Project Runway?

BlueHerons

What sad looking outfits for a red carpet event!

I really didn't think the winner looked much better than the loser. Cassanova did the most interesting dress, but what ugly fabric! Emilio's was the only one I could possibly see on a red carpet, not that is was that interesting.

Those fabrics just weren't right for the challenge.

Althea really missed the mark on this one...the fabric she had to use was REALLY not suitable for red carpet unless possibly for a very casual event. I think she should have done something more drapey but it just wasn't good!

Funny how they liked that aweful feather-y thing by Uli but the rather restrained trim on Emilio's was "too much"? LOL

I thought LK's "p" ( sorry I don't know how to spell it)pants were dated looking blech!

I really have been disappointed in the challenges and the way they have been done...

Hoping for better in the future

Much better looks with unconventional materials than usual. But, it also seems like this challenge took place later in the competition and they've all done it before which might explain that.

I love the rare times that I'm thinking something when I first see the outfits that one of the judges then says. I was thinking Ivy's outfit did look junior -- or even pre-teen; and I thought Laura Kathleen's model looked chunky in her dress.

I'm now wondering if Emilio might make the final 4 instead of Ivy. For him to be that unhappy with a dress that wasn't all that bad.......?

Interesting that the "best" were almost copies of each other!

Silver-gold and almost the exact same shape. I thought that Uli and Anthony Ryann's dresses were so similar that they could have both been awarded the win!;)

I am glad to see Cassanova go...I think he just did a blah dress and it didn't even use much of his own materials

I agree about Ivy...used that same gold color again and I liked that she made sleeves for the dress but it was too simple for this challenge. Unless she really makes something spectacular next time I think she will be out. I have been surprised at how much trouble Ivy has had with the sewing since I seem to remember her doing very well at that before.

It's my turn to be gone for a while so....you all keep the thread going!:cool:

Much better runway show than I expected.

I don't get why people like Emilio so much, I personally haven't liked much of anything he's done so far. Ivy is slipping fast. If it were up to me, these two would be the next to go. Then Josh. I was not sad to see Cassanova go...I sense that I'm in a mood this season, of course, I didn't care for him or Emilio their first time around, either.

Anthony Ryan has been doing very well, as has Uli. My favorite to win is Uli.

Edited by Happy ks

Disappointed. Of course, the 20s are my favorite fashion era (along with early 15th century, haha), so that accounts for some of it.

All I can figure is that Emilio doesn't know the 20s from the 40s. Actually, Joshua's dress looked the most like an updating of the 20s. The dropped-waist feel was right while his draping was more modern. It was poorly accessorized, though. The hip was the perfect place for a piece of glitz -- it was just the wrong glitz.

Anthony Ryan's outfit must have looked better in person than on TV. Uli's was typical Uli. The other's don't even bear mentioning.

Here's a link if you want to check out the designs again:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway-all-stars/season-2/rate-the-runway/episode-8#id=1

If I were a judge, the bottom two would have been Emilio and Ivy, with either of them going home...maybe both of them. Emilio's dress was not only matronly looking even on a beautiful model, if you look closely at the back the construction was poor. Seams pulling on the left back and the (lace?) appliques unevenly applied on the back of the dress. I really didn't like the print he chose. Ivy's dress was so poorly constructed all around and I think she's better than that...probably just the wrong fabric for her vision.

I think Anthony Ryan deserved the win this week. Although, Uli remains my favorite. Josh just has strange taste with colors. Laura Kathleen...sent home for another jumpsuit, no surprise there.

Is it just me, or is this whole season rather blah? Am I just tired of the format and I'm expecting too much?

It's so much work to construct any of these garments and I applaud the fact these people even have anything walking down the runway. I rarely sew myself any more, really home craft or a simple pair of pajama pants are all I care to do. The work involved, the fitting...all of it just isn't worth my time when you can go buy a garment for about the same cost (many times less).

There were a couple cute dresses last night, the top two were great. For the first time this season, I actually liked Emilio's dress...just not the color he selected.

