Just back from Regal Princess

eyoreblu

Just back from a week long Western Caribbean cruise with the Regal Princess. Had a great week because of the company, there were six of us all there for Spring Break from California. Great times and memories with the girls, but some not so happy thoughts about the ship.

Embarkation was delayed due to Coast Guard inspection and we had been given notification of that. The employees both at the check in counter and to direct people onto the ship were some of the most unfriendly I have ever seen for Princess. Not a great start to the cruise!

We were in a balcony cabin E203. Ok on size, the beds were split into a twin. For two females, we have learned to bring some wire hangers as there are never enough and we just throw away at the end of the cruise. This was my 4th Princess cruise and second year in a row on the Regal. The room stank like fish! When I complained, our room steward said he would have the carpet cleaned in the morning. Not sure if this was ever done, the smell was still there at the end of the week. I smelled one of the pillows and it was bad and did get that replaced immediately. The mattress was rock hard! We had adjoining balconies with E201 and E125. The balcony on E125 was wider and much better than ours. Would get that cabin if I could next time. No complaints about cabin steward kept our ice bucket filled and gave us two Patters every night.

Disappointed in room service for breakfast, there is basically nothing you can order. I used to order eggs, sausage and toast and now all you can get is Danish, croissant, and a breakfast sandwich with Canadian bacon. We had anytime dining and were able to make that work for us except the service was so extremely slow every night with very little interaction with the servers. We tried to engage but I just think they are completely overworked. It took us over 20 minutes to get bar service and coffee on two separate nights. Food was almost the exact same as last year and would love to see some new items changed out. Obviously I did not starve and could always find something. I did find the lobster tail to be of good flavor this sailing, along with the Beef Wellington. The buffet is the buffet and just find bites of things that I like. The international Café had amazing treats every day, but again the service staff was very unfriendly. Also disappointed that the Pub Lunch no longer includes shrimp and chips. Seems like they just keep taking away more and more!

Did excursions both with Princess and outside of Princess and had fun on all. Did a bike tour of Princess Cays and that was worth every penny, something different to do.

Overall, again, amazing cruise because of the company and cannot complain to be on vacation, but so disappointing about the level of service almost everywhere on the ship. Not just the Princess employees, so many angry people on board, makes me very sad. Overall, not the best cruise ever and one of the most disappointing, but it will definitely not stop me from cruising.

Please feel free to ask away!!!

The Regal wasn't our favorite ship by far, although we had no complaints about the meals or service. We mostly don't like the layout of the ship and the small balconies; even though we had booked one of the larger balconies, the regular ones are teeny.

I just want to say, I always ask for extra hangers the first day when the steward comes to meet you., on any cruise line. I tell them that I am not in any big hurry, as I know they are very busy that day, but have always gotten as many as I need sometime the first day.

That, and a top sheet, if there isn't one, and a blanket, if available (they are not always) are all I ask for.

We were on same cruise, our 1st Princess. We are RCI cruisers and embarkation was easiest we've experienced. Friendly, efficient person who checked us in. Our balcony room was clean on arrival and very well maintained all week. We ate breakfast and dinner in MDR, lunch at buffet. Again friendly staff. Witnessed 2 arguments by passengers saving seats in theaters. Disembarking was just as easy and quick. We had a great week. Sorry things were so different for you.

i was on the same cruise and had a great time. friendly staff and best entertainment ever on any princess cruise. clean cabin and attentive attendant. breakfast and dinner, anytime dining in the MDR had efficient smiling waitstaff. international cafe had great selections.

the only fault was the 3-4 pickleball hours on the sports court. i called the hotel director and the next day, voila ,a sea day,the sports court was open to anyone and there were many basketball cruisers of all ages enjoying the venue.

one of the best cruises...

We were also on this cruise. Despite the Coast Guard inspection, we were not waiting long in the terminal before boarding (we are Platinum). We were on board by 12:45. We had a aft deluxe balcony on the Caribe deck, and it was great. Wilson was our room steward, and he was the best we have ever had. While in Ocho Rios a swarm of bees came onto our balcony (and the neighboring balcony) and a man in full extermination gear had to come and kill them all. There were probably 1000+ bees! Luckily they got it all cleared up before our balcony dinner. Dinners in the dining room were great, and we really appreciated that during Cozumel it was open seating since our excursion ended after our dinner time. We were actually able to sit at our regular table. We used EZ Check for the first time, and it was great. We loved the layout of the Regal (first time on her).

