Does Celebrity plan to have Transgender Bathrooms?

Seth Jessop

Either put up family or gender neutral bathrooms which can serve another purpose other than dealing with the one or two transgender people on board. It was sometime difficult as a father when my daughter was very young taking her into a bathroom. I'm talking less than five or so when they might need help. Same with the wife with our son. Happened in movies, malls, just about any public place. You still will need the larger bathrooms with mens and women's designations because they get crowded when for example the theater lets out or dinner lets out. As I stated earlier they can put up 10 urinals to only a few booths.

OK, enough.

Den

Thanks Den and Cruise Junky. Appreciate your support here.

Am assured people with Celeb and RCCL are reading the transcripts here so hopefully we will see some message of solidarity and support.

Either put up family or gender neutral bathrooms which can serve another purpose other than dealing with the one or two transgender people on board. It was sometime difficult as a father when my daughter was very young taking her into a bathroom. I'm talking less than five or so when they might need help. Same with the wife with our son. Happened in movies, malls, just about any public place. You still will need the larger bathrooms with mens and women's designations because they get crowded when for example the theater lets out or dinner lets out. As I stated earlier they can put up 10 urinals to only a few booths.
I wish I remembered where I read it, but there have been studies that one large neutral bathroom is the most efficient at handling large crowds. Splitting the space into men's and women's is a very inefficient use of the space.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Den and Cruise Junky. Appreciate your support here.

Am assured people with Celeb and RCCL are reading the transcripts here so hopefully we will see some message of solidarity and support.

No problem. Appreaciate you recognizing us, but until just recently, there has been a ton of supportive posts from all. Love the community we have on cruise ships. The problem with these threads is people think they can post anything because it’s all annoymous. Or, to give people a break and maybe some room when we disagree, typed words dont carry the feeling we mean to convey and each of us can misunderstand what the poster is meaning.

Sometimes we look for disagreements, but then in most cases, it is disagreeable and says exactly what they mean to convey, but of course would never say in person.

Fly Navy!!

Den

I wish I remembered where I read it, but there have been studies that one large neutral bathroom is the most efficient at handling large crowds. Splitting the space into men's and women's is a very inefficient use of the space.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My favorite bathroom story is about the Milan train station. I was heading to Naples to join a ship (unfortunately, not a Celebrity or anything like it) and switched trains in Milan. Headed into the bathroom and there was a door for men and one for women. Walked through the men’s door just in time to meet the elderly Italian woman coming into the same bathroom accommodation using the woman’s door.

Both doors were for the same facility.

I think the Italians set it up to make us Americans feel better that there were different facilities when there wasn’t.

I just nodded and headed to a stall.

Den

I work at an NHS (National Health Service) HIV clinic here in the UK.

We have patients representing all possible ages, gender identities, sexualities, ethnicities, religions and shoe sizes.

How many incidents or complaints? None.

First, I have to commend the OP for asking the question. It isn't an easy question to ask. I also applaud you for being so supportive for your son. It truly brings a smile to my face.

I am with many others in that I don't know why we don't have gender neutral bathrooms all over (seriously, why are single stalls labeled??). There are many bars that have gender neutral bathrooms - every person uses the same multistall bathroom. Guess what? It works. If a guy sees me reapplying my lipstick. Okay, he sees me reapplying my lipstick - if he chooses to date me, he will likely see it anyway.

I wish I had a better answer to your question - I do recall a few single stall bathrooms at various places around the ship, but most are, unfortunately, gender assigned. Either way, I wish your whole family all the best as you navigate this. To this stranger, it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.

I thank everyone who fought in World War Two for their service and sacrifice. Everyone, regardless of their country of origin gave their all to stop the march of fascism - including members of my own family.

There are two ways I can now move on with this post.

A) this has nothing to do with World War Two. That’s happened 70 years ago. We’ve talking about issues arisen in recent history that are affecting a minority group of our populations. We shouldn’t be looking the past we should be looking to the future.

B) The people that fought in World War Two, including members of my family, fighting against the forces of fascism. They were fighting so that people could be free to live lives they wish to. They fought so that people would not be judged on genetic characteristics alone (eugenics).

