Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

I am on Freedom this week. On several nights walking the outside on deck 4, I have noticed many empty tables in the MDR and this is a sold out cruise. There have also been many folks eating dinner in the Windgammer.

On Navigator now. Had My Time Dining and went only once. Greatly streamlined menu, lacking choice. Specialty restaurants are outstanding. Windjammer is amazing, lots of choices, food is hot and staff there are great. It is getting more crowded every night. Several guests have told us they abandoned their traditional dining because service has been dreadful (slow, orders wrong, food cold, poor attitude). Disappointing to hear. Has me wondering if it is just this ship or if it is happening across the cruise line.

On Navigator now. Had My Time Dining and went only once. Greatly streamlined menu, lacking choice. Specialty restaurants are outstanding. Windjammer is amazing, lots of choices, food is hot and staff there are great. It is getting more crowded every night. Several guests have told us they abandoned their traditional dining because service has been dreadful (slow, orders wrong, food cold, poor attitude). Disappointing to hear. Has me wondering if it is just this ship or if it is happening across the cruise line.

Toldja

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I love the flexibility of MTD, it is my belief that this concept is what killed the MDR experience. I saw the difference on NCL when they went Freestyle and I've seen it on the other lines when they created their versions. With traditional dining, everyone was on the same pace, including the kitchen, and the waiters weren't all running around in different directions. Now, the MDR has become so loud and chaotic. I'm sure there are several reasons, but I think MTD is the biggest factor.

While I love the flexibility of MTD, it is my belief that this concept is what killed the MDR experience. I saw the difference on NCL when they went Freestyle and I've seen it on the other lines when they created their versions. With traditional dining, everyone was on the same pace, including the kitchen, and the waiters weren't all running around in different directions. Now, the MDR has become so loud and chaotic. I'm sure there are several reasons, but I think MTD is the biggest factor.

True. Quite chaotic with too many dining options.

I despise buffets. However, I will say the Windjammer on the Radiance was nice. My abhorrence of buffets doesn't have anything to do with the quality of food, I just don't like food being exposed for anyone to touch. I've seen a kid lick food, and a mother scold the child, only to say "You put that back!" Sure enough, the kid puts it back. Can't remember which cruise that was on. The MDR is definitely less populated than it used to be yes, but fairly less likely to have my food licked..

Interesting hear everyone is echoing our 'what the heck happened' thoughts on the sad state of Royal's MDR. We got off Adventure of the Seas last week and the first night in the MDR, we asked the waiter where the rest of the menu was? The choices were simply dreadful, and extra terrible for someone that doesn't eat seafood like myself. We were amazed by the WJ though, the selection and quality was much better than I remembered, I just wish they wouldn't have cratered the MDR food and menu so much.

We leave on a 2 week repositioning cruise to Europe in 2 days, and we're not sure what to expect menu-wise...

I usually put on a pound a day on a cruise and thats with exercising every or every other day in the gym.

It's more like 1.5 lbs/day for me but I'm allergic to exercise. When in the Caribbean, my wife wakes up early to go running so I get up with her... for cappuccino and "pre-breakfast."

It's more like 1.5 lbs/day for me but I'm allergic to exercise. When in the Caribbean, my wife wakes up early to go running so I get up with her... for cappuccino and "pre-breakfast."
When in Orlando where you live we go to Dennys for breakfast early.

Pauline gets the fit fare veggy skillet and i get the Phillysteak omelette with a side of ham.

I rarely put much weight on then so it must be the DL nibbles and free champagne lol.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

When in Orlando where you live we go to Dennys for breakfast early.

Pauline gets the fit fare veggy skillet and i get the Phillysteak omelette with a side of ham.

I rarely put much weight on then so it must be the DL nibbles and free champagne lol.

I eat/drink too much from morning to night to single out a main reason why I put on so much weight. It's more of a cumulative affect. :) I'm actually a thin guy and try to eat healthy at home during the week and then indulge when we go out on weekends. I just happen to like to eat and can put away quite a bit despite my stature so when I'm on a cruise with unlimited, all-inclusive, multiple food options available 24/7... well, you get the idea. I drink way too many DL cappuccinos each morning and the alcohol/snacks each night don't help either.

BTW, next time you're in Orlando, if you want to try somewhere better than Denny's (nothing wrong with it, it's standard breakfast/diner food), see if there's a Village Inn or a Keke's nearby. We don't go out to breakfast often but those are our breakfast chains of choice. Not expensive or fancy, just a step up from Denny's IMO.

I eat/drink too much from morning to night to single out a main reason why I put on so much weight. It's more of a cumulative affect. :) I'm actually a thin guy and try to eat healthy at home during the week and then indulge when we go out on weekends. I just happen to like to eat and can put away quite a bit despite my stature so when I'm on a cruise with unlimited, all-inclusive, multiple food options available 24/7... well, you get the idea. I drink way too many DL cappuccinos each morning and the alcohol/snacks each night don't help either.

BTW, next time you're in Orlando, if you want to try somewhere better than Denny's (nothing wrong with it, it's standard breakfast/diner food), see if there's a Village Inn or a Keke's nearby. We don't go out to breakfast often but those are our breakfast chains of choice. Not expensive or fancy, just a step up from Denny's IMO.

Thanks i will check them out next time.

The last 3 Thanksgivings we have stayed at the Buenavistapalace hotel next to Downtown Disney.

Thanks i will check them out next time.

The last 3 Thanksgivings we have stayed at the Buenavistapalace hotel next to Downtown Disney.

No problem. I live close to the Magic Kingdom. We go to the movie theater in Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs). Some good restaurants have opened there too since they renovated the whole area over the past few years.

Friendly's and Denny's are virtually the same thing. Not familiar with KWKool. You probably have to drive away from Disney out towards the surrounding area (near me) for the breakfast spots I mentioned so not really worth it as I doubt you come across the pond for pancakes and eggs. :)

No problem. I live close to the Magic Kingdom. We go to the movie theater in Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs). Some good restaurants have opened there too since they renovated the whole area over the past few years.

Friendly's and Denny's are virtually the same thing. Not familiar with KWKool. You probably have to drive away from Disney out towards the surrounding area (near me) for the breakfast spots I mentioned so not really worth it as I doubt you come across the pond for pancakes and eggs. :)

Kools was on Highway 192 but closed a few years ago.

Its a great area we have been to WDW many times.

They don't do breakfast, but BOATHOUSE is AMAZING!!!!!