Disappointed in room service for breakfast, there is basically nothing you can order. I used to order eggs, sausage and toast and now all you can get is Danish, croissant, and a breakfast sandwich with Canadian bacon.

Food was almost the exact same as last year and would love to see some new items changed out.

Also disappointed that the Pub Lunch no longer includes shrimp and chips. Seems like they just keep taking away more and more!

I've been sailing on Princess since 2007 and, as far as I've always known, only full suite passengers get a hot breakfast from room service. Everyone else gets a continental breakfast. I stand corrected if this has changed.

We had prawns & chips for Pub Lunch on our Regal cruise in November, 2017. Love them!

I do agree with you that the MDR menus haven't been changed significantly in years and are stale. I have the menus memorized! :') Wish they'd get a creative chef who could come up with new dishes. Frankly, I enjoyed dinner in the buffet as much as the MDR because they had different items.

Seems like they just keep taking away more and more!

Sorry to say the OP used multiple "alternative facts" to draw this unjustified conclusion:

• As already recounted above they could never have had eggs, sausage and toast from room service breakfast previously unless they were in a full suite;
  • Pub lunch alternates between two menus. Shrimp and Chips is on the second one. So if they went on the first day pub lunch was offered they would not have had it--but all they had to do was ask and they would have been told what day to return.
  • "The buffet is the buffet" Hardly. I prefer to be served as well but fully agree with the near-unanimous opinions that the buffet on the Royal-class ships blows away the other Princess ships and most evey other line I have sailed. In fact I would plan to eat most of my meals there (or Alftedo's) should I ever sail Royal or Regal again.
  • International Cafe staff is supposed to be fast and efficient. I am pleased that service there does not require a 10 minute conversation with the barista as at that ubiquitous overpriced west coast coffee concoction chain on land.

I will concede that shoreside employees at Port Everglades are notoriously unfriendly. Just makes it more pleasurable to finally step onboard--and more abrupt returning to reality at the end.

We didn't even look at the Room Service breakfast on our last cruise, as we were near the IC.. and went to the MDR for a nice breakfast on some days.

I don't remember that breakfast sandwich even being on the menu before then.

If not, at least that is a bit of an improvement.

Can anyone tell me what that is like.

is it a real egg, or pre-fab folded 'fake' eggs?

We didn't even look at the Room Service breakfast on our last cruise, as we were near the IC.. and went to the MDR for a nice breakfast on some days.

I don't remember that breakfast sandwich even being on the menu before then.

If not, at least that is a bit of an improvement.

Can anyone tell me what that is like.

is it a real egg, or pre-fab folded 'fake' eggs?

Though the egg appeared to be whole (not reconstituted) the sandwich was obviously frozen and reheated. On a par with ones you nuke up yourself at home. You can get a fresher tasting one from any fast food outlet. Or even at Wawa.

The breakfast sandwich has been on the room service menu, and available at the IC in the morning, since at least 2012 (first--and last--cruise I tried it).

Sorry to say the OP used multiple "alternative facts" to draw this unjustified conclusion:

• As already recounted above they could never have had eggs, sausage and toast from room service breakfast previously unless they were in a full suite;
  • Pub lunch alternates between two menus. Shrimp and Chips is on the second one. So if they went on the first day pub lunch was offered they would not have had it--but all they had to do was ask and they would have been told what day to return.
  • "The buffet is the buffet" Hardly. I prefer to be served as well but fully agree with the near-unanimous opinions that the buffet on the Royal-class ships blows away the other Princess ships and most evey other line I have sailed. In fact I would plan to eat most of my meals there (or Alftedo's) should I ever sail Royal or Regal again.
  • International Cafe staff is supposed to be fast and efficient. I am pleased that service there does not require a 10 minute conversation with the barista as at that ubiquitous overpriced west coast coffee concoction chain on land.

I will concede that shoreside employees at Port Everglades are notoriously unfriendly. Just makes it more pleasurable to finally step onboard--and more abrupt returning to reality at the end.

Just off the Regal on 3/25 - pub lunch only offered 1 day - the last day...had the 'prawns' - wife had the fish

Place was packed with a waiting line

As already recounted above they could never have had eggs, sausage and toast from room service breakfast previously unless they were in a full suite;

Lots of people here have bragged here about writing in hot items on the room service breakfast hang tag,

and getting them.

Though, I agree it was never offered.

I always thought doing so was rude, as one would delay other room service customers

who were following the rules.

