Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

Amen. God bless you. I have said this for years and I don't think anyone ever agreed with me. If you don't have patience for an hour show, don't go. You are on a cruise ship. You have nowhere to go since you are on a ship. Like you cant sit there for a show you sat their waiting for. Even worse are the people who show up and get offended by a man in drag, a curse word, someone dressed provocatively. They storm out trying to make a point in their closed world. They don't even give the show time to understand it.

I also remember the people who were upset they could not get up and go to the bathroom during Cirque Dreams on Epic. HELLO! There are people balancing on ladders only a few feet from the tables. You cant plan your bathroom breaks? You cant wait till the end of the show? Then they vent how bad the show was because they were not allowed to get up. These people are adults but really a 5 year old child inside. They have no manners and think the world revolves around them. They think they are a star on their Facebook page and think they star in their own reality show.

I am not old but call me old fashioned. I was raised with manners and to show respect for people.

I rarely attend the shows anyway, probably averaging at one per cruise. Usually, if we do go to one it is because we think we will like it.

However, I did sit all the way through Rock of Ages on the Breakaway once. I’d have loved to have left, but would have disturbed a few people. That is a couple of hours of my life I’m never getting back.

As a result, if I’m really not sure about a show then I will make sure I’m at the back and on the end of a row. The only time I have actually left was one of the shows on the Escape (I can’t even remember which one). I didn’t like the sound of any of the shows but thought I should try one. There are some stools right at the back and it is easy to leave without disturbing anyone. It probably would have been better to have just stayed away though.

On the smaller ships you generally know what you are going to get, and even if they are performed badly they can be quite entertaining if you like the theme. On the Jade last Summer, the magician was so bad that it was really enjoyable. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mentioned Rock of Ages...I think Rock of Ages is the big culprit on NCL. Its a very long show and its not that good of a show. We were with two other couples who did decide to leave, we stayed, it was only a bit longer.

We got up and walked out of After Midnight because it was boring and terrible. We expected a good, high quality show based on the raving reviews of NCL and their entertainment. What we got was a low budget lounge performance. We waited until the end of a song and left. Maybe so many people are walking out because the entertainment is disappointing? Just a thought.....

DH and I tend to sit in the back on aisle rows if we aren't sure if we will like the show. Some NCL shows are so "cheesy" and would be an insult to a high school production. The worst shows were those by Second City, we walked out the first time we saw the show, boring and NOT funny or even amusing. We were on a different NCL cruise and ship and thought we would give Second City another chance.....the same if not worse. NCL needs a little more sophistication in the show themes. I think part of the problem is that they create their own shows to avoid paying Royalties,the day glow costumes and bad stylized singing are not entertaining. NCL has the capacity to create better shows but could use a new Choreographer and show content coordinator. The Blue Man Group, the Jersey Boys were nice and were enjoyable and NCL needs more shows that are of this caliber.

DH and I tend to sit in the back on aisle rows if we aren't sure if we will like the show. Some NCL shows are so "cheesy" and would be an insult to a high school production. The worst shows were those by Second City, we walked out the first time we saw the show, boring and NOT funny or even amusing. We were on a different NCL cruise and ship and thought we would give Second City another chance.....the same if not worse. NCL needs a little more sophistication in the show themes. I think part of the problem is that they create their own shows to avoid paying Royalties,the day glow costumes and bad stylized singing are not entertaining. NCL has the capacity to create better shows but could use a new Choreographer and show content coordinator. The Blue Man Group, the Jersey Boys were nice and were enjoyable and NCL needs more shows that are of this caliber.

One Second City performance was quite enough for me. I stayed through it, but never went to another one.

Priscilla, MDQ, Jersey Boys, Rock of Ages, Legally Blonde-all copyrighted and NCL has to buy the rights. They have not made them up. Have not seen Second City-don't know about that one.

Amen. God bless you. I have said this for years and I don't think anyone ever agreed with me. If you don't have patience for an hour show, don't go. You are on a cruise ship. You have nowhere to go since you are on a ship. Like you cant sit there for a show you sat their waiting for. Even worse are the people who show up and get offended by a man in drag, a curse word, someone dressed provocatively. They storm out trying to make a point in their closed world. They don't even give the show time to understand it.

