Oceania cruises reducing club benefits for their most loyalguests

ifield

I have never seen any mention of needing a certain number of days for the free cruise

AFAIK it is based on the number of cruises you take

I was just trying to clarify your statement that there's no need of a certain amount of days, when actually the accumulation of credits does depend on a certain amount of days.

Also, you said that the free cruise is based on the number of cruises you take, but it's really based on earned credits....you can get the free cruise with as few as 2 cruises (that's what my point was).

Right you are, but they never told you they would not be there. Never a limited time offer. Sounds a lot like bait and switch to me. Get the customer in the door and then change the terms. A lousy thing to do. :(:(:(

I think given the amount of advance warning of the change that it can’t be classed as bait and switch.

But this is just how I see loyalty and reward schemes, they are a bonus, they can change and they don’t affect my choice of product just a nice perk on top.

And I am sorry if facts are unhelpful to someone’s view of a situation.

I was just trying to clarify your statement that there's no need of a certain amount of days, when actually the accumulation of credits does depend on a certain amount of days.

Also, you said that the free cruise is based on the number of cruises you take, but it's really based on earned credits....you can get the free cruise with as few as 2 cruises (that's what my point was).

my point was there is not a set amount of days needed to get the free cruise like some other lines where you need X number of days as Henry pointed out for Seabourn

You can get cruise credits by doing 2 cruises or 19 cruises

we cruise O because we like them

I doubt we will ever get a free cruise but we continue to sail with them for the intangibles that works for us

done

Originally posted by RJB Right you are, but they never told you they would not be there. Never a limited time offer. Sounds a lot like bait and switch to me. Get the customer in the door and then change the terms. A lousy thing to do

but everything with you is bait & switch or a conspiracy :)

Everyone needs to calm down a bit about the changes in Nov. 2019 - getting a "free cruise" after 20 cruise credits seems to be very generous. We are at the level and if you consider the financial savings on a 14-day cruise, which means you do sail for considerable less cost on that cruise I have no quarrel with it. This is not an entitlement, but a bonus. We rolled our 20th cruise cost into the next 34 days cruise and it felt like a good bonus/offer to us. The time frame of 18 months out is plenty of time to change plans if you are not happy with this cruise line. We are!!

but everything with you is bait & switch or a conspiracy :)

Yes and everything with you is being a cheerleader for Oceania no matter if they are wrong. Hard to believe anything you say. Too bad :(

Yes and everything with you is being a cheerleader for Oceania no matter if they are wrong. Hard to believe anything you say. Too bad :(

Nope, I remember Lyn coming back from a cruise and being quite unhappy with some things that happened, and wasn't afraid to post about it. I wouldn't call that a cheerleader, rather just calling it the way it is.

Nope, I remember Lyn coming back from a cruise and being quite unhappy with some things that happened, and wasn't afraid to post about it. I wouldn't call that a cheerleader, rather just calling it the way it is.

Thanks ORV you are correct

We like O but they are not perfect

after they tried to kill DH twice at the same meal you bet I will complain

Everyone needs to calm down a bit about the changes in Nov. 2019 - getting a "free cruise" after 20 cruise credits seems to be very generous. We are at the level and if you consider the financial savings on a 14-day cruise, which means you do sail for considerable less cost on that cruise I have no quarrel with it. This is not an entitlement, but a bonus. We rolled our 20th cruise cost into the next 34 days cruise and it felt like a good bonus/offer to us. The time frame of 18 months out is plenty of time to change plans if you are not happy with this cruise line. We are!!

Actually it is an entitlement since it is used to entice you to stay with a cruise line.

What would you say if you had 18 cruise credits and Oceania stated that it now takes 30 credits for your next cruise.

We will likely be discussing next year that O raises the number to 25 credits since many of it regulars are now approaching their 20th credit.

We will be enjoying our 20th free cruise in a few weeks. Since we started cruising with Oceania in 2007 we have occasionally considered a good deal advertised for a similar standard cruise line but we have always stayed with Oceania due to the generous club level benefits together with a wonderful cruise experience. It is disappointing these benefits are being changed with the end result being less for the passenger and more for Oceania!

