Shows Tenure Too Long

gmbhardy

We travel on NCL’s mega ships about four times each year and frankly I’m getting tired watching the same shows over and over again, the exception would be Million Dollar Quartet. I realize that staging broadway quality shows is expensive but it would be nice to change it up say every two years or so. Any thoughts?

We travel on NCL’s mega ships about four times each year and frankly I’m getting tired watching the same shows over and over again, the exception would be Million Dollar Quartet. I realize that staging broadway quality shows is expensive but it would be nice to change it up say every two years or so. Any thoughts?

Cruise less often.

I totally agree with you. I also can understand how you would get tired of seeing the same thing over and over. Sometimes a certain ship / port / schedule just works best for people and you want something different. Especially with the money being spent on cruises you want to enjoy as much as you can. NCL should offer more options considering they don't have the ice and aqua shows like RCL does. Not only do they keep shows for many years they repeat them on multiple ships. ( Burn the Floor on the Epic and Getaway as an example ) Each ship should have its own shows so the experience is different.

Besides the obvious expense it takes a lot of time and training to put these shows together. I highly doubt that it would be feasible to swap them out every couple of years.

I wish this was a problem for me. lol

I think if I ever get to the point you're at, I'd just start looking at other cruise lines for a change. Not trying to be snarky or anything.

DH and I decided to switch it up and do a NYE cruise on MSC Divina... what a treat. Had a great time, wonderful experience and met so many fun people, even the officers were very cordial and generous with their wine gifts too, lol.

It was a different experience which, IMO, is a good thing.

The only damper on it was the flight home, airport - FLL, Jan. 6, 2017; was a very sad way to end a marvelous cruise.

Cheers

I think if I ever get to the point you're at, I'd just start looking at other cruise lines for a change. Not trying to be snarky or anything.

DH and I decided to switch it up and do a NYE cruise on MSC Divina... what a treat. Had a great time, wonderful experience and met so many fun people, even the officers were very cordial and generous with their wine gifts too, lol.

It was a different experience which, IMO, is a good thing.

The only damper on it was the flight home, airport - FLL, Jan. 6, 2017; was a very sad way to end a marvelous cruise.

Cheers

I think that’s the obvious solution and one we will definitely consider in the future, even though we love NCL. As for right now, we just turned “Platinum “ so we are very much looking forward to the additional perks on three upcoming cruises.

It seems one possible solution would be to have the shows rotate ships, ie Rock of Ages move to Getaway and MDQ rotate to Breakaway. I know some folks sail both ships, but at least that would help those who frequently sail the same itinerary. The theaters are very similar so moving the show from one ship to another would seem to be a fairly simple matter.

Edited by KarlChilders
typo

we still enjoy the shows even tho they are repeats for us. We have seen Rock of Ages 6 times (2x on 3 sailings) we love it!

that said, the nice thing is that if we miss a show due to being busy somewhere else, at dinner, etc. we dont feel like we are missing out. teh smaller ships have added some new shows (blazing boots, the parisian show) which are good. band on teh run never gets old for us either.

i do wish they had more comedy shows on the ships, and different material. we used to go to second city for several shows but they didnt chagne material from one night to the next which i thought was dumb. also, the 11pm adult show was far superior. now taht the second city contract ended, im not sure who they will have if anyone on board.

I agree. I think they should create new shows every 2 years or so. I'd love to cruise the Escape again but those shows were intollerable, of all the cruises probably at least 20 on NCL, those shows were the worst by far. I hated the Brat Pack, I hated the other one which I can't even remember at the moment.

I do miss terribly the Jean Ann Ryan Company.

Buying one 5-year license for a show is significantly cheaper than buying two 2.5-year licenses. Along with the cost, time and effort to install a new show.

When the MDQ was kicked off the Escape, it was several months of glee club acapella singers in the main theater to install the For the Record show. Best to do that during dry dock and not in the middle of a cruise season.

When the MDQ was kicked off the Escape, it was several months of glee club acapella singers in the main theater to install the For the Record show. Best to do that during dry dock and not in the middle of a cruise season.

makes me scared thinking about what is going to happen on my cruise on the escape in may, in a different thread i read for the record is being kicked off the escape in a few weeks

I'd love to cruise the Escape again but those shows were intollerable, of all the cruises probably at least 20 on NCL, those shows were the worst by far. I hated the Brat Pack, I hated the other one which I can't even remember at the moment.

After Midnight? I thought that was a pretty good show, not a typical Broadway kind of thing, but good nonetheless.

If I were you, I would branch out a bit. We plan 1 big (and 1 small if we can manage) vacation a year that lasts 2-3 weeks. We like to go places we haven't been and while we have taken multiple cruises, have never repeated a ship. I don't think I would enjoy doing the same ship multiple times over a few years with the same shows and same dinners. If it works for you, that's great, but I would guess that someone who cruises those ships as often as you represent such a tiny fragment of their customer base that they wouldn't cater to it.

I understand where you are coming from, but I do understand that from the cruise line perspective that changing shows is expensive and profit margins are thin. For an entertainment show based vacation I don't go on a cruise; I go to NYC and get Broadway tickets for stuff I haven't seen that I want to see. We did a five night stay in Manhattan this past January and saw four wonderful awe inspiring performances. New York is the place for theatre. On a cruise the entertainment is nice, but not the main draw. At least the NCL shows are one most people would typically like to see once. I'd prefer that to the poor entertainment on some lines that you really wouldn't want to even waste your time going to. But the been there, done that, bought the T-shirt would get old.

I'm guessing the show schedule is set up for the average cruiser who doesn't cruise as frequently. If new entertainment options are important to you, changing things up is probably going to be your best bet.

I think that’s the obvious solution and one we will definitely consider in the future, even though we love NCL. As for right now, we just turned “Platinum “ so we are very much looking forward to the additional perks on three upcoming cruises.

You can get a status match on MSC right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums