Luggage

cbbandit

I am looking to purchase luggage for our upcoming Cruise to Alaska in August. What is the best brand out there, what do others use. The set I have is ancient and is over the size limit to fly. Thanks, :)

There are two schools of thought. Buy the cheap kind that you get at someplace like JC Penney for $40 a set (24in checked, plus carry on, plus personal item) and assume it will only last a couple of trips, but that if the airline destroys it they will hand you a new checked bag, or buy a considerably more expensive set that won't be destroyed (hopefully). Or, split the difference and buy something in the middle that may last 10 or more trips, but that you won't be upset if it is broken and the airline hands you a new one.

Keep in mind, the airlines buy 24in and 26in suitcases by the truckload and hand them over when they really destroy a bag. Will you be satisfied with what they have if they destroy yours?

I bought a nice Rick Steves carry on international size bag for about $70 and it has endured many trips. I think it’s 19” so fits carry on standards for Europe and other countries. Best bag I ever owned. Lightweight.

I bought a 26” bag at TJMaxx for $40. Name brand Nautica. Lightweight and sturdy. Has survived many trips.

There are two schools of thought. Buy the cheap kind that you get at someplace like JC Penney for $40 a set (24in checked, plus carry on, plus personal item) and assume it will only last a couple of trips, but that if the airline destroys it

Keep in mind, the airlines buy 24in and 26in suitcases by the truckload and hand them over when they really destroy a bag. Will you be satisfied with what they have if they destroy yours?

I worked for an airline. They do not buy them by the truckload and hand them over

I have had a Travel Pro roll-aboard that has lasted for about 30 years, I used to travel for work 3-4 times a month and to this day it is going strong and now has had 40 cruise vacations. I also had a Travel Pro rolling garment bag that lasted for about 25years. Just replaced the garment bag and just got a new suitcase - both Travel Pro.

Best brand? As previously stated, it depends on what you're looking for in a bag. Why not look online for consumer reviews of various brands and styles. Only you can decide if you want hard or soft sided; 2 wheel, or 4 wheel spinners; suitcase or duffle style; and which sizes suit your preferred modes of travel. But do take note of the EXACT external measurements, including wheels and handle, and weight of the bag. The lighter, the better, both for ease of carrying, and for luggage weight restrictions on airlines.

Once you've found a brand and style you like, check around online for sales. You can often get very good quality bags at discounted prices.

I agree with jelayne - Travel Pro is great. Wife and I bought new bags in 2014 - she bought purple and I bought red. We travel 4 times a year, fly and cruising They still look great and will last for years. International flights are the worst, but a rag with a little cleaner on it will bring them back to new every time. We did not get the black ones as there are so many ones that it can be hard to identify them. Ours stand out and are very easy to spot.

Also, look around the airport and notice most flight crews have Travel Pro. They know what lasts.

We just purchase two sets of Travel Pro. :) The have the 4-wheel spinner designs, are lighter weight, and both sets are a plum color.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/closeout-travelpro-walkabout-3-25-expandable-spinner-suitcase-created-for-macys?ID=2584997&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-240_order_confirmation-_-2584997-_-MB&cm_lm_mo64=Y2NzaGlwbWF0ZXNAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=

They will be replacing our Delsey that are looking awful after many years of use. The airlines have destroyed bits and pieces of them.

I am a bit concerned over the new sets because they appear a little flimsy. Though the darker color should hold up and look better than the current light cobalt blue luggage that we have had. I first saw the Travel Pro at TJMaxx and then went online and found the sets at Macy's for a really good price.

BTW- Never had the airlines replace any of our cases. Even when they broke a wheel. How do I get a free suitcase? :confused:

How do I get a free suitcase? :confused:

When the entire side of the case is ripped off and your clothes are mushed-in with shrink wrap and tape.

I vote for TravelPro, too. It usually will last for a very long time, knock wood, except when a machine rips it apart. BTW, the airline (AA) replaced my TravelPro 25".

I have TravelPro, Tumi and Briggs and Riley. Without a doubt, the B&R is the most expensive but by far the best. And they have a lifetime guarantee regardless of who causes the damage.

When the entire side of the case is ripped off and your clothes are mushed-in with shrink wrap and tape.

I vote for TravelPro, too. It usually will last for a very long time, knock wood, except when a machine rips it apart. BTW, the airline (AA) replaced my TravelPro 25".

Did they leave a note, also? :D

I did have luggage replaced by American in San Juan when my B&R came from plane looking like it flew on the outside of the plane. They gave me 2 smaller Tumis. This was many years ago (at least 10)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had purchased an expensive piece of luggage for a trip to Europe. One of the brands listed here. Came back with a smashed wheel and other damage. Looked like someone took a sledgehammer to it. No replacement offered. So now I have purchased the less expensive luggage and don't care what happens. My luck is that it has lasted for years and years.

I have TravelPro, Tumi and Briggs and Riley. Without a doubt, the B&R is the most expensive but by far the best. And they have a lifetime guarantee regardless of who causes the damage.

We also have both TravelPro and Briggs and Riley. Both are excellent. We have had to have both repaired (zipper on TP, wheel on B&R) and with one company (can't remember which) we had to pay for shipping I think but nothing with the other company. By the time repairs were needed they had both been used for years. BTW it was my large B&R that needed repair. My smaller carry-on is still going strong.

I was going to mention this also. The best is pretty subjective, but there is no doubt B & R has the best warranty. Another good thing is that you don't need proof of purchase for it to be covered. So you could buy an old one on ebay and you still have the lifetime guaranty.

I currently own Rimowa (checked) and Briggs & Riley(carry on, personal item & garment bag).

I have a wonderful 29" Travelpro that is 15-20 years old that still looks great, it's just pretty heavy. Empty weight is around 14 lbs. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it.

If I were buying new luggage and price wasn't an object I would probably get the Briggs & Riley Sympatico collection. I think the 26" is around $650.

When I traveled a lot for business I used travel pro. As people have said very durable. Now that I am retired and are doing longer trips I have switched away from them. The problem with travel pro and other high end very durable brands is the weight. I have switched to less expensive, lighter weight bags, due to air line weight limits. Gives me 5 to 6 pounds more cargo weight capacity for still pretty good durability. Current bag (ful wheeled duffle with upper and lower compartments) has lasted over 30 international trips.