Repositioning Cruises FROM the States

babs135

I know you can find great offers on these cruises (we've done one and the price was silly!) and I know when they repo from the UK, but I'm not sure when they sail TO the UK.

Dates would be helpful and would it make any difference pricewise if we chose one of the first cruises or one of the last?

Thanks in advance

I know you can find great offers on these cruises (we've done one and the price was silly!) and I know when they repo from the UK, but I'm not sure when they sail TO the UK.

Dates would be helpful and would it make any difference pricewise if we chose one of the first cruises or one of the last?

Thanks in advance

A large majority of the repostioning cruises from the USA to Europe (including the UK) depart US Ports from late March through May. This comes about because the cruise lines are moving many of their ships to Europe for the spring/summer/fall cruise season. In the late fall these ships are then repositioned back to the Caribbean (or elsewhere).

As to what dates to purchase a cruise, this is simply your personal preference. However, when we do repo cruises we will often take into consideration the weather estimates for that time of year. For example, a March repo cruise from Florida to Amsterdam might be expected to have some chilly weather. But take that same itinerary in May and the weather should be somewhat warmer.

Several years ago many of the repo cruises were amazing bargains. But it seems that lots of cruisers have now discovered the joy of repo cruises (and all their lazy sea days) so the bargains are not quite as they were.

Hank

Thanks in advance

Lines typically sail from the US to Europe Between mid April and mid May.

You can check the cruise line websites or any travel agent online. As stated, usually in the spring to Europe.

We have done three from Florida and loved every one. The bargains are not nearly as good as a few years ago because more people have discovered them, but you can still get a good deal.

Here a few ideas for those contemplating repo cruises. Unless you find another cruise coming back the other way (the Queen Mary 2 is one option) you will need one-way air. Consider buying a round trip air ticket and using 1/2 for a repo cruise going one way...and the other half of the air you use for a 2nd repo cruise going the other way. We have done this a few times :).

Another interesting option, when it comes to air, is that if you use Aer Lingus to get to or from Europe you can get a free stopover (for over a week if you desire) in Ireland. And there is a similar rule with Icelandic Airlines that lets you spend some time in Iceland.

Hank

Thanks for the replies I agree that as more people discover the idea of a repo cruise prices will rise but there are still deals to be had

Last November Royal Caribbean were offering a repo (can't remember which ship) Southampton to Florida via Boston and New York for the ridiculous price of approximately £600pp !!! Inclusive of flight back to the UK. Sadly we were unable to take advantage of such an amazing offer.:mad:

Here a few ideas for those contemplating repo cruises. Unless you find another cruise coming back the other way (the Queen Mary 2 is one option) you will need one-way air. Consider buying a round trip air ticket and using 1/2 for a repo cruise going one way...and the other half of the air you use for a 2nd repo cruise going the other way. We have done this a few times :).

Another interesting option, when it comes to air, is that if you use Aer Lingus to get to or from Europe you can get a free stopover (for over a week if you desire) in Ireland. And there is a similar rule with Icelandic Airlines that lets you spend some time in Iceland.

Hank

The RT air trick is especially useful if you are booking a legacy carrier but has become much less valuable as other carriers, Icelandic, Norwegian, etc, have entered the marketplace. They book flights as 2 halves and so do not penalize the one way traveler as the legacies do. Next month I am using Norwegian OAK to LGW but returning on Icelandic so I can spend 3 nights in Iceland just as you point out.

Found one! Fantastic no-fly itinerary! Fantastic price....BUT the dates don't fit us by just two immovable weeks :mad::loudcry:

A co.uk travel agent is offering in April Southampton to New York on the QM2, train to Miami for a four night stay, then board Navigator of the Seas for 7 night cruise, back to Miami for another night in a hotel before boarding (the repo ship) Independence of the Seas for a 14 nights cruise back to the UK.

Ah well, guess you can't win them all :D

Found one! Fantastic no-fly itinerary! Fantastic price....BUT the dates don't fit us by just two immovable weeks :mad::loudcry:

A co.uk travel agent is offering in April Southampton to New York on the QM2, train to Miami for a four night stay, then board Navigator of the Seas for 7 night cruise, back to Miami for another night in a hotel before boarding (the repo ship) Independence of the Seas for a 14 nights cruise back to the UK.

Ah well, guess you can't win them all :D

Don't feel too bad... the train ride from NY to Miami would be miserably long, unless you booked a sleeper car.:)