Now we have looked back is is time to move on. It is 2018. We have come to understand that gender is not binary, sexuality is not binary. Life is a wonderful and beautiful but complicated mess. Can we not spend less time fighting and more time trying to make things better for everyone?

Thanks for getting us back on track, TheGinBoy. On cruises, I’ve noticed people are more relaxed and open then back home where they feel someone is judging their actions or what they say. Those that haven’t met someone of another orientation, especially transgender, tend to be more open and themselves instead of thinking they have to meet some social norm set by others, especially those that tend to spend a lot of time judging.

And at the same time, those that find themselves in a minority group, may relax more and not be on the defense, watching what they say or do.

When we are away from ‘home’ we want to try things and in many cases are more open. That’s why so many of us enjoy cruising. It’s a easy way of getting away. Different environement, different community, different foods and different schedule (including a nice bar up one set of stairs!).

Most who love cruising love these changes and love experiencing and being part of ‘differences’.

Now isn’t that profound!

Den

Thanks for getting us back on track, TheGinBoy.

Hey, that’s my job as a facilitator and TV presenter.

I understand we all have differing views, and that’s fine - but when when it impinges on the freedoms and rights of others that’s when things change.

Hey, that’s my job as a facilitator and TV presenter.

I understand we all have differing views, and that’s fine - but when when it impinges on the freedoms and rights of others that’s when things change.

OK, I’m going to take us off subject - which Gin? I love Sapphire, but haven’t really tried special gins. I recently been trying Irish Whiskeys, a fine The Quiet Man bottle, and Tullamore DEW!

That’s what is neat about sharing with new people and new experiences.

Back On:

Transgender story for you: After my service time, I worked as a consultant to the DoD. A fellow manager, Govt Service and a Lt Col in the AF Reserves, came out. He became Shirley and started a new life. After a few years, she came to my religous fellowship. When she saw me, I could see she almost froze. We talked and enjoyed a few stories and started a new relationship. It was an experience for me, and for Shirley. I stepped out of my ‘norm’ and so did she.

We both learned. And before you give me too many ‘attaboys’, I’ve done some dumb things also, but learning.

Den

OK, I’m going to take us off subject - which Gin? I love Sapphire, but haven’t really tried special gins.

Before you give me too many ‘attaboys’, I’ve done some dumb things also, but learning.

My favourite gin is Gin Mare it’s a Spanish gin made with Rosemary and Basil. It’s a more savoury gin, traditionally served with rosemary and tonic. Delicious.

And who among us haven’t made dumb decisions in our time? It’s part of human nature. It’s how we learn from those decisions that defines us.

My favourite gin is Gin Mare it’s a Spanish gin made with Rosemary and Basil. It’s a more savoury gin, traditionally served with rosemary and tonic. Delicious.

And who among us haven’t made dumb decisions in our time? It’s part of human nature. It’s how we learn from those decisions that defines us.

Yum. Chateau Whistler does a grapefruit & cardamom infused gin, it’s yummy.

Wonderful posts The Gin Boy

Indeed they are. I'm delighted to hear that Gin Boy's profession is related to the media. He is the voice we need more of - Eloquent, honest, and able to explain his opinion without resorting to insulting those who think differently.

I am sad that the OP of this thread has had to read some ugly remarks from some seriously ugly people. I'm sure it is not the first or last time you, your child, and your family will have to cringe when hearing this rubbish. I wish it were different. I'm confident that it will improve, and I personally wish you and all your family 'safe and smooth passage.'

(I'll follow Gin Boy's good example and keep quiet about what I wish for some of those aforementioned"ugly people.")

A lot of the new or remodeled restaurants coming up around me here in Arizona are all going towards gender neutral bathrooms.

Individual stalls with either a common hand washing area or hand washing stations in the individual stalls.

