Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

There are lots of people who think nothing of throwing away a lot more than a product is worth "because I'm on vacation" or some variation on that. Then again, they couldn't get people to buy $10 hamburgers, so it will be interesting to see how long this lasts.

• Like 1

Is there an option to lower your bid? A toggle on the side of the offer? On ncl, they offer a ridiculous high bid and call it something like “highly likely”; however there is the option to lower the amount. Example if the offer was $400 pp you could reduce the amount to $100 pp (or any amount) and the likelihood of “winning” the bid goes down also to something like “slim chance”. I don’t remember the exact verbiage but you get the idea. Without the option to change the amount, this isn’t bidding an upgrade it’s outright buying one at an absurd amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also received a MoveUp offer for next week on Equinox. The Celebrity site shows a toggle similar to what's described above, with a meter that shows weak offer (minimum red) to strong offer (maximum green) as the rate you bid is increased. We'll also be staying with our current cabin since there's no incentive for us to move to a CC or Aqua for this cruise and the minimum bids for suites are way too high for us.

I also read the FAQs on the website and there is no mention of Captain's Club points. The prior upsell program only awarded points based on the original cabin you booked, not the upgrade cabin. I'm wondering if the MoveUp offer will do the same.

That's the problem, it's not more. You can book a guarantee veranda for $799 per person - no perks. If you want one perk add $150 per person. So that would be $1,049. We paid $949 for our ocean view but we got 2 perks (and TA threw in a tips).

Whenever I book any cruise, I look at the price differential between each type of cabin...and, if that differential is minimal, I move up...If it's a lot of money, I ask myself if I really need the better category. Then, I watch the pricing over time...and if that gap narrows, I consider changing my reservation. If I were paying $949 for a cruise and the cruise line started offering a better cabin type for $799--even plus $150 for one perk (check my math, wouldn't that be the same $949?), I would figure the only difference is that small amount of OBC--and, for that, it would be worth it, at least to me, to move up and get a veranda. I would not wait for some sort of offer/gimmick from Celebrity...I would ignore the "offer" and just call my TA and have her negotiate the upgrade for me. Those extra perks the TA throws in? Mine bases that on the price paid (which her commission is based on), so those would not change if I was paying the same price. I would be surprised if she were not able to negotiate that for me--Veranda cabin at the same price minus the cruise line OBC ($150?)...She may even be able to beat that.

I would be surprised if she were not able to negotiate that for me--Veranda cabin at the same price minus the cruise line OBC ($150?)...She may even be able to beat that.

Or perhaps she may not be able to negotiate if X are now changing to a new system called MoveUp :confused:? I presume it will depend on how successful the bidding is.

If I was the X CEO I would be asking the CTO whether they had their priorities right. Implementing a yield management/bidding system when the basic functions of the core customer service portal are so woefully inadequate seems a little strange to me.

Anyway it probably won't apply to bookings made in sterling from the UK anyway so I won't be getting too fussed about it.

Had a strange interaction with an upgrade system the other day. DW was over in Vancouver visiting our eldest and his family. She had a premium economy ticket with BA. When she was out there I looked at the cost of an upgrade for her on the overnight flight back. It offered me £4,200 for Business and £3,600 for First. Just goes to show how bizarre the yield management calculations can be at times. On another occasion we got business class flights for £2 more than premium economy.

Whenever I book any cruise, I look at the price differential between each type of cabin...and, if that differential is minimal, I move up...If it's a lot of money, I ask myself if I really need the better category. Then, I watch the pricing over time...and if that gap narrows, I consider changing my reservation. If I were paying $949 for a cruise and the cruise line started offering a better cabin type for $799--even plus $150 for one perk (check my math, wouldn't that be the same $949?), I would figure the only difference is that small amount of OBC--and, for that, it would be worth it, at least to me, to move up and get a veranda. I would not wait for some sort of offer/gimmick from Celebrity...I would ignore the "offer" and just call my TA and have her negotiate the upgrade for me. Those extra perks the TA throws in? Mine bases that on the price paid (which her commission is based on), so those would not change if I was paying the same price. I would be surprised if she were not able to negotiate that for me--Veranda cabin at the same price minus the cruise line OBC ($150?)...She may even be able to beat that.

My amount was incorrect in my post. The added perk is $250 per person so that plus $799 makes it $1049 pp for the veranda cabin with Celebrity. We would lose a perk plus have to pay $100 each more and increase our insurance amount by $60. Therefore we would have to pay $260 more to move up and lose a perk. Even at that lower price I am not sure I feel it's worth it for a 1 week cruise in May from NJ to Bermuda. But it's much, much lower than $400 per person on the Celebrity MoveUp bidding process.

