Fluff thread: For a balcony cabin - where do you like to be on the ship?

Wishing on a star

We have done a few cruises, and often did not have our real choice in location.

We have lucked out and did really well ! But, for this cruise, and our possible next cruise, we are booking in advance and can select almost anywhere.

I keep leaning towards a forward balcony, on middle decks, but the least forward in this section. Not way up front.

Would the motion be worse if one was way way forward?

I kind of like the idea of being up front there, with a clear view of where you are going... not from the back section of the ship.

On some ships, mid-ship balconies are where you are still just above where you can see the lifeboats below.

I know that there are some real aft-facing lovers, but that also wouldn't really be us, And might cost more.

Where would your first pick of location be?

Our first pick is Aft facing ( yes we are one of those people ) On our last cruise have some windy sea days to the point outside decks closed, we walking up and down all the cabin corridors on the ship.

So ship movement, up forward bad, particularly the front 10 or so cabins. mid ships fine and aft a bit of movement, the deck level doesn't seam to make much difference as the ship mainly pitches and generally has little roll as the stabilizers slow the rolling right down

Picking a cabin is a personal thing , lots of people go midships ( high price due to being popular ) remember look at the deck plan, to see what is above and below you for noise. also with a balcony. wind at sea is the thing, under way a forward facing balcony, could be unusable on a sea day due to wind.

We spend a bit time in our cabin relaxing and on the balcony, so position is very important to us, so what ever cabin you chose enjoy it and your cruise.

our next cruise is Nov 2018 in another aft cabin

Cheers Don ( yes the photo below is taken from an aft balcony )

sounds like it is not you, but the aft rear facing balconies are the ultimate- larger balconies and the sound of the wake plus the panoramic views are unbeatable!!

We love them.

eclue:cool:

Hi Eclue, couldn't agreed more, the panoramic view leaving port, the sound of the wake ( the other half calls it the waterfall sound ),

Also on the Grand class full covered, so protected from the wind, and very easy to find your cabin as it's at the end on the corridor ( once one was to busy talking and end up at the wrong end of the corridor:eek:)

Cheers Don

My October 2018 cruise on Ruby Princess is in Balcony A222 ... Deck 12, pretty far forward. Any comments from Princess experts? For the price I wanted, this was the best I could do. I know there are cabins above & below, so hopefully will be quiet. Thanks.

We have always stayed forward Lido Deck or deck below because we really enjoy being close to the pool during the day. We usually have the buffet breakfast so it is also close. Last year on the Royal we were on the very front of the ship one deck down and loved the larger balcony and views. Sailing soon on Caribbean Princess mid forward on Lido!

Mid ship, or actually one cabin off mid, that way we get the benefit of mid at mid-aft price.

Cabins above, cabins below. Half way between MDR and buffet when I could use the stairs, now that isn’t an issue.

We like mid ship or mid aft. On the Royal class ships, we like the mid ship balconies because of the extended balconies. If those are taken, then mid aft. On the Grand Class, mid or mid aft on Caribe Deck.

Cat BD balcony cabins aft on Caribe deck are our favorite. You have the larger balconies at one of the lower rates. Aft cabins move significantly less than forward cabins. We were in C743 on the Star in rough seas, 8’-13’, for over 12 hours and there was much less motion than when I walked forward. Most ships don’t appear to pivot around midships but closer to mid aft. Say what you will about stabilizers but we ate in SHARE on the Sun deck on the Ruby one night. She is the latest ship before the Royal class and should have a good stabilizer system, but she was really rocking side to side that night, much more than our Dolphin deck minisuite balcony cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Haven't sailed Royal class so not answering for those ships. Other Princess ships we would prefer aft-facing or else just aft balconies on Caribe deck. Love that location and especially love the aft-facing balconies. We tried a Lido balcony on our last cruise as we have been curious about the location but found we didn't care for the location as much as the aft balconies.

First choice would be aft facing for the fantastic views and usually larger balcony.

In general I like aft rather than forward for less motion. I've sailed on the Regal several times and I like being on the Marina deck for the overhang from the Lido deck protects the balcony from rain/wind and I've got nobody looking down on me

We have done a few cruises, and often did not have our real choice in location.

We have lucked out and did really well ! But, for this cruise, and our possible next cruise, we are booking in advance and can select almost anywhere.

I keep leaning towards a forward balcony, on middle decks, but the least forward in this section. Not way up front.

Would the motion be worse if one was way way forward?

I kind of like the idea of being up front there, with a clear view of where you are going... not from the back section of the ship.

On some ships, mid-ship balconies are where you are still just above where you can see the lifeboats below.

I know that there are some real aft-facing lovers, but that also wouldn't really be us, And might cost more.

Where would your first pick of location be?

Depends on the cruise. Where to?

We are "way up front cruisers." Mrs. XBGuy actually thinks that feeling the movement is one of the major pleasures of an ocean cruise. All our previous Princess cruises have been on "Grand Class" ships. So, as often as not we book Cabin A201--Deck 12, Starboard side, as far forward as possible. Last September we took an AK cruise on the Grand Princess and, when we booked, found that A201 was not available. However, A202 on the Port side was available.

The nice thing about the most forward cabins is that they are the least expensive. :D Mrs. XBGuy also likes waving to the bridge crew from the balcony.

There was another cruise where we could not get our preferred cabin on A Deck, and we went for C202. The larger balcony is nice, but not a deal maker for Mrs. XBGuy.

Yes, Mr. XBGuy is pretty agnostic about the cabin.

Here's a funny thing. On our last cruise--a five-day cruise to Cabo San Lucas--we found a suite available--Deck 15 all the way forward. We decided to splurge. Neither of us found the suite experience compelling. In fact, towards the end of the cruise, Mrs. XBGuy said, "I can't wait until our next cruise [end of this month] when we can get back into 'our' cozy cabin."

Mid ship, or actually one cabin off mid, that way we get the benefit of mid at mid-aft price.

Cabins above, cabins below. Half way between MDR and buffet when I could use the stairs, now that isn’t an issue.

Agree with the one off mid to get the mid-aft pricing. With my size, tall not big, the DW needs a mini. Mid minis on all but the Royal class ships is Club Class which we do not book. On the Royal, the mid C deck are not Club. As such go for C409 or C410. The balconies above have the same configuration where the balcony juts out. You can sit and look down the lrngth of the ship.

I felt vibration last time on the Royal in a balcony that was pretty aft so trying mid ship balcony this time. Also found the lift strange at the aft, only goes to a certain floor so hoping this will also be rectified by being close to main lifts mid ship. I just love the Royal Princess and to be honest despite my pickiness over cabins I'd stay anywhere on her.

We've stayed in an aft vista suite, and an aft mini, a mid-ship mini-suite, a forward suite, and a forward mini-suite. We loved the vista suite for the view and the huge balcony. The most motion we experienced was in the forward suite--stuff was flying off the shelves. For convenience, we really prefer to be near an elevator since Mr. Blue uses a wheelchair. Dodging laundry carts down a long hallway gets old.

When we book a balcony cabin, I prefer Caribe deck for the larger balcony.When we book mini suites I prefer club class cause it’s staight down to the action and when we book suites the aft with a suite with a wrap around balcony