No one is trying to treat the kid as though he has a 'handicap'. In fact, the preferred term for restrooms for the disabled or differently abled is 'accessible.' They are labeled that way so that people know they can accommodate a wheelchair or walker, the toilets are high rise, the sinks are within comfortable reach, the doors are wide, no steps and it's fine to bring in an assistant. Why is it an insult to used an accessible restroom?

I'm not sure why Celebrity would label the single bathrooms and ladies or gentlemen, but I see no reason why anyone, including the child, couldn't use either. Perhaps they would change the signs if it it brought to their attention to just 'Restroom.'

Nice post Marelaine. Agree there isn’t any ‘transgender’ bathrooms, just ones with both woman/man symbols on them, handy for all of us, and to take a child or baby for changing and so on. And to the poster who says what ‘all you folks’ would be saying. This isn’t ‘ethinic’ or restrictive, or treating someone as if they are disadvantaged. This entire thread is about being more open and allowing more flexibility. Something I want my grandchildren to see, experience and learn. And this would make them stronger.

Being 72 and at the age of shall we say ‘suddenly’ needing a bathroom, I’d love to have more neutral bathrooms! If would lower the number of us frantically trying to remember which side the specific bathroom is on.

OP, hope you and your family enjoy the cruise. I think the cruise environment will be great.

Den

My husband was once in a men's room at a concert at the urinal next to Bill Walton. They chit chatted about basketball, and now he proudly tells everyone "I pee'd next to Bill Walton!". :')

You would not want to have pee'd next to Glen Miller and his orchestra, well the trumpet players that is.

Regards John

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a "Transgender Bathroom" - it's a simple and uncomplicated idea called a Gender Neutral Bathroom. A facility that anyone of any sex or sexual orientation can use without explanation - i've never seen a rule that only Transgender people can use them. So this is nothing to do with providing exclusive facilities for a very small number of people. I can imagine a number of scenarios where non transgender people might want to make use of gender neutral facilities. In some small premises I have seen a disabled toilet adapted so it can also work as a gender neutral toilet, if required.

We have three bathrooms gender neutral bathrooms in our home. In fact I suspect most people use one in their own home daily.

thank you, why can't some people seem to grasp this simple concept.

Nice post Marelaine. Agree there isn’t any ‘transgender’ bathrooms, just ones with both woman/man symbols on them, handy for all of us, and to take a child or baby for changing and so on. And to the poster who says what ‘all you folks’ would be saying. This isn’t ‘ethinic’ or restrictive, or treating someone as if they are disadvantaged. This entire thread is about being more open and allowing more flexibility. Something I want my grandchildren to see, experience and learn. And this would make them stronger.

Being 72 and at the age of shall we say ‘suddenly’ needing a bathroom, I’d love to have more neutral bathrooms! If would lower the number of us frantically trying to remember which side the specific bathroom is on.

OP, hope you and your family enjoy the cruise. I think the cruise environment will be great.

Den

Thanks Den, couldn't have said it better myself.

I love this thread and hope it doesn't get deleted or edited. It's good to get our ideas out in the open and discuss attitudes and solutions. I like the question, "How can we be inclusive."

My brother is gay. Out of 20+ cousins, 5 are openly gay. My parents, in their 80s, have accepted my brother as he is and have welcomed his partners through the decades. Brother came out in the 70s, not an easy thing to do back then. One recent day, mom asked me why did I think there were so many gay people in our family. I told her we were about average in the number of gay people, but way above average in acceptance. She felt really proud of her family for accepting their loved one's humanness.

I admit, as a woman, I might feel a little uncomfortable walking past a row of urinals on my way to the stalls. But, if that is what it takes to make a basic human need more accessible to all, I will get over it. Or maybe we could go all stalls? Or maybe the people who are uncomfortable sharing could use the one seaters?

I can’t tell you how relieved I am to return to this thread nearly a day later and see the responses have remained both civil and compassionate.

Thank you for restoring my faith in our little cruising community. :)

I can’t tell you how relieved I am to return to this thread nearly a day later and see the responses have remained both civil and compassionate.

Thank you for restoring my faith in our little cruising community. :)

We're all in the same boat, right?

GinBoy, I think you bring out the best in us <3