A couple things that seemed odd to me. They called it "ready to wear" and I hardly saw any difference in what they already had been creating (other than the Christmas ornament challenge). Edit...maybe some of the 20's challenge as well. And, the ready to wear priced at $500-700 :eek: and called moderately priced? I even went to the Elie Tahari site and the short dresses were all priced under $500.

We all have our price point, for me I do my best to buy on sale and rarely go over $100 for a dress.

Edit again....Ryan's dress is already on the Elie Tahari site for sale. I thought it looked familiar, they changed the color. Cute dress, priced @ $398.00

http://www.elietahari.com/womens-designer-clothing/womens-dresses/liv-dress/ED8J9602,default,pd.html?dwvar_ED8J9602_color=FCK&start=1&cgid=women-shop-dresses&PathToProduct=women-shop-dresses

Edited by Happy ks

Ryan's dress is already on the Elie Tahari site for sale. I thought it looked familiar, they changed the color. Cute dress, priced @ $398.00

http://www.elietahari.com/womens-designer-clothing/womens-dresses/liv-dress/ED8J9602,default,pd.html?dwvar_ED8J9602_color=FCK&start=1&cgid=women-shop-dresses&PathToProduct=women-shop-dresses

It looks like they also deleted the pockets. I loved the idea of pockets.

It looks like they also deleted the pockets. I loved the idea of pockets.

You're right, I didn't notice that!

They did state the design was "refreshed in collaboration with Ryan Auld". Odd, since the judges so liked the pockets and Elie himself stated the pockets wouldn't add that much to the construction cost.

I would have liked Uli's dress to win, too bad they couldn't produce both of them.

Thanks for posting the link! It's really a very different dress, isn't it.

Many seasons back one of the designers made an evening dress that was to be worn by Miss USA in the Miss Universe competition. I watched, expecting there to be a number of differences. It was exactly the same! Not this time! Smaller side panels, color, print, pockets -- lots of changes

Buh bye, Ivy. She wore two different tops in this episode with sheer bits on the shoulders that I would go out and buy right now. In fact, I'm adding them to my design sketch book to try and adapt. Too bad about her outfit.

They did state the design was "refreshed in collaboration with Ryan Auld". Odd, since the judges so liked the pockets and Elie himself stated the pockets wouldn't add that much to the construction cost.

Elie said the cost to add pockets was modest and that you had to weigh the cost against the benefits (or words to that effect). I think they made the wrong choice by dropping the pocket design. I actually would have considered purchasing the dress knowing that it was designed by Anthony Ryan and the money raised was going to a charity - and most especially because of that great pocket design.

Wouldn't a dress like that with pockets work great on a cruise? I dislike carrying stuff around, and slipping my sea pass card into the pocket would have been so easy! I loved the slimming vertical design of the print and the further slimming effect of the side panels. As redesigned - no thank you, Mr. Tahari. He does seem like a wonderful human being and I loved his generous critiques of the designers' pieces, though.

Wouldn't a dress like that with pockets work great on a cruise? I dislike carrying stuff around, and slipping my sea pass card into the pocket would have been so easy!

Absolutely! Almost none of my clothes have pockets and I hate to carry a purse around on a cruise ship.

I, too, crave pockets! Chronic sinusitis (a Midwestern curse) makes carrying a tissue vital.

My real question about this episode - what was it with the skirt(?) Joanna was wearing? It almost looked like the darts at the waistline had exploded open! I found that treatment (especially in black and white) to be unflattering and distracting. But then, I am suppose that I am not a fashion-plate myself. And $400-500 for a non-extra-special occasion dress is not something I would even consider!

Happy New Year!

My real question about this episode - what was it with the skirt(?) Joanna was wearing? It almost looked like the darts at the waistline had exploded open! I found that treatment (especially in black and white) to be unflattering and distracting. But then, I am suppose that I am not a fashion-plate myself.

I thought that skirt made her belly look huge. And I feel terrible saying that - she's such a skinny minnie.

