Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

The problem of having only a few people at a large table seems to have become commonplace. We've switched to My Time for that reason; at least if we are seated with others, they will, in fact, be there. If we dine alone, it will be at a table for 2, not 10. We're sorry to lose the benefit (to us) of getting to know a group, but as so many have pointed out, they simply aren't going to the main dining room, so there is a very strong possibility that a table will consistently have empty spots.

The last time I had traditional dining, we were alone at a table for 8 and asked to be switched to a smaller table so it wouldn't be so awkward. We ate there every night, and I would say the room was never more than 50% full. Great service, for sure. The flip side of this is being stuck with MTD and the various wait times and while we loved our waiter, it was obvious he was rushed and under pressure. For the last two cruises I booked, only MTD was available. I will ask on arrival, but I expect we will not get to switch. Those dining rooms will be underutilized as people do specialty dining or WJ, and MTD will feel pressured. It's a weird system. Someone could hold a traditional time and book the specialty dining package every night, there's nothing to release those seats back into the system to be used by someone else.

The MDR has changed with MTD . In the old days MDR was were you meet interesting people and had the same table every night.

The wait staff was busy but not like they are now. MTD changed some of the way dining is done along with more specialty dining packages.

Dining has changed because of all of this ........evolution.......or call it whatever you want..........

That just means they will swap MDR and WJ. Buffet will now be on decks 3-5 and the sit down restaurant will be on 16. Yes it would be an undertaking, but I think they could easily accomplish it in a drydock period.

Who knows what they're going to do but this seems probable. WJ with floor to ceiling windows. Outdoor seating on Radiance class. That's prime real estate.

Most of the MDR sits empty for quite a few hours each day.

WJ gets converted to specialty restaurants. One/two floors of MDR becomes buffet. Room for more staterooms? This isn't necessarily what I think is best...but I can imagine the planners in Miami see $$$ in front of their eyes.

Who knows what they're going to do but this seems probable. WJ with floor to ceiling windows. Outdoor seating on Radiance class. That's prime real estate.

Most of the MDR sits empty for quite a few hours each day.

WJ gets converted to specialty restaurants. One/two floors of MDR becomes buffet. Room for more staterooms? This isn't necessarily what I think is best...but I can imagine the planners in Miami see $$$ in front of their eyes.

Isn't this what dynamic dining was all about (not buffets but non-traditional)? Didn't this fail because of people wanting traditional dining? Why do we think this will work now?

Isn't this what dynamic dining was all about (not buffets but non-traditional)? Didn't this fail because of people wanting traditional dining? Why do we think this will work now?

I'm not sure it's going to work. I don't even think it's the best thing. I'm also not sure the dynamic dining model equates exactly to a buffet/specialty restaurant model. But I'll hazard a guess that decisions in Miami are made based upon maximizing revenues and cutting costs. Sometimes the changes made hit the wall and stick; other times they don't. Rita's Cantina? I'm sure someone thought that that was a great idea, pitched it to RCL senior management, and management gave the thumbs up. Additional revenue. Take a portion of the WJ and make it a dining area with a surcharge. We know it didn't work but RCL tried it, didn't they?

I won’t be interested in cruising with the buffet as is now. But if they had employees serving- placing food on your plate and removing trays if a fellow traveler touches something with their hand I’d be more interested. I’m not a fan of chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Royal does in fact do away with traditional dining and go buffet-only, the "quality" of the clientele will adjust appropriately. I think at that point, it will be time to invest in a higher-end cruise line.

So are the folks who do pretty much only use the buffet for their meals now of the "quality" of which you speak?

So are the folks who do pretty much only use the buffet for their meals now of the "quality" of which you speak?

No...I'm envisioning more of a Golden Corral-esque clientele for the potential "buffet only" Royal Caribbean.

Golden Corrals attract an interesting demographic. I'll leave it at that. :)

No...I'm envisioning more of a Golden Corral-esque clientele for the potential "buffet only" Royal Caribbean.

Golden Corrals attract an interesting demographic. I'll leave it at that. :)

LOL, I've never been to one so I don't really know what to make of that.

