Im sad to say, but Im on my way, Goodbye Celebrity.

nancyshaw

S&S cheesecake is the best!!!

We have found the food on Celebrity to be variable, especially from ship to ship. We found the MDR food on Equinox to be pretty good, with a few misses. We found the MDR food on Infinity to be pretty bad. MDR food on Summit was very good. Buffets were all fine although sometimes hard to find the food stations on the M ships.

We have done 2 cruises on Oceania Marina which we loved, really good food.

2 early on on HAL. Food on one was great, on the other was bad.

Just did Anthem of the Seas 12-day cruise. Was kind of dreading it because of size of ship and some CC reviews but food, service, entertainment were all surprisingly good.

Had a wonderful time on every cruise.

We are on viking ocean right now. Have been loyal celebrity cruisers but just booked two more viking ocean cruises. Food outstanding, wonderful staff, cabins well designed ( bathrooms are sooooo much better). Clientele is same age demographic as celebrity but well traveled and we've found to be quite enjoyable. First time we've enjoyed every shared table. No nickel diming, art shows or constant promotions. I think we've found a great alternative. But will still sail celebrity on some itineraries.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

This thread reminds me very much of the movie Midnight in Paris with Owen Wilson. We all miss “good Ol’ days” [emoji6] the reality is that everything changes- how many land restaurants offer true silver service now? How many hotels offer true butler service? Maybe we should try to work out whether the reason for our dislikes/complains is that we don’t want to accept changes or the service/ quality has declined too much. My DH and I are relatively new to cruising, and it’s good as we don’t compare with the bye gone days, we just evaluate whether things/services/food is good or not do good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A newbie of 5 cruises [emoji568] takes me awhile to save from my nurses pay, so I appreciate every little thing, Caribbean for me at the minute is a must from our awful long British weather. Have converted my Sister and BIL, our next cruise Reflection which we love, again for the choice of speciality dinning, but had plenty of meals in the MDR, OVC, few of days but always found alternatives we booked Concierge for position OBC, and drinks package. I’m Elite thru marriage doesn’t mean anything to me. We priced up a lot of ships , and similar Itenary can’t be beaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don´t understand how about everybody complains that "times are changing to the worse" and does not do anything about it but whining in Internet boards. This is not meant to be understood as an offense against anybody!!!

If one does not like the experience she / he got for his heck load of money - just friggin do not do it again. It is simple. No, it is REALLY simple. No, it just really is!

I started with X in their very last great days, more exactly the Equinox in early 2012. Did four more with them, every single one was worse than the one before. I decided to quit. Never went back, not even visited the website. Trying a booking on Edge now cause I believe they are only performing best when a ship class is all new - and I got a nice price. However, the cruise might still be canceled, which would cause me to stay away from X for another handful of years.

Stop complaining, start making a change by depending on your ability to find alternatives.

By the way: Best food I had yet was on Equinox in 2012. Best entertainment actually was on Norwegian Getaway in 2016. Best customer service was on Costa Diadema, believe it or not. Worst experience in every single way was on Anthem OTS last year.

Fact of the matter is: I pay more - I expect more. You take my money and deliver sh**? You ain´t going to see me again for a very long time.

It is simple. No, it really is!

Very well said. I did a TA on the Equinox 2013. Really enjoyed the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have cruised X for our last 4 trips and the last was the worst. Small things, like getting the 2 chips as an hors doeuvre... I have been trying to get information on a safari cruise thru X and frankly the staff there is clueless. Thononh it's time to move on...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

After doing 40 cruises and achieving elite plus status you've done the right thing that should have been done 38 cruises ago.

I did some more than that... but on 15+ different cruise lines.

I cannot imagine myself confined to a "favorite cruise line". It does not matter which one. Celebrity or anything else.

I cannot imagine it how much of my cruise life would be lost had I happen to wear a ball & chain of a "plus status".

A "citizen of the cruise world" - this is a status one might look for.

Thank you for saying perfectly something I have tried saying before and failed miserably. I could not agree more with this sentiment. If we had stuck with only one line there are so many experiences we never could have had.

Here it is 9:00 o'clock in the am, and I just read this whole thread and looked out the window to see it's showing. I know why I cruise - a change of scenery, weather, or just because we can. So after 50+ cruise, and different cruise lines I choose celebrity most of the time. In the near future have bookings on seven celebrity cruises, Silhouette 5, Summit and Edge (already elite plus).

Have I complained about aspects of past cruise, of course; notice how the term "modern luxury" is no longer used by Celebrity, it wasn't!

Our food tastes are all over the charts, subjective, maybe, but there has been a changes for the best has not been proven. Some times we book a regular balcony and eat in the mdr with some but not major complaints. Other times we book an Aqua cabin and eat in Blu with the same results. The level of food quality that is expected is better than diner food but less than multiple stars. Salty - send it back, tough - send it back, don't like it - send it back.

While food is an important part of cruising along with the service that provides it, why do people cruise year after year?

They enjoy it! Prices go up, ships get bigger, service appears to decline and yet what is the bottom line?

More cruisers doing more frequent cruises. Land vacations have the same problems, food quality, service and prices have risen. We spend a small part of the day eating and most of the rest of the day enjoying the ship we are cruising on.

Happy cruising,

Hal

And of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Much of the food was left on the plate. That to me means it is not edible, how else would you describe it. Maybe I needed to say , the food was of poor quality, terribly salty, poorly presented, tasteless. I could go on but if I am not eating it, it is not EDIBLE. On the Eclipse I am referring only to MDR, it was wonderful in OVC.

On one of the cruises you stated that you ate in the OV 11 of 13 days. Perhaps on those 11 the food was better in the MDR. On our recent Silhouette cruise we weren't always happy with the MDR but overall the quality was fine. On the other hand, the quantity became something of a running joke.

