Does Celebrity plan to have Transgender Bathrooms?

Seth Jessop

The French seem to have a reasonable take on toilet facilities, except for their pissoirs. I recall going to Paris in the 1960's and a public toilet we visited was for both men and women. I assume anyone could therefore use the facility. There were no urinals just cubicals, decent ones at that with proper floor to ceiling thick walls. The only strange thing about them was the light went on in the cubicle when you entered and the door had a full length frosted reed style glass panel so you saw an image of the occupant in dissected vertical sections. This aspect was well over the top but definitely a French concept.

Realistically on ships they could have a good number of general public area toilets available to all comers as well as the standard men or women as they now have.

Regards John

I can’t tell you how relieved I am to return to this thread nearly a day later and see the responses have remained both civil and compassionate.

Thank you for restoring my faith in our little cruising community. :)

“Relieved”. Good choice of words:):):):):)

I wanted to once again thank everyone for their thoughts on this matter, my son and I have some tough decisions to make here.

After reading the many supportive comments this past week, it has put a smile on both of our faces at such an inclusive cruising community. Some of the comments have been a bit tough to read honestly, and it turns out that my son has read some of them because I have my account permanently logged in.

The best I can describe it, he is confused and searching right now, and I will support him in whatever decision he makes. I don't know what people said on here the last couple days, but something upset him and eventually blew up into some turbulence in our home. Maybe we have been too agreeable, but we want to be supportive and respect the decision that he made. I'm a parent, that's my job. Maybe it's how someone here put it, that you can't buy alcohol or vote at 15. We made an agreement to wait until he's 18 before making any drastic decisions as far as surgery and therapies because of a couple intolerant voices. He's also started watching someone named Blair White on the internet that's causing some doubt, and claiming there's some hormone test.

Thank you for your understanding. It's tough being a father at times, and even tougher on my son going through all that he has. We both thank you for your support and kindness. Hopefully this thread helps bring awareness for gender neutral bathrooms, and continue to be a space for compassion and inclusion.

I wanted to once again thank everyone for their thoughts on this matter, my son and I have some tough decisions to make here.

After reading the many supportive comments this past week, it has put a smile on both of our faces at such an inclusive cruising community. Some of the comments have been a bit tough to read honestly, and it turns out that my son has read some of them because I have my account permanently logged in.

The best I can describe it, he is confused and searching right now, and I will support him in whatever decision he makes. I don't know what people said on here the last couple days, but something upset him and eventually blew up into some turbulence in our home. Maybe we have been too agreeable, but we want to be supportive and respect the decision that he made. I'm a parent, that's my job. Maybe it's how someone here put it, that you can't buy alcohol or vote at 15. We made an agreement to wait until he's 18 before making any drastic decisions as far as surgery and therapies because of a couple intolerant voices. He's also started watching someone named Blair White on the internet that's causing some doubt, and claiming there's some hormone test.

Thank you for your understanding. It's tough being a father at times, and even tougher on my son going through all that he has. We both thank you for your support and kindness. Hopefully this thread helps bring awareness for gender neutral bathrooms, and continue to be a space for compassion and inclusion.

Best wishes for the future,

My wife and i live in the U.K. And have both worked for the same business for over 25 years. It's now recognised as one of the Top 20 employers in the U.K. For their policies, attitudes, etc towards the LGBT community (in fact they put a lot of effort into championing the rights and promoting inclusivity). It's a world of difference c.w just 10-15 years ago. I don't know whether they have charts like this (Stonewall in the UK) in the States but it might be useful in the future when your son looks for work to seek out organisations that have a good record at employing minority groups.

I think most of the world is rapidly changing for the better with respect to rights and treatment of minorities - it's not a road without bumps and some countries are awful.

As a total aside, something did dawn on me when you mentioned that your son had access to your Cruise Crituc Account. I'm assuming that confidentiality isn't an issue and this isn't a private matter within your family? I only say this because your profile on CC seems quite detailed - photos, names, places where you live etc. I tend to go completely the other way on Social Media even down to my user name. Just a thought in case you have concerns over privacy in this matter.

Thank you for your understanding. I will admit that I was quite surprised when I found out how my son felt a while back, and went through a difficult adjustment period. But it's still my child and I'd do anything to help him. My boy is quite shy to begin with and is afraid of the public at this time. Hopefully it will become easier.

I also want to thank all the other people here with the helpful advice. My son read some of these posts and is appreciative of the support and kindness.

Dad, I think you are the cool one! Thank you for supporting your son! Sadly I have seen too many gay and transgender parents who make their child's life a living hell. Your child is lucky to have you as his father :)

Seth, you sound like the most loving, caring, parent and your son is very lucky to have you as a father:). Unconditional Love......every child should be so lucky.

"The best I can describe it, he is confused and searching right now, and I will support him in whatever decision he makes. I don't know what people said on here the last couple days, but something upset him and eventually blew up into some turbulence in our home. Maybe we have been too agreeable, but we want to be supportive and respect the decision that he made. I'm a parent, that's my job."

At 15, he's also a teenager which is fraught with issues anyway. Seems to me, you're being a great dad and while you will stumble along this journey, your unconditional love for your son will win the day for both of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seth,

This is slightly off topic, but here’s my take on some of the current attitudes toward transgender people in our society. I’ve had close gay and lesbian friends since I was a teenager. Working in the DOD world in the 80s, two coworkers had to hide their orientation or be denied security clearances. A gay friend couldn’t take his partner to our 5th high school reunion, so I took his partner as my date (but sadly, they couldn’t dance together). Fast forward to today. Last year, a lesbian friend was finally able to marry her partner of 25 years. A friend’s transgender teen was able to attend the senior prom with their (the pronoun this teen prefers) transgender date without any issues. Attitudes are constantly evolving, and I believe it helps to have the conversation out in the open. It also helps when those of us who are not LGBT refuse to remain silent in the face of bias toward, or harassment of, LGBT people.