This entire MoveUp thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Edited by CruisingChick

It's called supply and demand. A basic premise of economics 101. And let's remember that the SOLE purpose of Celebrity or any business is to make a profit. For it's owners and stockholders.

(I know of only one exception: Newman's Own. And even they are slowly adjusting their mission.)

It's called supply and demand. A basic premise of economics 101. And let's remember that the SOLE purpose of Celebrity or any business is to make a profit. For it's owners and stockholders.

(I know of only one exception: Newman's Own. And even they are slowly adjusting their mission.)

In this instance, it’s more about who will fall for the upgrade offer and get into a bidding war - similar to dangling a carrot in front of a gambler! DYKWIA was possibly correct in saying that their will be records on those pax that are susceptible to paying more than others. X are not getting any new customers out of this, just trying to maximise profits rather than selling those higher cabins off as cheaper GTYs in order to fill the ship, which I agree they can rightly do as a profit making organisation.

As I pointed out earlier, and Chemmo confirmed I wasn’t imagining it, X actually stated a few years ago that they would be offering those upgrades to CC higher status members first (and I can understand why X would prefer the Move Up scenario instead (profits), but no one forced them to initially make the statement regarding CC members :confused:). They appear to be following their competition more and more nowadays rather than taking the lead.

Agreed.

This topic was a part of our cocktail conversation last night. Although we wouldn't participate in a MoveUp scenario such as has been described here by others, we did identify a few people within our own circle of friends/family that would very likely "take the bait" if ever offered.

I'm sure the percentage of cruisers on any given =X= ship that read/follow this forum is very, very low. So that leaves a lot of people out there with little knowledge of fare structures who may very well be vulnerable enough to participate. As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss!

Agreed.

This topic was a part of our cocktail conversation last night. Although we wouldn't participate in a MoveUp scenario such as has been described here by others, we did identify a few people within our own circle of friends/family that would very likely "take the bait" if ever offered.

Which is what I just stated in the previous post: there will be some who just can’t stop themselves ;).

I think you missed an important bit out "purpose of any is to make a profit for its owners or stakeholders while maintaining corporate social responsibility"

You can't do what you like in the name of making a profit

I think you missed an important bit out "purpose of any is to make a profit for its owners or stakeholders while maintaining corporate social responsibility"

You can't do what you like in the name of making a profit

Maybe. But I'd propose that it's a little different than "social responsibility." It's what is within the applicable laws.

Time for another good old days? I just want my stress free cruise...I play enough games!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where is the stress? Book a cruise and go on it.

If you are worried about getting a better price or that you paid too much I don’t think anything has changed. It has been that way forever with everything.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I recieved the Move up email for our upcoming Equinox cruise on May 25th. When I looked at the website to see what the Aqua and Suite prices were they show as not available. Does Celebrity keep some of these cabins open for upgrade opportunities?

I was wondering the same thing. We also received an email for the 5/25 cruise and no cabins are available for upgrade above a regular balcony. We're in a CS so I'm not sure why we got the offer. I just assume they are collecting "data" to see if the programs draws any interest and at what price point cruisers are willing to bid to "move up". Hope to meet up with you on our cruise!

********************************************************************************

On the other hand...

While the program may seem a little irritating to some, I don't think others will be bothered by it and some may actually like the opportunity to upgrade for a little more money...if the numbers work out for their unique situation. If so, good for them.

Airlines have done this in the past to upgrade coach class passengers into unsold first class seats as well as bidding for being a volunteer for being bumped off of a flight. I've upgraded to first class for $75 before on a cross country flight and enjoyed the extra space and meal. I'm sure the airlines would rather I have it for a few extra bucks than a nonrev employee. I've also bid for being bumped off a flight when my travel plans were flexible. Never once won the "bump bid" because my bid was too high. No problem, still took my flight as originally planned.

I'm not sure about how this all fits negatively into corporate social responsibility. I actually see it as a win win for both sides. Celebrity makes extra money and some cruisers may feel they got a great upgrade for just a little extra. Those who bid and don't win still have the same great cabin they originally booked. I think the only cruisers who may lose out are those few who may have gotten complimentary upgrades and last minute cruisers who qualify for those great last minute interline rates. Just my thoughts...I'm sure others will differ and that's ok.

• Like 1

I recieved the Move up email for our upcoming Equinox cruise on May 25th. When I looked at the website to see what the Aqua and Suite prices were they show as not available. Does Celebrity keep some of these cabins open for upgrade opportunities?

We're on the cruise before you which is apparently sold out since the listing has been pulled from all the sites I checked. Yet, I received the upgrade offer as well. Celebrity isn't holding any cabins back for upgrades (which would be really foolish anyway), but if anyone cancels at the last minute, they can easily fill the cabin with someone who was dumb enough to make an offer at these inflated prices.