Cadbury World in Dunedin to close

The very popular Cadbury World in Dunedin is going to close .

Mondeliz , who own Cadburys , closed the factory last year and intended to keep Cadbury World and the associated shop open , but the entire site has now been sold and will become the new Dunedin Hospital . It has been a favorite and very popular call for cruise ship passengers over the years. Locals are pleased , in that they will benefit from a brand new health facility in a very central city position .

Cadbury World to close

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12045220

Mondeliz , who own Cadburys , closed the factory last year and intended to keep Cadbury World and the associated shop open , but the entire site has now been sold and will become the new Dunedin Hospital . It has been a favorite and very popular call for cruise ship passengers over the years. Locals are pleased , in that they will benefit from a brand new health facility in a very central city position .

Cadbury World to close

Progress I guess.

The new hospital should be a plus though

Cadbury World to close

David i came across this on FB https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/approval-given-cadbury-world-redevelopment

At least it wasn't for a bad reason like the safety record at the Nestle' factory. A worker there was crushed by a pallet load of chocolate bars and no one came to help him when he was calling out as they just thought he was a happy generous guy. Apparently he just kept yelling out that the Milky bars were on him.

Oh I visited there over ten years ago!

I actually live five minutes from the Cadbury factory here in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, it's not open to the public like the Dunedin one was, but I have access to the staff shop as an emergency services worker. I only went once, the stuff is so cheap it may as well be free. But you know what happens when you have a cupboard full of chocolate in your house .. you eat it. I'll never go again. I still feel sick.

Oh I visited there over ten years ago!

I actually live five minutes from the Cadbury factory here in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, it's not open to the public like the Dunedin one was, but I have access to the staff shop as an emergency services worker. I only went once, the stuff is so cheap it may as well be free. But you know what happens when you have a cupboard full of chocolate in your house .. you eat it. I'll never go again. I still feel sick.

I certainly enjoyed my visits there, as for too much chocolate in the cupboard, never had that issue.:D

As a Chocoholic, Tragic news.:evilsmile::loudcry::eek: Was always worth a visit. No doubt Cadbury wanted the money for the site. Are they going off shore now? Already in NZ and Tasweiga, next stop Vietnam or Taiwan.

My wife visited the factory on our cruise last year and bought heaps of the Caramac bars of chocolate. Once on board she worried if customs at Sydney would let her take it ashore. Don't know why she worried, I eat the lot before we got there.:D

As a Chocoholic, Tragic news.:evilsmile::loudcry::eek: Was always worth a visit. No doubt Cadbury wanted the money for the site. Are they going off shore now? Already in NZ and Tasweiga, next stop Vietnam or Taiwan.

Or just go straight to China, a la Nestle.

Oh how sad! I was just there in March and when the guide was telling us about the factory closing one of the questions asked was about jobs, and in her answer she said something along the lines of “luckily I’m part of Cadbury World so I’m okay.” Poor guide!

Good to get a hospital though for the community.

What other sites of interest are there to visit now in Dunedin now aside from visiting the train station? (the cruise crew just recommended the chocolate factory so that’s all we knew to do there!)

Oh how sad! I was just there in March and when the guide was telling us about the factory closing one of the questions asked was about jobs, and in her answer she said something along the lines of “luckily I’m part of Cadbury World so I’m okay.” Poor guide!

Good to get a hospital though for the community.

What other sites of interest are there to visit now in Dunedin now aside from visiting the train station? (the cruise crew just recommended the chocolate factory so that’s all we knew to do there!)

I can highly recommend the Speights brewery tour with Pub lunch.