Carnival Dream Flooded

MikeMA

There's a difference between copyright and credit. When someone posts something publicly, the general assumption is it can be used for non-commercial means - i.e. posting it on here is fine, but not selling the snaps to a new organization.

However, when you post something from someone elses work you should ALWAYS credit the original source.

Example: Screencaps taken from a video posted on facebook by John Smith in the Friendly Carnival Cruisers group on May 3. Include a link to original post where possible. Otherwise the legal implication is you are claiming ownership of the work and that's problematic.

How did this thread become about this? Talk about hijacking... really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to wonder what makes Carnival posters so testy. Wow. Crabby bunch who argue about nothing... where’s the FUN SHIP in that? Just an outsider looking in...

I have to wonder what makes Carnival posters so testy. Wow. Crabby bunch who argue about nothing... where’s the FUN SHIP in that? Just an outsider looking in...

As an outsider looking in, I take it you follow other cruise line threads. I also read other boards, and I can say with complete confidence that it is actually worse on other boards.

... You're correct that fair use is a legal term, but fair use must be approved by a lawyer. ...

Lawyers have opinions. A company employee may have to seek approval from a company lawyer but in general lawyers are not empowered to make decisions for the general public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

But fair use probably doesn't apply in this case. My understanding is the photographer asked others to share the pictures. Seems to me that constitutes a grant of license.

This story appeared today on the local TV news for Long Island ,NY.

The affected passengers have been given a full refund of their cruise fare according to that report.

Since I heard the story today on the news, I looked for a thread about it on CC.

Sure enough, there are 11pages of posts about the flooding situation.

The news just reported full refund plus 50% off a future cruise of their choice.

Fair use does not give you the right to indiscriminately use someone else's photos and videos even though they are posted on a public site.

So what you’re saying is, every time some hits the quote button (like I just did) and reposts text or a photo, we’re supposed to consult with a lawyer? :rolleyes:

This story appeared today on the local TV news for Long Island ,NY.

The affected passengers have been given a full refund of their cruise fare according to that report.

Since I heard the story today on the news, I looked for a thread about it on CC.

Sure enough, there are 11pages of posts about the flooding situation.

There are maybe 2 pages about the flooding situation. The rest are a muddle of copyright infringement, legalese mumbo jumbo and a smattering of people arguing mainly for the sake of arguing. Just your typical Cruise Critic thread. It has been somewhat amusing. 🤪

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Go back and read what your are quoting, you'll find that "there's" was properly used, removing the apostrphe it reads "there is always someone....". So what's the grammatical blunder in the use of that contraction?

Thanks for playing...

Why is it all the conspiracy hacks can't get they're heads around "their, there, & they're?"

Their are times I don't think there even trying.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I can totally relate to what you're saying, and I agree. This is probably symptomatic of what's wrong with the world of social media. Sad, but it is what it is. 😕

I agree. We need to change the subject to politics and get a real discussion going!

The news just reported full refund plus 50% off a future cruise of their choice.

What a deal. Free cruise + 50% off for getting a little bit wet. No need to spend money and play Bingo. Those passengers hit the jackpot.

Just to clarify, photos/videos are automatically copyrighted the moment you snap the shot or record the video. So yes, the photos/videos are copyrighted, regardless of what that person wants to happen with them.

This is true. I won damage$ when a photo with my copyright was posted to Facebook and a person took it and posted it to a for profit web site without my permission. The misinterpretation of copyright as it applies to social media is common, and if you have any questions about it, speak to an ATTORNEY who specializes in copyright and intellectual property law,

What a deal. Free cruise + 50% off for getting a little bit wet. No need to spend money and play Bingo. Those passengers hit the jackpot.

In many cases clothing, electronics, and luggage could have been damaged or destroyed, so I'm not sure they hit the jackpot.

A "deal" and "hit the jackpot" you say? Really? Depending on what got wet in the rooms, the damage could have been thousands of dollars worth, maybe even irreplaceable sentimental items, not to mention the remainder of the cruise and your journey home are ruined. Not much of a deal to me. And 50% off a future cruise? You think those passengers are going to pay Carnival MORE money on a second cruise? That's nuts.

I was on the Dream when the backup generator broke and we were stranded in St. Maarten (worst punishment ever :)

Carnival gave us a full refund on our cruise and 50% off the next cruise.

Carnival applied to the Department of Homeland Security and got permission for us to fly from St. Maarten to Orlando without a Passport (Someone said a passport would be required to fly home)

Everyone on Carnival was awesome about the whole process.

A "deal" and "hit the jackpot" you say? Really? Depending on what got wet in the rooms, the damage could have been thousands of dollars worth, maybe even irreplaceable sentimental items, not to mention the remainder of the cruise and your journey home are ruined. Not much of a deal to me. And 50% off a future cruise? You think those passengers are going to pay Carnival MORE money on a second cruise? That's nuts.

I guess I missed it. How was their journey home ruined? Did the ship get in late or something?

There’s is nothing specifically mentioned in anything that Carnival has published.

However, I’m sure if you showed the Hotel Manager/Cruise Director/Captain any damages to your personal property the company would have compensated you for your loss.

It wasn’t blanket compensation so it probably wasn’t included in the press release.