Just off the Regal on 3/25 - pub lunch only offered 1 day - the last day...had the 'prawns' - wife had the fish

Place was packed with a waiting line

Pub on last day, specifically asked server for prawns said not available. I will know to question more next time.

Thanks!

it was on our menu...we ate early - closer to opening at 11:30 as I remember...

Swear makes me wonder if we were on the same ship. Went right at noon, right after bingo! :-)

No Prawns and chips, asked specifically and told no.

Too funny!

Leslie

Just back from a week long Western Caribbean cruise with the Regal Princess. Had a great week because of the company, there were six of us all there for Spring Break from California. Great times and memories with the girls, but some not so happy thoughts about the ship.

Embarkation was delayed due to Coast Guard inspection and we had been given notification of that. The employees both at the check in counter and to direct people onto the ship were some of the most unfriendly I have ever seen for Princess. Not a great start to the cruise!

We were in a balcony cabin E203. Ok on size, the beds were split into a twin. For two females, we have learned to bring some wire hangers as there are never enough and we just throw away at the end of the cruise. This was my 4th Princess cruise and second year in a row on the Regal. The room stank like fish! When I complained, our room steward said he would have the carpet cleaned in the morning. Not sure if this was ever done, the smell was still there at the end of the week. I smelled one of the pillows and it was bad and did get that replaced immediately. The mattress was rock hard! We had adjoining balconies with E201 and E125. The balcony on E125 was wider and much better than ours. Would get that cabin if I could next time. No complaints about cabin steward kept our ice bucket filled and gave us two Patters every night.

Disappointed in room service for breakfast, there is basically nothing you can order. I used to order eggs, sausage and toast and now all you can get is Danish, croissant, and a breakfast sandwich with Canadian bacon. We had anytime dining and were able to make that work for us except the service was so extremely slow every night with very little interaction with the servers. We tried to engage but I just think they are completely overworked. It took us over 20 minutes to get bar service and coffee on two separate nights. Food was almost the exact same as last year and would love to see some new items changed out. Obviously I did not starve and could always find something. I did find the lobster tail to be of good flavor this sailing, along with the Beef Wellington. The buffet is the buffet and just find bites of things that I like. The international Café had amazing treats every day, but again the service staff was very unfriendly. Also disappointed that the Pub Lunch no longer includes shrimp and chips. Seems like they just keep taking away more and more!

Did excursions both with Princess and outside of Princess and had fun on all. Did a bike tour of Princess Cays and that was worth every penny, something different to do.

Overall, again, amazing cruise because of the company and cannot complain to be on vacation, but so disappointing about the level of service almost everywhere on the ship. Not just the Princess employees, so many angry people on board, makes me very sad. Overall, not the best cruise ever and one of the most disappointing, but it will definitely not stop me from cruising.

we were on the Regal back in December and we also thought there was a large percentage of seriously unfriendly staff. There are always a few, that's just life, but it seemed like WAY more than what we were accustomed to. They might be overworked (I could never keep up) so we don't get too upset about it, but it can be a bit of a bummer.

We were on the same cruise (I posted my review as a response on one of the other threads about it below). I didn't encounter any staff who were unfriendly.

One thing I forgot to point out that the robes that were provided did not fit my wife or me. Now I know I've put on a few pounds, but I'm not obese by any means. I doubt this robe would have fit three-quarters of the people who were on the cruise that week (except the kids).

No need to bring wire hangers

Order magnetic ones on Amazon

38733919362_0f7d7a6ac0_b.jpgMagnetic Hooks

Use them on the ceiling or the walls

We had ten days on a Halloween cruise last year and had a great time with our three under six grandchilden that was their first cruise.

Howard

No need to bring wire hangers

Order magnetic ones on Amazon

Howard

Or just ask your steward for wire hangers. The ships have lots of them since clothes are returned from the ships' laundries on wire hangers.

Thanks for posting your review. We sailed on the Regal in February and fortunately did not encounter the problems you did. We almost always eat breakfast in the dining room, so the room service breakfast menu doesn't matter to us. Even when we had a suite, we enjoyed Sabatini's too much to order room service breakfast except for the last morning when Sabatini's was closed.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your cruise on the Regal. We think she is one of the best cruise ships afloat with her happier than happy crew and excellent level of service. The MDR food may be dumbed down across the entire Princess fleet but the Regal is still a great cruise experience. Outstanding compared to other Princess ships.