Arriving at embarkation with no documents

apcci2

I triple check for my passport and cruise info and keep them in my carry-on bag. Last cruise I accidentally put them in the bag I was checking and had to dig through it before the stevedore took the bag to the ship!

Last cruise we went one was leaving out of New Orleans. We drove into Cruise Terminal Parking garage and stopped and showed the personal our documents and they took out bags. All was good. We got back in car and drove around and around and around to get a parking space and got our carry on stuff out of car to walk to elevator and notice that my folder with all our stuff we had showed the man was missing...i remember just then that i placed this folder on top of the car, while getting our bags out for poter downstairs... so wife stayed a parking space with tote ons and i drove back down to see if it had fallen off car... no paper work was found. i got to the personal that we showed folder to and he said as soon as we drove off they saw it and one of them got in the gold cart and went to find us... good thing that we have a bright orange HHR when i got back to car my wife had it n her hand never to let me have it again....i went on a mission trip to Guatemala one time. I was the leader and I had preached to this group who had never been out of the country about alway keeping your passport on you... even sleep with it under your pillow. On the day we left the hotel and met with the local missionary, we went to his house for a few mins.. i ask all of the team memebers about there passport and low and behold, i didnt have mine... went back to hotel and the passport had fallen off bed during the night and was under bed....wow they havent let me forget that till this day....God is good Happy Easter one week to go for us and we will be back in New Orleans with the paperwork in my wifes hand

I read about a couple who missed their cruise because the tote bag containing their passports was stolen from their rental car. Ever since then I take my passport with me when stopping at a rest area, just in case.

Agreed!

My passport and other important documents as well as my Epinephrine Injector are always in my long-strapped purse worn across my body.

I, too, have everything on a flash drive that stays in my pocket at all times

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

And what happens , if you loose that, flashdrive, ????, jump in the hot tube etc???

Far better, is to photograph, all important documents, credit cards/atm- BOTH sides, passport, license, etc and EMAIL them to yourself. You can ALWAYS get access to your email somehow,.

You don’t need a driver’s license if you have a passport. You wouldn’t need a birth certificate either. If you have a passport, that’s all you need.

Not always. My SIL went into a bank on one of the islands and tried to cash a travelers check with her passport as an ID. The bank refused to cash the check unless she had a driver's license. She said it was her ID but they said their bank does not consider a passport an ID. Legally, they were wrong but if that's their rule, that's their rule.

And what happens , if you loose that, flashdrive, ????, jump in the hot tube etc???

Far better, is to photograph, all important documents, credit cards/atm- BOTH sides, passport, license, etc and EMAIL them to yourself. You can ALWAYS get access to your email somehow,.

So a picture of my passport and/or birth certificate would be accepted by Carnival? I thought they had to have the actual document. If this is the case, I'm photographing everything immediately!! Great insurance policy!

I usually keep my passport in my backpack, my birth certificate in my suitcase and keep my passport card in my wallet - just in case the worst happens - I always fly to port - so more chances something gets lost/misplaced!

Three different ways to get on the ship in three different places!

But with just the passport card in your wallet, you wouldn't be able to fly home?!

So a picture of my passport and/or birth certificate would be accepted by Carnival? I thought they had to have the actual document. If this is the case, I'm photographing everything immediately!! Great insurance policy!

The birth certificate, yes, the passport, no. The birth certificate can be a copy under the DHS regulations (although it is best to bring the original).

But with just the passport card in your wallet, you wouldn't be able to fly home?!

But the cruise would be saved if something happened to the passport and since that is the crux of the thread it's a good back up.

I carry the flash drive attached to my S&S lanyard only while off the ship. Nowhere near the pool or hot tub.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps. But the ship will try to leave passports with port agents when passengers are left behind.

The birth certificate, yes, the passport, no. The birth certificate can be a copy under the DHS regulations (although it is best to bring the original).

It is my understanding that "originals" are kept by the appropriate authority. When one gets a BC, one actually receives a copy certified by the authority.

It is my understanding that "originals" are kept by the appropriate authority. When one gets a BC, one actually receives a copy certified by the authority.

Yes, and that is considered your "original" birth certificate. A copy is simply a copy of the birth certificate that you received from the issuing authority.

Someone I know was put off a RC ship in Falmouth Jamaica. Lets just say that him and brown liquor dont get along too well and he had too much brown liquor, got in some trouble and was put off the ship. His Passport book was at home in Gainesville FL. All he had was a Passport card. Although it took 14 hours to get back home, a hassle in Miami from Customs and to the tune of 688.00 for his ticket.

Someone I know was put off a RC ship in Falmouth Jamaica. Lets just say that him and brown liquor dont get along too well and he had too much brown liquor, got in some trouble and was put off the ship. His Passport book was at home in Gainesville FL. All he had was a Passport card. Although it took 14 hours to get back home, a hassle in Miami from Customs and to the tune of 688.00 for his ticket.

Second time I've heard of someone being allowed to fly back to the US without a passport. Wouldn't his ticket have been the same cost with a passport?

I am one of those who are very careful too. I haven't seen it as much lately, but I do recall seeing posts here and there when I first started cruising of folks very unhappy because they were unable to board due to lack of proper documentation (or ability to get it). I picked up one of those divided plastic envelope folders that has a rubber band built in around it. Super bright pink so easily seen. It always has a full copy of ALL boarding/booking information and sections for each port of call with excursion information and even receipts/documentation for parking, pre-cruise purchases, hotel reservations, etc. It is always in my hand as we go through the entire boarding process and the rubber band is nice to slide the next set of documentation we may need while standing in line so that it is ready to go. Once we get through checking in, it fits right inside my carry-on, all securely stowed away.

I had not thought of scanning and emailing all the docs to myself. Most likely will next cruise.

If there is one thing that keeps me up the night before a cruise it's dreading leaving something behind....especially paperwork. I carry a backpack with all the important stuff (chargers, cords, change of clothes, and paperwork). I double and triple check the night before and the morning of our trip to ensure we have everything. And I do the folder with sections as well.

I usually keep my passport in my backpack, my birth certificate in my suitcase and keep my passport card in my wallet - just in case the worst happens - I always fly to port - so more chances something gets lost/misplaced!

Three different ways to get on the ship in three different places!

Different ways and different places is a great idea! I was always told for a couple you each should have a different credit card with you in case one loses their wallet (or has it stolen). I am super OCD about this type of stuff too. But once we got to the beach on my husband's Jeep and I realized I had left my wallet laying in the seat of my car. I had brought my purse but my wallet was in the seat of my car which was 4 hours away at home!!!! ARGHHHHHH

Leave the house: Check Passports.

Every time we get gas: Check Passports

Every time we get back in the car after eating: Check Passports

Morning when we leave hotel: Check Passports

I can tell my family loves it by the way they roll their eyes and moan.

Wouldn't his ticket have been the same cost with a passport?

Yes it would have :) Sorry for any confusion. My main point there was, if you decide to be stupid on a cruise ship and you get put off, a last minute flight back home is gonna cost ya, big time :)