Does Celebrity plan to have Transgender Bathrooms?

Seth Jessop

Hello I got a tough question here,

My 15 year old son has come out as Transgender almost a year ago and has some concerns about the public area bathrooms on board. Basically he doesn't feel comfortable using either the men's or women's restrooms and says he gets strange looks at times. Of course he will be using our cabin restroom as much as possible, but he was curious if any of the cruise lines will be more inclusive for Transgenders in the near future?

I remember hearing in the news a while back that certain department stores are already on top of this issue.

I don’t know of any “family” restrooms on board. I do know there are some public restrooms that are individual, not multiple stall on the Equinox (Solstice Class). I would map those out with him when I got on the ship. They are labeled men’s/women’s, but since they are single occupancy, it doesn’t really matter.

Vickie

I know of no plans to retrofit any of the existing restrooms on the M or S Class ships, the engineering challenges would be so huge, considering that you do have your own stateroom as an option. As for Edge, we don’t have all the areas revealed but there are no indications there of any, either.

I would think that people would give even more looks at someone who used gender neutral bathrooms. I guess he needs to use the bathroom that he identifies with. I have been in bathrooms when there is someone obviously born male in there and I really couldn’t care less.

I don’t think the cruise companies would feel it would be fiscally appropriate for the installation of gender neutral bathrooms. Statistics suggest that about 0.3% of the population identify themselves as transgender. Extrapolate this stat to a ship of 3000 people, there could be approximately 9 people on a ship that may be transgender.

I remember vaguely that there was a legal case in the UK with a ferry company, whereby the solution implemented was just to not label a toilet as 'ladies' and 'gentlemen' and instead just use the universal symbols, so I think Celebrity just uses only the symbols already

I believe there is one on M Class ships, near Michael’s Club.

Yes on the M Class ships between Micheal's Club and the main theater their are 3 bathrooms. One is a family bathroom. I'm not sure if their are any family bathrooms on the M Class ships.

On the S class ships, some have a non-gender specific bathroom just off the Solstice Deck. I can't remember which ones do, but I recall seeing it on one of them. The restrooms by the lawn club/sunset bar are marked, but are a single stall with a waiting area, so easy to use.

Beyond that, I'd recommend he go back to the stateroom.

I know the original question was specifically about restrooms, but I would be equally concerned about the teen's club in general, if he participates. Friends of ours are gay parents and had an incident with the kid's club. They vowed never to sail Celebrity again.

First I agree Bo,

"I concur that the child will have to get used to it, yet not on YOUR or anyone else's timeline/time frame, only his and his family."

Second, This seems a little like making an issue where no issue may exist. A cruise ship is not the only place that does not have gender neutral bathrooms. In fact I would suggest that gender neutral bathrooms are the exception rather than the rule. I'm not sure why the ship would be any different than everyday life for this person.

Third, there are plenty of people that avoid the public restrooms for a lot of reasons and never use them on the ship. Perhaps the OP's son/daughter will be one of those people.

This is a sad commentary on Cruise Critic in general. The OP was seeking information NOT judgement. This is a forum for just that, information.

People are mean,nasty and rude sometimes on these boards and it is hard to take at times.

We wish the OP's son nothing but the best in life. He is not asking for anything from anyone but common human courtesy as are his parents!!.

This is a sad commentary on Cruise Critic in general. The OP was seeking information NOT judgement. This is a forum for just that, information.

People are mean,nasty and rude sometimes on these boards and it is hard to take at times.

We wish the OP's son nothing but the best in life. He is not asking for anything from anyone but common human courtesy as are his parents!!.

Well said, Culver City Cruiser! As the parent of a gay son, I am very empathetic towards the OP. Being gay or transgender is not a choice and it’s natural for a parent to want to try to help their child.

I would recommend making a call to Celebrity’s Captains Club for some information on public restrooms for the ship you’re sailing on that would match up with your teen’s requirements.

I wish all the best for your teen and family in the future. Despite some of the ignorant comments that have been expressed on this thread, the world is changing toward greater understanding and acceptance.

What is wrong with scoping out where the family/accessible one-room restrooms are (I know for sure they have them by the theater, probably other places but I haven't been searching them out) and just use them?