Currently sailing on the Jewel and we must agree, MDR is going downhill fast. First of all, to give this some context, this is our 19th RC cruise. Yes we had may changes before and like we always say, it first started with the chocolates on our pillows that disappeared. But we are not complaining, we adapted and continued cruising with RC. But this time, our MDR experience stands out as a sore thumb. The waiters are running around as chickens without their heads on. They no longer make suggestions, they pass by sparingly and away is the personalized experience. The rush you to order everything upfront, even dessert since this year! The first night they mixed up our orders, the second night our food was cold and the third night, it was formal night, we even had to wait for half an hour and we did have reservations! So, as of day 4, we started going to the WJ. And up until now, we are satisfied but once again we needed to adapt. And for the first time in over 200+ cruise days, we eat our dinner in the WJ. RC, what are you guys up to? The MDR menus are so limited these days, with 4 dishes being the same each day, we are only left with 4 other choices. And that includes serving prime rib 4 different ways as 4 separate dishes. For us, the menu was the same for 4 days out of 7!!! Bread is no longer being served and put on the table in a bowl. Who knows how many other people touched it. Coffee is now being served in coffee mugs, where are the cups? It is not breakfast! I expect more from a restaurant, not? But maybe, I am just very picky. Let’s leave it at that for now. I am curious how others experience the MDR as of January of the year?

I am curious how others experience the MDR as of January of the year?

I was on Oasis at the end of December and ate solely in the MDR.

1. Waiter made suggestions for each course nightly

2. By night 2, assistant waiter had our sea pass # written down and promptly took our wine order when we sat down and brought out a port with dessert.

3. Orders were taken "upfront" for all courses, which personally I prefer.

4. Waiters obviously had too many tables but we were never unsatisfied with service

5. Menu got somewhat repetitive but I didn't even think twice about it until after the fact when I came to this forum and read people's complaints. Funny how this forum can have that affect on you. :)

6. With the exception of one entree and one dessert, we enjoyed everything we ordered.

By biggest gripe was with food temperature. The plates sit out for quite a while with those plastic covers on and by the time it is served, the food was often lukewarm.

The MDR has changed with MTD . In the old days MDR was were you meet interesting people and had the same table every night.

The wait staff was busy but not like they are now. MTD changed some of the way dining is done along with more specialty dining packages.

Dining has changed because of all of this ........evolution.......or call it whatever you want..........

I can remember when all meals were in MDR. At the same table. Early dinner meant early breakfast [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree the main dining experience is not what it used to be. My main issues are with the menu. Too many repeats daily with only a couple of starters, entrees, and desserts changing. I will say on my Navigator cruise last week we had fabulous waitstaff. They always gave suggestions. They remembered what wine and cocktails we wanted each night. Also knew who wanted tea and who wanted decaf or regular coffee with dessert. Even the headwaiter was clearing tables and assisting the waiters who are obviously working many tables. If you are on Navigator, I suggest you ask to be seated in the section with Sweedon and Lawrence.

If Royal does in fact do away with traditional dining and go buffet-only, the "quality" of the clientele will adjust appropriately. I think at that point, it will be time to invest in a higher-end cruise line.

I think that ship has sailed (pardon the pun).

Yes, we too have noticed that the MDR staff tends to 'rush' you through dinner and it doesn't need to be that way; here's how:

1) First we order our appetizers and return the menu to the MDR steward.

2) After we finish our appetizers we ask the MDR steward for the menu to make our entrée selection.

3) After we finish our entrées we ask the MDR steward for the menu to make our desert selection.

This way we've enjoyed many a leisure dinner at the MDR and also when we go out for dinner in our hometown.

Edited by oldguysandgalls
updated

What, exactly, is self serve mentality? And how else are you supposed to get your food if you don't get it yourself?:confused:

yea I had to chuckle as well. I think folks feel if you pay a lot of money to cruise, you must be SERVED all the time. I feel that way for specialty restaurants but the rest of the time I look at the menu for MDR and perhaps I might do the entree there and then go up to Buffet for dessert because I like to look at them

Too many dessert descriptions do not make sense these days. :p

Yes, we too have noticed that the MDR staff tends to 'rush' you through dinner and it doesn't need to be that way; here's how:

1) First we order our appetizers and return the menu to the MDR steward.

2) After we finish our appetizers we ask the MDR steward for the menu to make our entrée selection.

3) After we finish our entrées we ask the MDR steward for the menu to make our desert selection.

We've enjoyed many a leisure dinner at the MDR ever since.

(PS. We have enjoyed many a wonderful dinner when we go out for dinner in our home town

And I also tell them that if I want 2 appetizers of the same, just bring one plate. I mean they waste plates a lot. But I like your style and might try it next cruise