Joanna's skirt with darts was awful.

And, this week, so was the dress Anthony Ryan made for his military lady. Either Isaac is in love with AR or he was just trying to make the woman feel better with his positive comments. It was horrible, especially for a well-endowed woman. She needed a v-neck (it could be a narrow, less revealing v) and a flared skirt to accent her womanliness.

I think Joshua's "model" won it for him as much as his dress did. How can you not love her and her working dog? The dress was cute and the sheer bit at the hem a good idea to steal, but Uli's was much, much nicer. Both would be good evening cruise wear, tho.

It seems like they never cut to 3 anymore -- they just cut someone out after they've made their collection. Yawn.

Is everyone as unexcited about the PR-Teams concept as I am? Twice the drama and half the clothes. Ugh.

I thought AR made his poor woman look like a cow! :eek: The bodice of that dress was unforgivable. If he had taken the V strap and cut it into the bodice to make it more of a v-neck, it would have been so much better for her. The dress reminded me of a home ec project from high school. There was no obvious support and she really needed it. She is a larger woman, but not as big as he made her look. I was horrified by it and I usually like him.

I must have fallen asleep just after they told him he was the loser, because I didn't remember seeing that they were going to have them all do a collection. Did they say something about Paris or was that another show (or maybe I dreamed it)? These late night shows are killing me!:rolleyes:

Edited by 5326jan

Well it looks like they didn't anticipate the two strongest designers being on the bottom and didn't want either one to go home. If Josh hadn't come out with a good design he probably would have left. I can't seek Isaak having a hissy fit over him leaving as he has over AR and Emilio.

I am surprised they are doing another challenge rather than letting everyone do fashion week collections, since they have sent 4 to fashion week before. Usually one gets eliminated in a pre-show of their three best looks.

Did anyone notice the cruise ship in the background at the Intrepid? That is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.... my initial guess was Princess, but their ships tend to dock in Brooklyn.

I saw the cruise ship, but could not identify it. Too bad I delete as soon as I watch the show, or else I would have gone back and looked more closely.

I thought Josh's dress was cute, probably the best he's done all season. I liked Uli's dress, I thought she did a better construction job, but I just can't stand those high/low hems. I don't even like a handkerchief hem or an uneven hem...just personal preference. I just like a plain old hem in a length that makes the wearer look great.

The bottom two, I don't know which one I disliked more. I thought Emilio's dress was atrocious, the construction and fit were so terrible, but I did like the intended shape and the color. AR's dress was better constructed, but the shape...excuse me? Could he possibly have done anything less flattering to her figure?

I'm looking forward to next week, should be fun seeing them in Paris :)

I don't think there is a clear winner yet, but my vote is still for Uli...I just love her.

I saw the cruise ship, but could not identify it. Too bad I delete as soon as I watch the show, or else I would have gone back and looked more closely.

I thought Josh's dress was cute, probably the best he's done all season. I liked Uli's dress, I thought she did a better construction job, but I just can't stand those high/low hems. I don't even like a handkerchief hem or an uneven hem...just personal preference. I just like a plain old hem in a length that makes the wearer look great.

The bottom two, I don't know which one I disliked more. I thought Emilio's dress was atrocious, the construction and fit were so terrible, but I did like the intended shape and the color. AR's dress was better constructed, but the shape...excuse me? Could he possibly have done anything less flattering to her figure?

I'm looking forward to next week, should be fun seeing them in Paris :)

I don't think there is a clear winner yet, but my vote is still for Uli...I just love her.

Oh, phew! I was afraid I had been hallucinating or something! :cool::)

I must have fallen asleep just after they told him he was the loser, because I didn't remember seeing that they were going to have them all do a collection. Did they say something about Paris or was that another show (or maybe I dreamed it)? These late night shows are killing me!:rolleyes:

I guess I fell asleep. ha ha. I missed the Paris reference completely. Or I might have cut it off too soon? I never watch the "coming up" bits. That's why I always record the show so I can fast forward the ones inside the program, too.