Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

May be if I was with my spouse/loved one we would rather be at a table for 2 and enjoy some alone time.

MARAPRINCE

From what I understand, most two-top tables are RIGHT next to other two-top tables so there is very little privacy.

It's one thing my wife and I were curious about for our Equinox cruise last August. It was going to just be the two of us for dinner. Fortunately six of our other friends decided to go along and we had our own table. :)

Dan

From what I understand, most two-top tables are RIGHT next to other two-top tables so there is very little privacy.

On Oasis class ships there are many two-top tables that are separate from other diners. There are also those that are close together. On the first night, you simply tell the staff at the door what your dining preferences are for the week (private, large table/shared with another party, etc) and in my experience, they accommodate with no problem.

We are discovering that on our Royal Caribbean cruises, the Windjammer is just fine. On the Allure last year, we were sitting in the Main Dining Room for close to 3 hours. It took over 45 minutes just to get an appetizer. The next night we went to the Windjammer and really enjoyed the food there. On Carnival we like to eat dinner in the Main Dining Room every night. Service and food in the MDR is a lot better than on RC, but the Windjammer on RC beats Carnival's buffet.

Food and service in Carnival MDR a lot better than on RCCL? It wasn't in our experience, but maybe it has improved A LOT?

Our usual time spent in MDR on Royal ship is 45-50 minutes without dessert, but with several appetizers. Same was on Allure and once we managed to finish in 25 minutes when Patriots were playing. We always got a good to great service, with outstanding on Brilliance and Grandeur.

I believe they’re purposely dropping the quality of food in the MDR to drive the herds to the specialty restaurants. I think it’s a waste of time eating in there, can’t remember the last good meal I’ve had in there.

Cost cutting or not, this is wrong. Never did it in either of my two restaurants and wouldn't expect it from any others.

I wonder what they do with a half eaten bowl of soup?

bosco

Eight hundred years ago, the summer after we graduated HS, one of my friends had a job waiting tables at a family resort. The first night after she cleared a table, she was dumping a half-empty glass of milk in the drain and the owner saw her and yelled at her to stop and pour the milk back into a pitcher. Since then I have never ordered milk that didn’t come in a container. Yuck.

The day that cruise lines do away with the MDR and offer only buffet and specialty restaurants is the day I begin searching for other vacation options. One of the main reasons we cruise is the safety it provides for my DGS, who has several severe food allergies. Because of the possibility of cross-contamination with serving utensils, buffets are not an option, and specially restaurant charges for six people for nine or more nights would make the cost of a cruise unattractive.

Eight hundred years ago, the summer after we graduated HS, one of my friends had a job waiting tables at a family resort. The first night after she cleared a table, she was dumping a half-empty glass of milk in the drain and the owner saw her and yelled at her to stop and pour the milk back into a pitcher. Since then I have never ordered milk that didn’t come in a container. Yuck.

The day that cruise lines do away with the MDR and offer only buffet and specialty restaurants is the day I begin searching for other vacation options. One of the main reasons we cruise is the safety it provides for my DGS, who has several severe food allergies. Because of the possibility of cross-contamination with serving utensils, buffets are not an option, and specially restaurant charges for six people for nine or more nights would make the cost of a cruise unattractive.

I wouldn't worry about anything like that on Royal. They have strict rules and you can see the officers checking the temperature of the hot and cold items all the time. They are governed by Public Health Service (might be another agency) and are inspected all the time The passing grade is 85% and if the ship gets less than a 90. The head chefs will be looking for work.

I would bet that a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes in the kitchen that most people would rather not see.

I wouldn't worry about anything like that on Royal. They have strict rules and you can see the officers checking the temperature of the hot and cold items all the time. They are governed by Public Health Service (might be another agency) and are inspected all the time The passing grade is 85% and if the ship gets less than a 90. The head chefs will be looking for work.

