Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

By the 2nd night, waiter knows our beverage choice. Always take 2nd sitting -- first seating is too rushed. After first seating, waiter knows what choices were popular and which were not. If in doubt, we will ask for recommendation on what to order Again, if we need to leave for a show, we let the waiter know as soon as we sit down and it has never been a problem.

If I want to play musical chairs, I would book NCL and its Free Style dining -- no assigned seating and no sitting with others.

MARAPRINCE

So are the folks who do pretty much only use the buffet for their meals now of the "quality" of which you speak?

I thought that was an odd statement also. Are those the "better quality" of cruisers in the dining room I see that are wearing beer can shorts, ball caps, and t-shirts in the MDR on formal nights versus the dreaded "commoners" in the WJ? ;) ;p

Edited by island lady

I can remember when all meals were in MDR. At the same table. Early dinner meant early breakfast [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And I have not been on a ship that served lunch in the MDR on port days. :confused:;)

I thought that was an odd statement also. Since there is a "better quality" of cruisers in the dining room versus the commoners who frequent the WJ, why are they wearing beer can shorts, ball caps, and t-shirts in the MDR? ;) ;p
Funny i was thinking that too and why the place suddenly goes quiet when we walk in all dressed upIMG_20150910_221222.jpg.b42761250f324c5394906a16cd60bf9e.jpg

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

And I have not been on a ship that served lunch in the MDR on port days. :confused:;)
When did you and Bucky start cruising?

Our first was January 1989.

There were even two breakfast seatings.

Princess, Carnival, Holland America

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I thought that was an odd statement also. Are those the "better quality" of cruisers in the dining room I see that are wearing beer can shorts, ball caps, and t-shirts in the MDR on formal nights versus the dreaded "commoners" in the WJ? ;) ;p

Funny thing is, I never even wear shorts to dinner in the Windjammer. I typically wear chinos and either a polo or button down shirt.

Oh my! PLEASE let this be on Harmony too!

I hope it is for your sake.

I love the RCI Lamb Shank and on the last night of the cruise they had massive lamb shanks fit for Fred Flintstone, it was great.

We are also on Navigator and to say we have been disappointed by the dumbing down of the MDR menu, is an understatement.

No ‘classics’ to resort to if you don’t like any on the limited selection of appetisers or mains, and the expectation you WILL order your dessert at the start of the meal.

Personally I do not know how hungry I will be at the end of my main meal, nor what I might fancy to eat, so we are disappointed at this obvious desire to ‘get you in and get you out as quickly as possible’ mentality.

We went to the Windjammer tonight (second time ever for an evening meal) and were very impressed by the selection of food available. A big difference to the first time we tried Wj on a different ship some years ago. We will eat there again on this ship, and not go along with the pressure being put on us the eat in a Speciality restaurant by serving poor quality / limited choice in the MDR.

In my personal opinion, the appalling MDR menu it’s just another nibbling away at ‘standards’ which my DH and I are very sad to see [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't been on a RC cruise yet, but I look forward to having the complete menu available when I sit down. Just as I meal plan at home, I like to order apps, entrees, and desserts which complement each other. If I know what desserts are being served I can make better choices. For example, if a heavy dessert which I really like is offered I will choose lighter apps and entrees, or vice versa.

I haven't been on a RC cruise yet, but I look forward to having the complete menu available when I sit down. Just as I meal plan at home, I like to order apps, entrees, and desserts which complement each other. If I know what desserts are being served I can make better choices. For example, if a heavy dessert which I really like is offered I will choose lighter apps and entrees, or vice versa.

The dining room dessert portion is TINY, so don't worry about it. The buffet will have most of the same desserts plus a selection of many others. Even when we eat in the dining room we like to "walk it off" before going for dessert in the buffet.

I did prefer getting the dessert menu with dinner though. Was more efficient.

Also note that the soups, salads, appetizers have been condensed down to a single course on the menu so order as many from that column as you wish.

The dining room dessert portion is TINY, so don't worry about it. The buffet will have most of the same desserts plus a selection of many others. Even when we eat in the dining room we like to "walk it off" before going for dessert in the buffet.

I did prefer getting the dessert menu with dinner though. Was more efficient.

Also note that the soups, salads, appetizers have been condensed down to a single course on the menu so order as many from that column as you wish.

We always dine in MDR and never have dessert right away... just not enough “space” after everything consumed. :)