The food thing is interesting. On our last cruise (Eclipse), we dined in Murano (1x) and Tuscan (2x) for the first time. Because if the significant upcharge and the raves heard on CC, our expectations were set high. And we were a bit disappointed.

In the MDR and OVC, our expectations are set to a level appropriate to a venue that is feeding thousands at the same time or a venue that is a buffet. Yeah, we sometimes get a dish we don't care for or a chewy steak, but we've never been outright unhappy. It's because our EXPECTATIONS are realistic.

We gave up on the MDR several years ago. The quality is not what it once was - that's the nature of mainstream corporate tweaking. Sure - they've added specialty options (read $), and I'm ok with that.

We sail in suites, so have access to (hopefully) better base dining options, but still end up going with specialty dining a vast majority of nights. We just factor that in to the cost of cruising. If nothing else, those alternate options are less crowded, with better service and a less hectic atmosphere.

Our top two "go to" lines are NCL and Celebrity, with Royal Caribbean coming in third, and Carnival last place - if only for their total lack of suite perks.

Tom

The food thing is interesting. On our last cruise (Eclipse), we dined in Murano (1x) and Tuscan (2x) for the first time. Because if the significant upcharge and the raves heard on CC, our expectations were set high. And we were a bit disappointed.

In the MDR and OVC, our expectations are set to a level appropriate to a venue that is feeding thousands at the same time or a venue that is a buffet. Yeah, we sometimes get a dish we don't care for or a chewy steak, but we've never been outright unhappy. It's because our EXPECTATIONS are realistic.

Good point.

Spring has finally come to NC. I can tell 'cuz my white car suddenly turned pollen green. :loudcry:

We have X cruise in 3 weeks and to be honest it will be last chance saloon for us too. Not so much a food issue (tend to use specialty and Blu) but a service and passenger demographic issue.

Fingers crossed, as we really want to try Edge!

I've been following this thread since I'm considering a South American/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity in early 2020. The question about the passenger demographic issue hasn't been answered. What issue? I'm concerned I won't fit into the acceptable demographic and be shunned.

Roz

I've been following this thread since I'm considering a South American/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity in early 2020. The question about the passenger demographic issue hasn't been answered. What issue? I'm concerned I won't fit into the acceptable demographic and be shunned.

Roz

I would totally discount such a statement....there's NO demographic - acceptable or otherwise - we're all sailors of one description or another and NO-ONE is shunned. However, having said this, I might not find myself comfortable in conversation with the OP who made this statement.

Edited by oceangoer2

I believe that the OP has been unhappy with X for some time. I recall seeing many postings voicing unhappiness with various aspects of the X product. I hope she finds what she seeks.

Honestly I don't understand why people continue to cruise on a line if they're unhappy. I like variety and I cruise on multiple lines. About four years ago I gave up on Carnival because of their entertainment - I was basically satisfied with the product and enjoyed it for what it was, but I hate Playlist productions and a Hasbro game show is not my idea of a fun way to spend my evenings. I haven't gone back and probably won't in the near future, (although I do have a short Carnival cruise planned in two years that will tie in with a Disney family vacation - so we will see after that.)

Enough about Carnival, my point is I was unhappy and even though I'm Platinum, I stopped cruising with them. There are too many options available to stick with something that is disappointing.

Roz

r - one can only shun themselves on an X sailing, unless it was overwhelmingly chartered and even at that I doubt one would be so....

Consider and book ASAP.

bon voyage

Nancyshaw,

This is my point.

After doing 40 cruises and achieving elite plus status you've done the right thing that should have been done 38 cruises ago.

I did some more than that... but on 15+ different cruise lines.

I cannot imagine myself confined to a "favorite cruise line". It does not matter which one. Celebrity or anything else.

I cannot imagine it how much of my cruise life would be lost had I happen to wear a ball & chain of a "plus status".

A "citizen of the cruise world" - this is a status one might look for.

"Loyalty" = "Horse eye shades"

You've gone a long way to prove your opinion, complete with a photo shoot, quotes, definitions, and judgements.

Re: had I happen to wear a ball & chain of a "plus status".

A "citizen of the cruise world" etc.... We are EP with X but sailors of almost all cruise lines, and more than once or twice in order to form our opinion. We made the decision after those experiences that Celebrity provides most of what creates a good vacation for us. Not perfect, but a reliable experience. Food needs some tweaking, but DH has no problem with it and I'm picky anyway so that explains my perspective somewhat. Specialty dining is more to my taste and comfort, which would be the case on most non-deluxe cruise lines. BTW, it takes more than cruising with one day stops here and there on this or that ship to be a true "citizen of the world"...IMHO.

Roz

I wouldn't be worried about a demographic or being shunned. The celebrity vibe is laid back and sophisticated, only one morning announcement, no hairy chest or belly flop contests, good food, (of course that is subjective), good service, nice ships. If you enjoy those things you'll be sailing with fellow passengers who do as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Wow, that is an oldie! Although that link takes you to a version other than Belafonte’s. He was a huge star back then.

Yes the original may be an Oldie, I think Sound of music is probably older.

Jamaica Farewell, has become a classic and morphed into several varieties , even a rap version.

We did our first X cruise on Silhouette last month. We were a little concerned at reviews about the pax being old and the music not being appropriate to the "demographic". At least on our cruise we had everything from toddlers to octogenarians. Music was varied and you could find whatever you wanted. There were a few groups of teens as well as a group of bikers. Kind of cool watching them exit in San Juan then seeing them later threading their way through OSJ. Everyone was friendly and polite. Basically, I'd file demographic concerns in the circular folder under the desk.