And here's me thinking a benefit was an advantage not an entitlement; shows how wrong one can be. ;)

Loyalty schemes change frequently, they are designed to tempt you to repeat an experience/buy a product again; if you are not tempted don't repeat the experience with that company.

If the new benefits don't give Oceania an edge over the competition they will change them again and people will complain again.

Do you really think a bunch of emails are going to make a difference?

I can understand why you may be thinking the way you do as you have only cruised, it seems, a couple of times with Oceania.

I believe, like many who have cruised lots with Oceania - presently I have 25 cruise credits(PLATINUM LEVEL) - will likely disagree with you. To REDUCE benefits significantly from those who have tangibly demonstrated loyalty is absurd. Equally annoying is to market this change as ENHANCEMENTS TO THEIR program when in reality it is REDUCTIONS to it.That really is insulting to guests. I still think that massive writing to Oceania is best way to possibly get them to have a change of heart.

Edited by ifield
spelling mistake

I can understand why you may be thinking the way you do as you have only cruised, it seems, a couple of times with Oceania.

I believe, like many who have cruised lots with Oceania - presently I have 25 cruise credits(PLATINUM LEVEL) - will likely disagree with you. To REDUCE benefits significantly from those who have tangibly demonstrated loyalty is absurd. Equally annoying is to market this change as ENHANCEMENTS TO THEIR program when in reality it is REDUCTIONS to it.That really is insulting to guests. I still think that massive writing to Oceania is best way to possibly get them to have a change of heart.

I Liken it to the government giving you a pension and suddenly reducing it after a few years. Are we going the way of the Greeks ?

We are actually about to leave next week for our 10th Oceania cruise, we cruise with them because we like the ships, the food and the staff. The loyalty scheme is a bonus not the reason we cruise. We have cruised over 60 times with other lines and continue to do so despite the changes (always downwards) in their loyalty schemes.

Yes the benefits will be reduced from what they are now but you have plenty of notice, you can choose to go with someone else. As an American you will even get your deposit back.

And rogerb the government are not GIVING me a pension they are PAYING me my pension for which I paid during my working life.

Since I have taken less than ten Oceania cruises, my direct interest in this discussion is minimal. But it is interesting to observe the anger/venting going on in this thread. The taking away of frequent traveler benefits occurs on seemingly a weekly basis eg....more miles required to fly on many airlines..Marriott annually devaluing their points. While we very much like Oceania, since our next two cruises are booked on Crystal I have also been watching the large volume of recent venting over on that board regarding Crystal's decision beginning in 2020 to charge a nonrefundable "administrative fee" of up to $1,000 per couple for cruises over 21 days which are cancelled, no matter how far out from cruise date, with lesser but still substantial fees for shorter cruises. Now THAT is something to be upset about IMO!

Since I have taken less than ten Oceania cruises, my direct interest in this discussion is minimal. But it is interesting to observe the anger/venting going on in this thread. The taking away of frequent traveler benefits occurs on seemingly a weekly basis eg....more miles required to fly on many airlines..Marriott annually devaluing their points. While we very much like Oceania, since our next two cruises are booked on Crystal I have also been watching the large volume of recent venting over on that board regarding Crystal's decision beginning in 2020 to charge a nonrefundable "administrative fee" of up to $1,000 per couple for cruises over 21 days which are cancelled, no matter how far out from cruise date, with lesser but still substantial fees for shorter cruises. Now THAT is something to be upset about IMO!

You are 100% right. That admin fee certainly will make me less likely to book in advance on Crystal. Especially on longer segments (on world cruises) that require an early booking in order to get space as they do sell out on both Crystal and O.

We are actually about to leave next week for our 10th Oceania cruise, we cruise with them because we like the ships, the food and the staff. The loyalty scheme is a bonus not the reason we cruise. We have cruised over 60 times with other lines and continue to do so despite the changes (always downwards) in their loyalty schemes.

Yes the benefits will be reduced from what they are now but you have plenty of notice, you can choose to go with someone else. As an American you will even get your deposit back.

