New M-Class "Retreat Sundeck"

MightyMike

I was reading about the "Celebrity Revolution" upgrades on M-Class ships. One of the statements was, "Michael’s Club – which is currently the suite lounge on some ships – will be rebranded as the Retreat Lounge. In addition all ships will receive a new Retreat Sundeck."

From the wording, I assume that this means that they are adding a sundeck somewhere--accessible only to suite-level guests as part of the new "Retreat" branding.

Does anyone want to speculate what will be taken away to make room for this suite-only perk? My guess is that non-suite passengers can say goodbye to the sun deck forward on deck 12. It would be a shame if we lost it. I can still remember hanging out under the tilted front windows during a rain storm on the Infinity while staying completely dry.

I wonder how far Celebrity will take these suite-only perks before non-suite passengers start taking notice.

I was reading about the "Celebrity Revolution" upgrades on M-Class ships. One of the statements was, "Michael’s Club – which is currently the suite lounge on some ships – will be rebranded as the Retreat Lounge. In addition all ships will receive a new Retreat Sundeck."

From the wording, I assume that this means that they are adding a sundeck somewhere--accessible only to suite-level guests as part of the new "Retreat" branding.

Does anyone want to speculate what will be taken away to make room for this suite-only perk? My guess is that non-suite passengers can say goodbye to the sun deck forward on deck 12. It would be a shame if we lost it. I can still remember hanging out under the tilted front windows during a rain storm on the Infinity while staying completely dry.

I wonder how far Celebrity will take these suite-only perks before non-suite passengers start taking notice.

Mighty Mike - good question. There is constant discussion on these boards of non-suite vs suite areas and redistribution of space- believe me it seems everybody has taken notice! But what defines a suite vs non-suite passenger? It is a buying choice. Not a human category that is fixed at birth. Your post seems to imply that you consider yourself a "non-suite passenger". Is it possible that you would buy a suite or have done so in the past? It is just a buying choice. Getting back to the sundeck- it has been my observation that most sundecks reserved for suites are extremely underutilized and are wasted space. They are an add-on that is isolated and away from the pool and other amenities. That will likely be true for a suite sun deck on M-Class too. It might work on Edge with a dedicated suite area and the associated amenities included with it.

I really like suite pool seating on voyager and freedom ships it is very close to pool and next to bar, we used it daily, I was a little surprised that celebrity had no such seating, most of the other perks for suites were better than rccl.

Mighty Mike - good question. There is constant discussion on these boards of non-suite vs suite areas and redistribution of space- believe me it seems everybody has taken notice! But what defines a suite vs non-suite passenger? It is a buying choice. Not a human category that is fixed at birth.

Yes and no. In the strictest sense, you are correct. Anyone can choose a suite if they spend the money. But in a practical sense, it does create a distinction and separation.

Perhaps this is more a discussion for a philosophy discussion board than a cruising discussion board. I took my first cruise 20 years ago. The ship only had perhaps 20 balcony cabins. Everything else was either window or interior. It was pretty standard for the time.

Everybody intermingled. Our dining table had people of vastly different backgrounds. We all got along and had a great time!

It just seems like now everybody wants to hang out only with people who are similar to themselves. It seems like the design of the ships is now encouraging and feeding this separation. I'm not sure that is a good thing.

• Like 1

Yes and no. In the strictest sense, you are correct. Anyone can choose a suite if they spend the money. But in a practical sense, it does create a distinction and separation.

Perhaps this is more a discussion for a philosophy discussion board than a cruising discussion board. I took my first cruise 20 years ago. The ship only had perhaps 20 balcony cabins. Everything else was either window or interior. It was pretty standard for the time.

Everybody intermingled. Our dining table had people of vastly different backgrounds. We all got along and had a great time!

It just seems like now everybody wants to hang out only with people who are similar to themselves. It seems like the design of the ships is now encouraging and feeding this separation. I'm not sure that is a good thing.

I think you're making assumptions about why people choose suites. And while I certainly can't answer for anyone else, we like being in a suite because of the extra attention to detail, the extra attention to service and the extra space. We choose to spend our money on a suite and the perks that come with it. Anyone can make that choice.

Sent from while daydreaming I am in Luminae

• Like 4

I think you're making assumptions about why people choose suites. And while I certainly can't answer for anyone else, we like being in a suite because of the extra attention to detail, the extra attention to service and the extra space. We choose to spend our money on a suite and the perks that come with it. Anyone can make that choice.

