Arriving at embarkation with no documents

apcci2

Has anyone here ever had someon arrive at the port to board only to find you had no paperwork?

Last week in Charleston as we were boarding the Ecstasy, there was a couple that was stopped at the terminal with no documents. They said they left IDs, passports, docs in a folder at home in Georgia.

They were in a panic. I felt bad for them. I can imagine that would be a terrible feeling when you realize you paperwork is several hours away. Seems like a nightmare.

As I understand it this happens on every cruise to many people. Sometimes it can be fixed, like someone left their passport at home but they can have their birth certificate faxed to the port (and they have a government ID already in their possession). Sometimes it can't be fixed (such as the couple in your story who left everything at home). This is one of the reasons why I triple check everything before we leave, I don't even take DW's word for it.

We had this happen one time in New Orleans...Hubs left his driver's license at home, but had his passport. He found out when he went to purchase something the night before with a credit card and was like, "Oh..crap." He had a friend (who was cat-sitting for us) take a photo of his ID, which she emailed him and he printed out at the hotel's business center.

This is always my biggest fear. I always put together a cruise notebook with dividers for the different sections, Flights and Transportation, Hotel, Luggage Tags, Embarkation Info, Insurance, Excursions and Reservations, etc. Everything that was booked or needed for the cruise (yes, I am anal and I own it :) ). I task DH with keeping track of the passports and I keep track of the notebook. I'm so afraid one day I will forget to put it in my bag.

We had this happen one time in New Orleans...Hubs left his driver's license at home, but had his passport. He found out when he went to purchase something the night before with a credit card and was like, "Oh..crap." He had a friend (who was cat-sitting for us) take a photo of his ID, which she emailed him and he printed out at the hotel's business center.

You don’t need a driver’s license if you have a passport. You wouldn’t need a birth certificate either. If you have a passport, that’s all you need.

I was on a flight to Europe from Charlotte. As the plane was being pushed back, the lady in the seat next to me realized she had left her purse at the gate. Inside her purse was her passport, which meant when the plane landed she would not be let through immigration and would have to immediately fly back.

Happy ending - she told the flight attendant, who told the pilot, who radioed to the gate agent, who recovered the purse. They brought the purse out to the plane which was waiting on the tarmac to start engines. They took a long pole with a hook and passed the purse through the cockpit window.

Now that is customer service!

This is one of my biggest cruise nightmares! We always drive to port, and every stop at a gas station or restaurant, I unzip my suitcase and do a document check, just for piece of mind.

I do the same thing! In the shuttle, I always check several times to make sure docs are still there. LOL DH thinks I'm insane sometimes. But other times, he's glad I'm so on top of the situation.

I had forgotten to print our boarding pass for a Disney Cruise one year. I remembered as we were driving to the port. I whipped into a hotel and used the business center to print it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The boarding passes are not that important (we lost these in the wind one time walking off the shuttle bus,) but passports, drivers license, and/or birth certificates are a must. Thanks for the reminder to double, triple check to make sure we have these.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

This is one of my biggest cruise nightmares! We always drive to port, and every stop at a gas station or restaurant, I unzip my suitcase and do a document check, just for piece of mind.

DH does the same thing. We travel with 2 messenger bags in the car with us, besides the suitcases. His has all the travel documents in a ziploc bag or in a manila envelope. Mine has all the charger cords, extra earbuds, etc. And he makes me check at every single gas station or rest stop we stop at to make sure nothing is missing because he's a bit OCD about it.

I usually keep my passport in my backpack, my birth certificate in my suitcase and keep my passport card in my wallet - just in case the worst happens - I always fly to port - so more chances something gets lost/misplaced!

Three different ways to get on the ship in three different places!

Me too. I have to double check

Re: leaving passport or other documents at home by mistake:

I have a packing list on my computer. I highlight each one when I have packed the item. The list includes medications, OTC things for cruise (cough drops, ginger pills, etc.), also clothes for formal night, if required. The list can be adapted whether I am going on a cruise, bus trip, train or to a friend's for a week. For cruises etc. I make sure that if I take a purse, it has a separate 'purse within a purse' to keep passport & airline tickets. In another pouch I have my cruise documents etc. I also some times take a "Lug" bag rather than a purse and again - use a separate pouch for passport & airline tickets and one for other important documents, etc. I also carry a copy of my passport, airline tickets, cruise line tickets etc. in my carry-on.

Another tip is to have 2 credit cards especially for travelling and as I quite often travel solo, put them in separate pouches along with cash divided. I take a small purse when going on excursions which has one credit card, some cash, copy of passport etc. and anything that I might need for the day. I use one of the purses that goes over my head and around my underarm, one brand is 'pac safe' which is usually available at AAA stores or on-line. The other documents or $$ are left in the safe

My list has had additions over time including OTC as they can be expensive on the ship.

I also double check my list - having highlighted the items -- I then put a check mark on the item. I am very OTC or anal in that regard and do not want to have something that I will need sitting at home.

Hope this might help. My son gave me his list for packing on my very first cruise which was Carnival and I have made additions/deletions since then. AND -- I always carry my medications in my purse or carry-on. I have read a few threads on CC where someone's luggage did not arrive at their destination and they had packed their medications in the suitcase. I also put one change of clothes in carry-on in case luggage arrives late to stateroom - that way I can change for dinner.

Here's to happy cruising:D

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that double and triple checks for my documents. I fear leaving them at home. On my last cruise I scanned my documents and emailed them to myself just in case.

Yup, do that as well in addition to my notebook. I also have a flash drive with everything on it.

Add me to the list of obsessive compulsive document checkers.

Roz

I'm with ya, Roz, I'm with ya. :)