Safe to wear jewelry/diamonds?

amscene1

Going on the getaway on a western Caribbean cruise to HC, Roatan, Cozumel and costa maya.

Is it safe to wear jewelry, specifically my wife’s wedding/ EGMT ring in these ports or should we leave in safe?

What do you do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wear mine all the time. My finger is sculpted to the wear of the accoutrement. I wear my watch all the time too. And my stud earrings. But I wear this stuff every day all day long. A cruise ship does not change my habits on these foundations.

It's probably safe, as long as you aren't going to out-of-the-way or sketchy areas, but I do leave my wedding set in the cabin safe, just in case. We also often do water activities, so that's another reason to leave it on the ship.

I just don't like wearing expensive jewelry or purses, etc. into ports, especially in poor countries.

IMO the biggest concern is not theft, but that you might lose jewelry while in the water.

One person did lose one diamond stud in Belize while snorkeling. I was bummed for her, she took it in stride, but her set was about one carat each ear.

May be a good idea to leave those in the cabin safe....

Going on the getaway on a western Caribbean cruise to HC, Roatan, Cozumel and costa maya.

Is it safe to wear jewelry, specifically my wife’s wedding/ EGMT ring in these ports or should we leave in safe?

What do you do

I am likely in the minority because I have never owned any jewelry other than a watch (Timex)

I wear a plain wedding band on beach type cruise vacations. My wedding ring / engagement ring are platinum and I don’t want them scratched in the sand or while swimming. I also hate getting suntan lotion in between the prongs of the stones.

As for safety- I have worn my rings ashore for shopping adventures on occasion and simply turn the ring around so the stones don’t show if we end up somewhere sketchy as we did in Roatan.

I never wear anything but a watch if we are doing any water sports , beach day , etc.

If you are worried about theft, necklaces are a much easier target. Snatch and go.

If you are worried that your jewelry will mark you as someone of means, lock it up before you leave the ship or just leave it home in your safe or safer deposit box .

My ring is a bit loose so I bought a cheap costume jewelry ring that I wear on vacation. I feel better knowing it won’t matter if I lose it.

Me, too- I have a plain band and some fun , sparkly rings if I want to dress up!

Even though my “regular “ rings are insured, I would be very sad to lose them.

My ring is a bit loose so I bought a cheap costume jewelry ring that I wear on vacation. I feel better knowing it won’t matter if I lose it.

I have my CZ ring that I wear as my wedding ring when I travel. I never take my real ring. It is not worth the risk to lose it. Oh, and I bought the ring on the Star in 2011. 😍

I have a “travel ring” as well, a plain band. My wedding set is a custom-designed beauty that I would be devastated to lose. I dislike washing my hands with it on and I’d be terrified that I’d absent-mindedly set it down in a bathroom and leave it, particularly after a couple of cocktails. If my cheapie travel ring gets lost it’s NBD. I’ve tried traveling bare-handed and that’s even more paranoia-inducing - I would have momentary flashes of panic until I remembered that the ring was safe at home. For me personally, the travel ring has brought me the most peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I travel all over the world, I don’t wear any jewelry when traveling outside US so in Port I leave my watch and ring in safe. I don’t need $10k+ in enticements on my body whether it’s Mexico or Europe and I may not be 100% confident in my surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only leave on my diamond earrings, as my hair covers them most of the time. My diamond wedding band and engagement rings are left at home. I wear a ring with my birthstone (aquamarine) and small cubic zirconia as my wedding band when traveling. I wear a cheap watch. Why make myself a target?

That is a little bit different question. It is kind of stupid to wear expensive earrings snorkeling. Its quite a different thing than having a ring on your finger.

Stupid? You can wear a scarf in the winter and have your studs come free small or large. :rolleyes:

I don't have really expensive jewelry, but it is worth a lot of money by my standards. I just don't travel with anything but costume jewelry earrings, and I don't have "replacements" for my wedding rings.

BTW, I lost my original wedding band at the dog park :( and spent some years without another one at all (the company who made it doesn't have that style anymore, and I loved it). I recently broke down and got a new one ... I'm hanging on to it tightly!!

Do you wear them when you venture outside your house at home? Seriously, tourists are not getting robbed, pillaged, and plundered at every turn. Be smart about it, like anyone would anywhere.

What do you do

It really depends on how OK you are with wearing it in ports. Some people are OK with it and some are not.

It is not like every tourist gets robbed because they wore jewelry. But just don't attract too much attention flashing it around. Go with your gut and with what you feel comfortable with.