Barcelona Questions

pilotswifey

Can anyone give me advice on Barcelona? Looking at booking the Mediterranean cruise that leaves from Barcelona, ends in Rome. We would fly in a day early and spend one night in Barcelona. We would like a decent hotel but don't want to spend a lot. Any advice on transfers to and from the hotel (airport and cruise port)? Thanks in advance! ;)

Can anyone give me advice on Barcelona? Looking at booking the Mediterranean cruise that leaves from Barcelona, ends in Rome. We would fly in a day early and spend one night in Barcelona. We would like a decent hotel but don't want to spend a lot. Any advice on transfers to and from the hotel (airport and cruise port)? Thanks in advance! ;)

Jazz Hotel is a favorite....use a taxi for transportation.

I recently reserved a room for one pre-cruise night at the Hotel Lleo`, which is just a couple of blocks off the famous Las Rambla, the boulevard where there are lots of restaurants and shops.. It was suggested by posters on the Spain thread, and the reviews on Trip Advisor were positive.

Did it online, and they were very prompt in confirming the reservation. The room rate was about 120 euros, including the VAT tax.

Some recommendations since it seems like you will have time for sightseeing: make sure you tour the Sagrada Familia (http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/) and buy your tickets on-line in advance in order to avoid the long entrance lines. It is unique and when the sun is shining in the windows no pictures can do it justice. The audio tour is well worth the extra charge. If you are interested in a city tour, we can highly recommend Barcelona Day Tours (https://barcelonadaytours.com/). We were in Barcelona for a day last October and had a great half day tour with them. We prearranged to be dropped off at the Sagrada Familia and spent a couple of hours there before returning to the ship.

The airport is only about 20-30 minutes from Las Ramblas. This hotel is fabulous with gorgeous modern bathrooms and only a few blocks from Las Rambla http://www.hduquesadecardona.com/overview and the Bouqueria Market https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Boqueria which is the oldest market in Europe - it is a great place to go to buy some food for breakfast and dinner inexpensively or go have tapas in one of the various restaurants along Las Rambla. The market is also an amazing place to look at and. walk around and photograph. There are shops nearby where you can buy wine if you are so inclined and it is about 10 minutes by taxi to the cruise port from this end of Las Ramba. Do take a taxi from the airport and stay off of public transportation as there are lots of pickpockets in Barcelona. In fact, I don't take a purse when I am in Europe for this reason. Taxis in Barcelona are quite inexpensive and plentiful.

I stayed 3 nights in a balcony room at Hotel Continental overlooking Las Ramblas. Very convenient to many places. They arranged a shuttle pickup to port for several of us in the hotel on the same cruise, but taxi’s are a great flat rate option also. It is very pink, but I wouldn’t hesitate staying there again. It’s a very popular place for cruise travelers.

They have a small free 24 hr buffet, plus free beer and wine. There is a Carrefour grocery a couple of blocks down.

The airport is only about 20-30 minutes from Las Ramblas. This hotel is fabulous with gorgeous modern bathrooms and only a few blocks from Las Rambla http://www.hduquesadecardona.com/overview and the Bouqueria Market https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Boqueria which is the oldest market in Europe - it is a great place to go to buy some food for breakfast and dinner inexpensively or go have tapas in one of the various restaurants along Las Rambla. The market is also an amazing place to look at and. walk around and photograph. There are shops nearby where you can buy wine if you are so inclined and it is about 10 minutes by taxi to the cruise port from this end of Las Ramba. Do take a taxi from the airport and stay off of public transportation as there are lots of pickpockets in Barcelona. In fact, I don't take a purse when I am in Europe for this reason. Taxis in Barcelona are quite inexpensive and plentiful.

Just remember the Bouqueria Market is closed on Sundays....also I seem to remember they closed up daily around 6:00pm.

What ever hotel you select, as soon as you hit the main desk, ask the person to make you a reservation for a Cab for the next morning. That morning check with front desk to see if your cab is waiting outside or not. Don't be late for the time you select to use the cab. They are very busy and will not wait around for a late arrival.

Cruise ship departure day ties up a lot cabs and without reservations you may be waiting, and waiting, etc.

Our visit to Barcelona there was 8 ships in harbor on departure day using cabs.

Bob

Be VERY mindful of your belongings, wallet and money. Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets.

I second that. I got pickpocketed on the Metro last August -- the only time in my life I've ever been pickpocketed. Thankfully he just dumped my wallet on the ground... but without the €200 I'd just gotten out of the ATM. It could have been a LOT worse.

But Barcelona is beautiful. If you can possibly stay more than one day, do: but for sure go to Sagrada Familia, which is breathtaking, and to La Pedrera (aka Casa Mila). And if you have time to get out to Montserrat, it's well worth it. (My personal recommendation: Sagrada Familia first thing in the morning, followed by Montserrat, fills a day quite perfectly, and because Montserrat is up in the mountains, being there in the afternoon gets you out of the heat of the day.)