I have a high level of confidence in Royal's food handling. However, I have seen people use serving pieces from one dish to serve themselves from a different dish, especially if there's someone using the piece that goes with the first item. For instance, if a passenger scoops up an egg dish with the serving utensil from the sausages, that utensil is contaminated with egg protein, which would be enough to send my DGS into anaphylactic schock if he took a sausage with that utensil. Most people are not aware of this, and it's the reason that buffets are not an option for us.

Allergies are so common today that I'm sure a buffet-or-specialty-restaurant-only cruise ship would not be possible for many other cruisers.

I have a high level of confidence in Royal's food handling. However, I have seen people use serving pieces from one dish to serve themselves from a different dish, especially if there's someone using the piece that goes with the first item. For instance, if a passenger scoops up an egg dish with the serving utensil from the sausages, that utensil is contaminated with egg protein, which would be enough to send my DGS into anaphylactic schock if he took a sausage with that utensil. Most people are not aware of this, and it's the reason that buffets are not an option for us.

Allergies are so common today that I'm sure a buffet-or-specialty-restaurant-only cruise ship would not be possible for many other cruisers.

You make a very interesting point which a lot of us are probably not aware of.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Does Royal not offer the option for them to make up a plate for him from the back with food that has not been out front?

Disney is excellent about that - they walk you through and show you what is safe for your allergy, then will make a list of what you want and make a plate for you from the back with food that has not been out on the buffet. Fantastic for those of us who hate being restricted to the MDR for all meals.

Food and service in Carnival MDR a lot better than on RCCL? It wasn't in our experience, but maybe it has improved A LOT?

Our usual time spent in MDR on Royal ship is 45-50 minutes without dessert, but with several appetizers. Same was on Allure and once we managed to finish in 25 minutes when Patriots were playing. We always got a good to great service, with outstanding on Brilliance and Grandeur.

In our experience, it was hands down better. All around service on Carnival ships is a lot better than Royal....to me, service is Royal's weakest point. On my last two Royal cruises, I never actually met our steward. Maybe we have bad luck?

My aunt and uncle like to eat in the MDR every night and after the Allure experiences, it looks like they intend to visit the MDR maybe once or twice on our upcoming 9 night cruise on the Anthem. My husband and I will maybe visit 2 or 3 times. On our Carnival cruises, we have no issues going there every night.

Hmmm. In our 10 cruises with Royal (3 since November) we yet to have substandard service in mdr. It was very good to excellent.

Better service we experienced only on several Celebrity sailings.

Hmmm. In our 10 cruises with Royal (3 since November) we yet to have substandard service in mdr. It was very good to excellent.

Better service we experienced only on several Celebrity sailings.

Don't know what to tell you. We haven't had the same experience and our entire group of about 15 family members thought it was substandard. Hopefully our luck will change with the Anthem.

Does Royal not offer the option for them to make up a plate for him from the back with food that has not been out front?

Disney is excellent about that - they walk you through and show you what is safe for your allergy, then will make a list of what you want and make a plate for you from the back with food that has not been out on the buffet. Fantastic for those of us who hate being restricted to the MDR for all meals.

That was our experience at Disney also. However, that option was not offered on our cruises. DD would order what our DGS would have for lunch the next day, and the maitre d' would have it ready for him. That worked well when he was little, but when he was a little older, it seemed a little mean for him to see all the delicious food around him that he couldn't have. We've been doing three meals a day in the MDR, with an occasional take-out meal on the balcony. It can be a little difficult to ride herd on two small children for three slow meals a day, but the upside is that they do know how to behave in a restaurant.

Breakfast in MDR was very relaxing, seated quickly, service was good and you have the opportunity to pick items from the mini buffet that is set up while your made to order breakfast is cooking. Great not to have to walk around looking for a seat and having your food get cold while you are waiting on line for eggs/omlet to be made. And then not let us forget that you will need to look around for a spoon because table setups do not include spoons.

It is very civilized with no children running around and screaming. Some of need coffee first thing or else you do not want to be around us!!!!

MARAPRINCE