I also remember the people who were upset they could not get up and go to the bathroom during Cirque Dreams on Epic. HELLO! There are people balancing on ladders only a few feet from the tables. You cant plan your bathroom breaks? You cant wait till the end of the show? Then they vent how bad the show was because they were not allowed to get up. These people are adults but really a 5 year old child inside. They have no manners and think the world

revolves around them. They think they are a star on their Facebook page and think they star in their own reality show.

I am not old but call me old fashioned. I was raised with manners and to show respect for people.

I totally agree with you.

I always walk out if I dont like a show! Why would I waste my time sitting there miserable when its MY vacation that I paid for. So much going on the ship that I will find something else to do.

I don't think anyone is telling anybody not to leave a show they don't like. It's about folks that arrive or leave in a disruptive, distracting manner that are the problem.

There have been some excellent suggestions on this thread about how to arrive or leave the MainStage shows without bothering anyone else. I think that is the issue.

Also, If I went to a lounge singer act and I did not like the singer, I would at least wait until after they finished a song and then leave.

Not at all. Just as I cannot MAKE anyone feel or do anything. How someone feels about what I do is their choice. I cannot make any mad, angry, happy, or glad. People feel how they choose to feel. I also cannot offend anyone. They can choose to feel offended by what I do however. What someone else feels is not under my control. Have great day, I hope you are not going to choose to be offended by my post, then again that is your choice.

Not offended. Off the topic of this thread but I have to weigh in. While I agree with you in theory, tell that to all the people in the USA who demand political correctness. A lot of people are offended by most everything!

Its not the you that is the one who is offended, its the performers when the guest walks out. Taking a child out is the same as removing them for a dining venue for the considerate benefit of the rest of the guests. Everyone gets that and appreciate the consideration that you are showing to others.

People are perceptive and do get unspoken words, and that actions speak louder than words....

My preference would be to stay and put up with a bad performance.I think there is more than enough time on a cruise to do “all” the otherthings. Generally being respectful of the efforts put forth by the entertainersor crew is common sense (to me). Butthat is just my opinion.

Having said that, I hope you (MizDemeanor) also apply thesame philosophy to whatever you do on board so as not to offend the crew in other areas.

I eatwhat I take or order. I respect the long days and efforts that the cooks andchefs put into preparing the ships food. I appreciate the efforts of the waitstaff serving it and the staff who have to clean up afterwards. Food qualityand service is not always what I might like or expect but I understand the effort.I hope you eat what you are served or take and do not throw away food like themountains that do get wasted, because you might be offending those restaurant relatedcrew members.

"If you don’t like a show, just leave. Sorry. "

It's not only rude to the folks around you but

it's rude to the entertainers as well as a distraction.

What is worse is the folks that walk in late right to the front of theater.

They think that just because its so called free show they feel that its alright to come in when ever.

Are they clueless, stupid or just don't give a dam?

On the other hand, once saw a couple sitting front and center at a "standing room only" show.

(Evidently they arrived early for the good seats .)

They must have had a busy day and were tired. Instead of leaving, they slept/snored through half the show.:)

It was kinda distracting.:eek:

I felt empathy for the entertainer.

Edited by $hip$hape

You have restored my faith in humanity

yes i am the same way. I have to admit i don't go to every show, i dislike magic shows, comedy shows unless is someone i particularly want to go see, i dislike jugglers and hypnotists. I pick my shows wisely specially when making a reservation because maybe just maybe if i don't like it i am taking the seat away from someone who would enjoy it.

to each his own, not everyone is respectful of others or have manners for that matter, and the only person you can control is you.

I'll sit through a bad show just to be polite. However, and I love Burn the Floor. On the second cruise that had it, we went to see it again. Unfortunately, I drank way too much before the show started. Half way through I was about to explode. I did leave, regrettable, for the nearest bathroom. When I returned, I just stood at the back and didn't return to my seat. Didn't want to disrupt the other folks again.

My wife and I tend to get seats on the aisle, just in case the show is really bad. I tend to think it pretty rude getting up in the middle of a 45-60 minute show. On our 14 day BA cruise in February we saw a half dozen shows in the theater. What I found really rude is people talking away durning the show, clueless about what was going on around them. Durning one show I had enough, I group of people right behind us were talking about their plans for the next day, (6) people going on and on. This went on for a good 5 minutes, mind you the show had started about 15 minutes before. I could see people turning around and giving them looks. No response from that or anyone from NCL. I turned around, looked at them and politely said "Will you please shut the @#$%& Up, some of us are trying to enjoy the show" 30 seconds later they ran out likes scared rats. As we were leaving I got a couple high fives from the people around us.

