you are very close to Steel House.

Both hostels are located veryclose to some good restaurants so thats a 50/50 decision.

Edited by Danish viking

2 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Steel House is is a more family friendly area as Urban House is located in the Red light'ish area of town 🙂

Bur Urban House is better located to the Central station but if you use the Vesterport stop on the S-train you are very close to Steel House.

Both hostels are located veryclose to some good restaurants so thats a 50/50 decision.

Thanks, DV. I booked Steel House.  You're the best!

On 11/25/2018 at 11:32 PM, Slyfox16 said:

We are looking at staying at the AC Hotel Bella Sky Copenhagen. Is this a  central location in the city?

Like DV said, it's not far from the metro, which will take you to the city centre in less than 10 minutes station-to-station, 24/7.

The hotel is located next to a convention centre. There's not really anything to do in that area, so if you want to be in the heart of the city, it's not the place for you.

Thank you very much for your comments, as we are now looking at other hotels, hopefully more centrally located and where you can walk at night. Does anyone know about these Marriott locations: candiagade 14, Copenhagen  2450 Denmark . Kalvebod Brygge 5, Copenhagen  1560 Denmark or  Niels Brocks Gade 1, Copenhagen  1574 Denmark. Thanks for the help with the hotel.

10 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

Thank you very much for your comments, as we are now looking at other hotels, hopefully more centrally located and where you can walk at night. Does anyone know about these Marriott locations: candiagade 14, Copenhagen  2450 Denmark . Kalvebod Brygge 5, Copenhagen  1560 Denmark or  Niels Brocks Gade 1, Copenhagen  1574 Denmark. Thanks for the help with the hotel.

You're welcome!

When you say walk at night, do you think about your safety? There's no need to worry about that in Copenhagen - unless you're a gang member or do something stupid, like running around on the motorway at night: that's very dangerous.

Scandiagade 14, 2450 København SV: Not that it's a bad area, but there's not a lot to do for a tourist here. Frequent buses and S-trains from Sydhavn Station to the city centre.

Kalvebod Brygge 5, 1560 København V: City centre within walking distance. Nice area by the water. The immediate surroundings aren't the most interesting, but it's close to the city centre, so it's not that big of a problem.

Niels Brocks Gade 1, 1571 København V: Short walk to the City Hall Square and proximity to large parts of the city centre.

Niels Brocks Gade 1 and Kalvebod Brygge 5 are located close to each other, so choosing one over the other doesn't make that much of a difference when talking about proximity to the city centre.

Edited by I_am_a_Dane

• 4 weeks later...