Your son is truly fortunate to have parents who have been willing to step outside their comfort zones to support him while he sorts out his identity. In the end, he’ll be fine, especially once he learns that for every nasty person there are a hundred others who will smile and welcome him.

Michelle

The best I can describe it, he is confused and searching right now, and I will support him in whatever decision he makes. I don't know what people said on here the last couple days, but something upset him and eventually blew up into some turbulence in our home.

Maybe we have been too agreeable, but we want to be supportive and respect the decision that he made. I'm a parent, that's my job. Maybe it's how someone here put it, that you can't buy alcohol or vote at 15. We made an agreement to wait until he's 18 before making any drastic decisions as far as surgery and therapies because of a couple intolerant voices. He's also started watching someone named Blair White on the internet that's causing some doubt, and claiming there's some hormone test.

Great information, Seth. How is this working out for you on your transatlantic cruise?

This in the U.K. News this morning

https://www.indy100.com/article/over-half-of-britons-unaware-theyre-using-gender-neutral-toilets-at-home-8348611

Interesting, if the numbers suggested in the U.K. are reflected on a Cruuse Ship, gender neutral facilities would help far more than 1 or 2 people suggested elsewhere on this thread

DYKWIA - Thanks for the reply, and interesting article. I'm sure there are more than one or two people on any cruise that would appreciate more gender neutral restrooms as you said. I think most people that feel the way my son does (and others) probably keep it hidden as much as possible to avoid potential problems and stares from the public.

As for my account here, I didn't mean to leave this thread open for my son to see, it was a mistake on my part. But he's okay now.

Great information, Seth. How is this working out for you on your transatlantic cruise?

As far as my son, it feels like really bad timing with how everything went down before we left. My parents are coming along, but they're not as understanding and not who he needs to confide in right now. We did have a long talk and agreed to give him some time to sort things out. We're parents so of course we're going to worry, but he can always reach us on social media.

Carnival is a bit of an older crowd, but I'm told that has more to do with the itinerary. Overall I would say that Princess seems like a more upscale cruise line. The food may be better on Carnival, but that's not a fair comparison. I had gone Vegan for awhile, but it didn't stick. Definitely easier to cruise without the limited diet. Now we'll see how all these sea days pan out...

Thanks again for all your touching comments and shared stories. Now that we're settled on our cruise, I hope to be more active on this site.

The strangest toilet facility I have every seen, and I forget where was two doors on the one wall. The left one was gentlemen and the right ladies. When you got through the appropriate door you were in the same large room with an all cubicle arrangement.

Incidentally if you Google images for "Dobbies Garden Centre Toilets" you will see a very strange arrangement in the toilet technology area.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I wish nothing but the best for the OP's son and I hope he finds a way to be comfortable but I'm still confused. Why is this a bigger problem on a cruise ship than on land? I do not understand why he should be any more or less comfortable on a ship than on land.

The French seem to have a reasonable take on toilet facilities, except for their pissoirs. I recall going to Paris in the 1960's and a public toilet we visited was for both men and women. I assume anyone could therefore use the facility. There were no urinals just cubicals, decent ones at that with proper floor to ceiling thick walls. The only strange thing about them was the light went on in the cubicle when you entered and the door had a full length frosted reed style glass panel so you saw an image of the occupant in dissected vertical sections. This aspect was well over the top but definitely a French concept.

Realistically on ships they could have a good number of general public area toilets available to all comers as well as the standard men or women as they now have.

Regards John

I was not crazy about their public facilities. We went about 15 years ago and used facilities outside Notre Dame. The facilities were unisex and we had to wait outside the outdoor porta potty type units.The funny part was you had to pay for what you were doing. After you were done the unit cleaned itself.

I was not crazy about their public facilities. We went about 15 years ago and used facilities outside Notre Dame. The facilities were unisex and we had to wait outside the outdoor porta potty type units.The funny part was you had to pay for what you were doing. After you were done the unit cleaned itself.

These have also been all over Central London for many years.

As long as they have pvt cubicles and toilet seats...all okay.

Shocked in Europe to see toilets without...just little ledges.

No toilet seat, bottom on porcelain - probably vandalism. Crouch toilets - seen those in Asia mainly, less so these days. Or wall dividing cubicles low? I remember my father telling me of those in Italy in the 60s.

No toilet seat, bottom on porcelain - probably vandalism. Crouch toilets - seen those in Asia mainly, less so these days. Or wall dividing cubicles low? I remember my father telling me of those in Italy in the 60s.

I've see them but the ones I described were the only ones where I paid a different price for doing

#1 or #2.

I've see them but the ones I described were the only ones where I paid a different price for doing

#1 or #2.

Always remember being in Spain in 1975(school trip)we used the bathroom near the "Valley of the Fallen". Two things were really notable: There was NO toilet. A hole in the porcelain floor is where you went(1 or 2)No dividers. Talk about no privacy. The other notable thing was the fact the sink's water supply came from pipes sticking out of the rock. Yes, the water drained into the sinks..sinks full of big fat leeches!

No...this was the style we encountered in restaurants etc in Italy and France,..not all stops but frequenty on cruise excursions, The bowl had a sort of extended rim for sitting,,,was awkward but that's what they had.

As long as there is privacy and cleanliness, gender of other users not an issue for us.