I've been pleasantly surprised actually. I just popped into this thread to watch the drama but so far there have only been a couple of medieval responses and they have been responded to appropriately. Hopefully this thread won't attract any more but compared to other forums this one is positively sedate.

I've been pleasantly surprised actually. I just popped into this thread to watch the drama but so far there have only been a couple of medieval responses and they have been responded to appropriately. Hopefully this thread won't attract any more but compared to other forums this one is positively sedate.
g - usually one will find most CC posters in this type of request /post are overly understanding. We are usually found to be compassionate and understanding on such matters regardless of our personal politics or affiliances.

Sometimes, individuals who post get confused about when to post and on which topics where their input can be valued and helpful, purely in my opinion.

I do not doubt that good intentions are there, then again I wish for the OP to know that there is a core of support for him and his family regardless of how it is constituted not only here but aboard as well. Yet he aware of fellow passengers who may go beyond the pale while aboard and I can only believe that he will be there for his son.

Often, in my opinion, these comments are best left to subjective topics, i.e. food, drink packages and the like. That is where you will find rip roaring lively "discussion" as it were.

No mistake, I have participated in such take downs myself, sometimes sorry sometimes laughing in due course, to be sure.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

First I agree Bo,

"I concur that the child will have to get used to it, yet not on YOUR or anyone else's timeline/time frame, only his and his family."

Second, This seems a little like making an issue where no issue may exist. A cruise ship is not the only place that does not have gender neutral bathrooms. In fact I would suggest that gender neutral bathrooms are the exception rather than the rule. I'm not sure why the ship would be any different than everyday life for this person.

Third, there are plenty of people that avoid the public restrooms for a lot of reasons and never use them on the ship. Perhaps the OP's son/daughter will be one of those people.

I work in property development for the public sector in the U.K. and we are increasingly asked to provide gender neutral facilities, I think this will only increase as time goes by. I have been to offices where all the toilets are Gender Neutral. In London, some public toilets are gender neutral, and Ive even seen (again in London) street urinals fitted (near busy pub areas) so you can relieve yourself outdoors in the full gaze of passers by. An indication, perhaps, that society is getting less bothered about toilet segregation and absolute privacy in this context.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london+street+urinals&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=soYh1hvwa8biZM:

To the best of my knowledge all toilets on planes and trains are gender neutral. I've also never been to anyone's home and found they've installed gender specific toilets.

It would surprise me if anyone now developing a facility for 3000 or so people would not seriously consider the provision of gender neutral facilities.

Edited by DYKWIA

I work in property development for the public sector in the U.K. and we are increasingly asked to provide gender neutral facilities,

To the best of my knowledge all toilets on planes and trains are gender neutral. I've also never been to anyone's home and found they've installed gender specific toilets.

It would surprise me if anyone now developing a facility for 3000 or so people would not seriously consider the provision of gender neutral facilities.

Except that unlike public places in general (offices, retail stores, planes, etc.) each cruise ship passenger already has his or her very own private toilet in their cabin. I would imagine that this would limit the need to provide gender-neutral toilets ship-wide.

Except that unlike public places in general (offices, retail stores, planes, etc.) each cruise ship passenger already has his or her very own private toilet in their cabin. I would imagine that this would limit the need to provide gender-neutral toilets ship-wide.
Then why do they have any public toilets on the ship at all??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Then why do they have any public toilets on the ship at all??

If you are in the dining room, theater, gym, pool area, bar, etc., so you don't have to go back to your stateroom to use your personal toilet. I'm thinking the OP may not have that option.

I imagine that during the heyday of cruising, think 1700 - ~1950 passengers 'usually' did not have their own private facilities. Moving forward since that time and into our modern day expectation of sailing and expectation of modern facilities in public spaces for passengers public facilities are just that, a facility so as to not inconvenience passengers with having to return to their cabin to use the facility.

While there may be others, in all my time sailing (limited to 10 or so) I have only sailed with one person who does not use public facilities and always returned to their cabin. An inconvenience for me, when the closest one is usually no more than 50' away each of us has our own approach in such matters to be sure, which I can accept.

Enough said on this topic.

bon voyage