Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

I was wondering the same thing. We also received an email for the 5/25 cruise and no cabins are available for upgrade above a regular balcony. We're in a CS so I'm not sure why we got the offer. I just assume they are collecting "data" to see if the programs draws any interest and at what price point cruisers are willing to bid to "move up". Hope to meet up with you on our cruise!

********************************************************************************

On the other hand..........................................................................................................

I'm not sure about how this all fits negatively into corporate social responsibility. I actually see it as a win win for both sides. Celebrity makes extra money and some cruisers may feel they got a great upgrade for just a little extra. Those who bid and don't win still have the same great cabin they originally booked. I think the only cruisers who may lose out are those few who may have gotten complimentary upgrades and last minute cruisers who qualify for those great last minute interline rates. Just my thoughts...I'm sure others will differ and that's ok.

I agree. Social responsibility in this case to me means you got what you paid for. No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, an upgrade. If they get one free, good for them. If they choose to pay whatever the winning bid is and upgrade, it is their choice and like you say, a win win for both sides. How is this in any way irresponsible? We may not like this for whatever reason, but they are under no 'social responsibility' to give us upgrades, or offer them for a cheap price. I have my issues now and then with Celebrity pricing, but cruises are not basic needs like food or water or shelter (ok to some of us maybe:):)), so cruise lines can charge what they want, when they want. It is up to us if we want to pay it.

I don't call $400 per person to go from ocean view to veranda for a 7 night cruise "a little more money."

That may be the case for you, but not necessarily for someone else. I personally would not upgrade for that amount but if I'm offered the opportunity to upgrade from a veranda to a royal suite for $1,000 then maybe I might just like to splurge and bid for it at the lower end, most definitely not at the higher $5,000 end. If I win, then I'll feel I scored a great deal. It all depends on each person's unique circumstance. Not everyone pays the same amount for their cabin so I can't place a blanket judgement that $400 is too much for everyone. If the market shows it's too much then Celebrity will quickly reevaluate it's offerings and adjust accordingly or discontinue the program. But under no circumstances will I begrudge the person for getting a better deal on a cabin than me because he/she chose to bid on an upgrade. If anything, I might feel a twinge of envy that I missed the opportunity. ;-)

We have been travelling in balcony/concierge and aqua cabins for years (elite +), and we have never had any sort of free upgrade. Occasionally, I think I've seen someone post that they did get some sort of free upgrade, so I guess it does happen. So this program, if it even is a new program, isn't changing anything for me. I assume that like most, I'll evaluate offers that look good and while I doubt there will actually be a great offer, who knows. I haven't seen an offer (yet?), but I wonder if your current perks follow you if you take the upgrade? I'm not sure I'd upgrade to what is essentially a "guaranteed cabin" offer, since I am pretty careful to book a cabin/location I like, in the first place. Upgrading from a 1A cabin to an Ax cabin possibly right under a noisy area would not be a plus in my book.

Celebrity will continue to try to find ways to squeeze a little more out of each of us....one doesn't have to strain much to remember the recent Mast Grill fiasco (changing to a fee hamburgers/hotdogs). Some may work, some won't. This one is a ho hum.....I actually don't care if this one works or not....I like it better than finding a pay toilet in my cabin...or deck chairs replaced by:

:)

I received an email today for my upcoming Bermuda cruise on May 27th. I’m booked in a sky suite. The bidding starts at $1000 per person for a CS, RS or PH. I’m happy in my sky suite but wondering why this is an offer at all. I looked on the website and it looks like only an RS is available. Hmmmm.......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I received an email today for my upcoming Bermuda cruise on May 27th. I’m booked in a sky suite. The bidding starts at $1000 per person for a CS, RS or PH. I’m happy in my sky suite but wondering why this is an offer at all. I looked on the website and it looks like only an RS is available. Hmmmm.......

Interesting, if at the time there was no. CS or PH available (or effectively no way you would ever win them by entering) then that advert would probably be illegal in the U.K.