Sent from while daydreaming I am in Luminae

We did 6 grand suites in a row on rccl, but really liked celebrity perks, rccl only has suite restaurants n there newer ships and there suite lounge only has liquor for a few hours each day , my only issue is sky suites are much smaller in size than rccl suites

If I choose to spend on a suite it has nothing to do with who I want to meet or hang out with. Sometimes I like the space. Sometimes it is a special occasion. Why would anybody assume that other suite passengers are similar to themselves? Or for that matter why non-suite passengers are similar to other non-suite passengers? Do Concierge Class passengers only hang out with other Concierge Class Passengers? or Aqua Class to Aqua Class? If you are in an inside cabin will you only be comfortable dining with others in inside cabins?

• Like 2

[/u]

If I choose to spend on a suite it has nothing to do with who I want to meet or hang out with. Sometimes I like the space. Sometimes it is a special occasion. Why would anybody assume that other suite passengers are similar to themselves? Or for that matter why non-suite passengers are similar to other non-suite passengers? Do Concierge Class passengers only hang out with other Concierge Class Passengers? or Aqua Class to Aqua Class? If you are in an inside cabin will you only be comfortable dining with others in inside cabins?

Exactly! I was going to post something similar, but you expressed it perfectly. Thanks:)

• Like 1

We recently priced a cruise (we prefer balcony and up)

Our choices were:

Balcony about $1000 pp

Aqua about $1500 pp

Suite about $2000 pp

For our $6,000 a year cruise budget we can go 3 times in a balcony, twice in Aqua, and only 1.5 times in a suite.

So, obviously we can cruise more often in balcony and Aqua, and we usually select Aqua, but it’s our choice, and who doesn’t like a choice?

[quote=MightyMike;55681910

Little off topic but your post reminded me I was in a restaurant on St Pattys Day and there were a group of about 12, late 20s, sitting at table next to mine. EVERYONE was on their phone, except when gobbling their food down, the entire time.

• 7 months later...

If people didn’t hog pool chairs there would be no need for a retreat pool and sun deck.

i was on a 10 day cruise in September and the four of us could never get chairs together. Our answer was to open the door on the deck and sit there.  Celebrity needs to address this situation and than they wouldn’t need to take other areas of the ship away.

The goal is to raise revenues and profits.  Suites have been one area they have chosen to work on.  I just hope they DO keep the areas separate.  I hate it when suites (or any other separation class) has reserved whatever for that class and it is not being used and non reserved areas right next to reserved areas are over crowded/not sufficient for the demand.  Like holding seats in theater and loungers on pool deck.  Separate deck would be fine for me if they paid for it, they deserve it.  I kinda know what I am cruising on and when/if it gets to be a problem for me, I know I can choose to accept it or do something else, like a land based trip, another cruise line (maybe) or step up and pay more.

• Like 1

I don’t think it has anything to do with not wanting to associate with people.  You can associate with many passengers at all of the bars, lounges,  tours,  shows and etc.  All you have to do is say hi and start talking.   Works for me.  

Cruising in the past was  associated with fine dining and a luxury experience.  Today many people are still  looking for that.   Look at the direction that Las Vegas is taking.   Gone are the cheap meals and buffets.  Vegas is now full of high end restaurants, expensive shows and buffets that are getting to be more elaborate and expensive.  They also offer special pool areas for the higher end rooms.  The Wynn has it and also has Cabanas that are booked into next summer for $5000 a day.  

The cruise lines are now offering finer dining that some want and are willing to pay more.   

Don’t understand why people get upset or jealous about others enjoying a cruise the way that they want.

I don’t feel that the cruise line is taking any space away from me but they are adding some to free up other areas.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

> Look at the direction that Las Vegas is taking.   Gone are the cheap meals and buffets.

It was the fault of that danged Howard Hughes.

Back when Lansky, Siegel and the Mob were running things, they just wanted a place to launder their money.

Hughes showed you could make a profit.

Danged, plutocrats.

Ira

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 42Hathaway said:

If people didn’t hog pool chairs there would be no need for a retreat pool and sun deck.

i was on a 10 day cruise in September and the four of us could never get chairs together. Our answer was to open the door on the deck and sit there.  Celebrity needs to address this situation and than they wouldn’t need to take other areas of the ship away.

Why do you think there won’t be chair hogs in the suite only area?

On 11/4/2018 at 9:18 AM, CEOofVacation said:

Spoken like a true cockroach.

You could consider all that particulate pollution insecticide for humans.

PPM readings downstream of the funnel, especially on rear pool decks, are apparently in the tens of thousands.  I try not to hang out there.

2 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

You could consider all that particulate pollution insecticide for humans.

PPM readings downstream of the funnel, especially on rear pool decks, are apparently in the tens of thousands.  I try not to hang out there.

Ah... but cockroaches survive everything... longest living creature on earth. 😉