And rogerb the government are not GIVING me a pension they are PAYING me my pension for which I paid during my working life.

Ok! So the pension you paid in for and suddenly the government said we are going to pay you less because we can't afford it !!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Ok! So the pension you paid in for and suddenly the government said we are going to pay you less because we can't afford it !!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

You are comparing apples and pears.

You pay for a cruise, the benefits of a loyalty scheme are not included in the price of that cruise you have "bought" nothing but the cruise. The loyalty benefits are a "free" add on a bonus if you like. They are not a lifelong entitlement.

And in the real world of company pensions there have been schemes that have changed the rules before people can draw their pensions, and others where the schemes have failed and people got no pensions at all. This is in no way comparable to a cruise company changing a bonus scheme and telling you 19 months in advance.

You are comparing apples and pears.

You pay for a cruise, the benefits of a loyalty scheme are not included in the price of that cruise you have "bought" nothing but the cruise. The loyalty benefits are a "free" add on a bonus if you like. They are not a lifelong entitlement.

And in the real world of company pensions there have been schemes that have changed the rules before people can draw their pensions, and others where the schemes have failed and people got no pensions at all. This is in no way comparable to a cruise company changing a bonus scheme and telling you 19 months in advance.

Not at all are they free. The cost of them are built into the fare that we pay for the cruise just like the "free tours" Free tours are not free but included just like loyalty rewards. As I said before they need to be loyal to us if Oceania wants us to be loyal to them. Love Oceania but they need to re think this new policy. :(:(

Not at all are they free. The cost of them are built into the fare that we pay for the cruise just like the "free tours" Free tours are not free but included just like loyalty rewards. As I said before they need to be loyal to us if Oceania wants us to be loyal to them. Love Oceania but they need to re think this new policy. :(:(

Hence the quotes in my post. There is nothing that comes free except choice and you can now choose what to do as Oceania have given you (for free) all this time to decide ;):)

An interesting scenario for our 11/16/19 cruise.

My confirmation documents indicate a Plat benefit OBC of $600 and 2 spa treatments valued at $460.

This benefit is to be reduced after 11/1/19 to $500 OBC and no spa certificates.

How will Oceania treat this as I have the benefits confirmed in writing in my booking? Will they have to honor it?

My confirmation documents indicate a Plat benefit OBC of $600 and 2 spa treatments valued at $460.

This benefit is to be reduced after 11/1/19 to $500 OBC and no spa certificates.

How will Oceania treat this as I have the benefits confirmed in writing in my booking? Will they have to honor it?

maybe not as per the fine print

a good question for your TA

Oceania Cruises reserves the right to change the program rules, benefits and cruise credits, conditions of qualifications, special offers or cruise level requirements at its sole discretion.

maybe not as per the fine print

a good question for your TA

Oceania Cruises reserves the right to change the program rules, benefits and cruise credits, conditions of qualifications, special offers or cruise level requirements at its sole discretion.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah - the fine print :D

It gets you every time :)

I will check with my TA but as you say, things may change from the answer I get now to when I am on the ship.

I can see changing the rules for future bookings after the changes are announced but somehow I feel that if it is in writing at the time of booking it should be honored. That might qualify as bait and switch as the change is made after an "agreement" was reached.

I suppose they can always say - if you don't like it, cancel the cruise :)

Edited by Paulchili

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah - the fine print :D

It gets you every time :)

I will check with my TA but as you say, things may change from the answer I get now to when I am on the ship.

I can see changing the rules for future bookings after the changes are announced but somehow I feel that if it is in writing at the time of booking it should be honored. That might qualify as bait and switch as the change is made after an "agreement" was reached.

I suppose they can always say - if you don't like it, cancel the cruise :)

Maybe they will honor those already booked before the announcement??

Than again it says on the website

Please note the latest enhancements to Oceania Club Membership Privileges will go into effect on voyages embarking on or after November 1, 2019.

At this point there are only 6 cruises listed after Nov 1st plus the 2020 RTW cruise

Paul, what ship are you on?

Just a hint here, pay attention to the wording of "on or after"