Quick question, by bidding are you committing to buy if you "win" or do you have the option to back out?

Interesting, if at the time there was no. CS or PH available (or effectively no way you would ever win them by entering) then that advert would probably be illegal in the U.K.

Quick question, by bidding are you committing to buy if you "win" or do you have the option to back out?

I believe you are committing to buy. So you had better be sure. However, you will not be charged if you do not win.

I assume no. Here is what is says.

Welcome to Celebrity MoveUp

In just a few clicks, you can submit an offer to upgrade your stateroom on your upcoming cruise.

1. Browse through the stateroom options below and put in an offer based on the amount you're willing to pay for an upgrade for each stateroom option. Making offers on multiple rooms will increase your chances of getting upgraded, but you'll only ever pay for one upgrade.

2. We'll notify you via email if your request for an upgrade has been approved. If your offer is accepted, you'll be automatically charged for the upgrade. If not, you pay nothing and enjoy the stateroom you’ve already booked.

3. Offers are priced per person, based on double occupancy, for the length of your cruise—only the first and second guest in your stateroom will be charged. Additional guests beyond the second guest are upgraded with no additional cost.

For more information about our Celebrity MoveUp program, please refer to the*Frequently Asked Questions.

I don’t see any problem or issue with it.

Gives people the opportunity to move up if they want and feel if it is worth the extra cost. Many may have booked a lower grade cabin and then wished that they had a better one so they now have the oppporturnity/chance to get it.

It is also fair to those that booked a cabin that they wanted and paid the price and not giving it away for less to those that didn’t because it wasn’t booked.

If I don’t like it I just ignore it. I get many emails that I automatically delete everyday. Many are from cruise lines and TAs that offer the same stuff everyday and sometimesq twice a day.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I get many emails that I automatically delete everyday. Many are from cruise lines and TAs that offer the same stuff everyday and sometimes twice a day.

The "MoveUp" emails were sent to a "group of select individuals." They had our names, sailing dates and reservation numbers in them. It wasn't just an automated TA or cruise line mailing advertisement. I also ignore most of those too.

The "MoveUp" emails were sent to a "group of select individuals." They had our names, sailing dates and reservation numbers in them. It wasn't just an automated TA or cruise line mailing advertisement. I also ignore most of those too.

Did everyone on your roll call receive a MoveUp email?

No they did not.

Thanks for answering, so it wasn’t a blanket email to all those that had already reserved. Wonder how they choose then? Perhaps by residential area, previous spend, TA, surname in the alphabet :D - suppose it could be anything? A little like the pre-release of the new itineraries emails.

They probably sent it to everyone who has not complained about their IT department or web page. That would explain why so few received the offer.

They likely just sent the offer to those who booked cabins below the levels that they are wanting to fill.

But maybe there are different price offers that vary depending on how much each person has complained, as it would be difficult to find passengers who have never complained about their IT department or website at all.

Wait, I think there was a guy who actually posted that he never had any problem with their website.

They should probably give him a free upgrade. ;p

My MoveUp experience,so I got the email,put in several bids we “won” an upgrade to an aqua class cabin,all good,problem started when I went to print new luggage tags. The website wouldn’t let me print them so I called celebrity,they told me I had to call my TA,so I did,my TA told me to wait 24 hrs before they would print. So I waited 24 hrs,website said check in was closed,no luggage tags,called my TA again and was told that I need to get them at the pier. No big deal but why didn’t celebrity tell me this the first time I called or sent this info as part of the winning bid notice. .???? Any way we’re going cruising and eating at Blu ! Luggage tags be damned!

I called into Celebrity today about some upcoming sailings. The Captain's Club representative stated that the program is being tried on Summit and Reflection.to see if it is working and tweaking it before rolling out to the other ships. For anyone who has gotten a reasonable upgrade, congratulations. I'll be interested to see how this works on an upcoming sailing with the bid process and the prices. Happy sails to everyone.