My wife and I tend to get seats on the aisle, just in case the show is really bad. I tend to think it pretty rude getting up in the middle of a 45-60 minute show. On our 14 day BA cruise in February we saw a half dozen shows in the theater. What I found really rude is people talking away durning the show, clueless about what was going on around them. Durning one show I had enough, I group of people right behind us were talking about their plans for the next day, (6) people going on and on. This went on for a good 5 minutes, mind you the show had started about 15 minutes before. I could see people turning around and giving them looks. No response from that or anyone from NCL. I turned around, looked at them and politely said "Will you please shut the @#$%& Up, some of us are trying to enjoy the show" 30 seconds later they ran out likes scared rats. As we were leaving I got a couple high fives from the people around us.

LOL LOL oh I've always wanted to do that...BRAVO...i had a similar situation and i think they were drunk...

My preference would be to stay and put up with a bad performance.I think there is more than enough time on a cruise to do “all” the otherthings. Generally being respectful of the efforts put forth by the entertainersor crew is common sense (to me). Butthat is just my opinion.

Having said that, I hope you (MizDemeanor) also apply thesame philosophy to whatever you do on board so as not to offend the crew in other areas.

I eatwhat I take or order. I respect the long days and efforts that the cooks andchefs put into preparing the ships food. I appreciate the efforts of the waitstaff serving it and the staff who have to clean up afterwards. Food qualityand service is not always what I might like or expect but I understand the effort.I hope you eat what you are served or take and do not throw away food like themountains that do get wasted, because you might be offending those restaurant relatedcrew members.

I have no idea what you are saying or the parallel that you are trying to draw.

Go for it!

"Imagine for a moment, for someone to sit thru a 100 minutes show with no intermission

if you have the urge to go and/or have bladder issues ...

when you gotta go or the kids or whomever must,

they will and do ..."

Some of these posts crack me up.

I can't imagine being so uptight over what someone else chooses to do ...

especially when on vacation!

I believe NCL has a DEPENDS diaper Package for the likes of the aforementioned? :p

My motto is; Go, before the show.

Edited by $hip$hape

I have no idea what you are saying or the parallel that you are trying to draw.

If you believe walking out of the theater is offensive to the entertainers, then the parallel is not to offend any staff on board and I use "food" to illustrate the example. Leaving food that you order or take from any of the restaurants/venues is just as offensive or insulting to the cooks, chefs, wait staff, or the kitchen staff in general. Do they work any less than the entertainers...I don't think so.

Considering the volumes of food that get thrown in the trash, it would appear that many have no problem offending other crew members. Based on how you feel about offending entertainers, I was hoping you didn't live by a double standard.

And if you still don't get it, imagine you invited guests over for dinner and spent the day preparing for it and none finished their meal because they didn't like it. Your guests would have offended you (the chef) instead of extending you the courtesy you deserve for the effort if for no other reason. (whether they like it or not).

If you believe walking out of the theater is offensive to the entertainers, then the parallel is not to offend any staff on board and I use "food" to illustrate the example. Leaving food that you order or take from any of the restaurants/venues is just as offensive or insulting to the cooks, chefs, wait staff, or the kitchen staff in general. Do they work any less than the entertainers...I don't think so.

Considering the volumes of food that get thrown in the trash, it would appear that many have no problem offending other crew members. Based on how you feel about offending entertainers, I was hoping you didn't live by a double standard.

And if you still don't get it, imagine you invited guests over for dinner and spent the day preparing for it and none finished their meal because they didn't like it. Your guests would have offended you (the chef) instead of extending you the courtesy you deserve for the effort if for no other reason. (whether they like it or not).

Oh my...You imagine food is a parallel...Just so you know, since it seems you don't, some people likely do eat eat everything put before them because they are more than satisfied with what they have eaten, or because they are not gluttons and do eat to the point of becoming physically unwell from overeating.

I'm not even going to bother to acknowledge the rest of your comments, they are a bit off the reservation.:rolleyes:

I bought $50K worth of art at the onboard auction because I purchased everything they showed me, it would have been rude to the artist not to do so after they spent so much time and effort painting them. Then again maybe it was just because I drank 10-15 glasses of sparkling wine during the auction couldn’t be rude to the people offering it, didn’t want to hurt their feelings either.

Edited by csopi

Just wanted to say that I commend you on how you handled it. I would of High Fived you as well!