Sending Out Laundry on the Crown Princess

teacher1977

We will be in a full suite on the Crown Princess this fall for a 25 day transatlantic cruise. One of the "perks" is free laundry. We have never sent laundry out (have used the laundry room machines) and am wondering if our clothing will be ruined if we take advantage of this service. Any recommendations or suggestions from those who have used this service. It sure would make our packing much easier!

I read all the awful reports before our first suite experience on the Caribbean Princess...then I took a deep breath and sent our "normal" clothes. Everything was fine. I did a load of delicates, lycra containing garments, and stuff that shouldn't be washed in hot water, but sent everything else.

Assume that everything will be washed and dried at super-hot temperatures. And don't send out any article that you don't wish that done to. On a different cruise line (that lacks passenger launderettes) I sent out a pair of khakis and a short sleeve dress shirt to wear on the plane home. The khakis completely fell apart at the seams when I put them on--good thing I tried them on the night before and my luggage hadn't been picked up from the hall yet.

Anything you don’t want dried in a commercial dryer, use the right hand “cleaning” column. My polo shirts come out looking uh-may-zing. I actually think their pressing and finishing is somewhat better than most local land-based dry cleaners. You can also write in a note to have your dress shirts returned folded rather than on a hanger for travel.

If you have some clothes that need to be in cold I would do them myself otherwise you should be ok. Even if you check the "cleaning" column it can be risky - one cruise I had 2 sweater type shirts come back very small. Princess did reimburse me for the cost of the shirts without proof of purchase. Good for them

I've never had a problem. A good thing about being in a suite is that you're supposed to get same-day service. So on cruises when there are a lot of Elites getting their free laundry perk, yours won't be held up for days like theirs will be. When we were in a suite on the Royal, it ended up being next-day service instead of same-day because our cabin steward never picked it up in time. But that was better than the three and four days nonsuite passengers told us they were getting.

I've had a couple of silk dresses shrink (lining was longer than the dress) I showed it to the cabin steward & he took them back & they came back OK. I have sent out white socks with a black item & they were apparently washed together because socks came back grey. Get some Shout color catchers & pin them into the inside of one of the garments if you have more than one washed.

I can’t explain why this happens. Make sure you check your clothes for little tiny holes. It has happened to our clothes more then once. :mad:

Tony

I have read posts where people say those little holes are caused by crew using big safety pins to keep your stuff together. No idea if it's correct or not but it makes a certain amount of sense.

I have read posts where people say those little holes are caused by crew using big safety pins to keep your stuff together. No idea if it's correct or not but it makes a certain amount of sense.

It is likely the holes are from the metal in the drums of the washer. Or gremlins. Most likely one or the other.

We just got off the Crown Princess as full suite guests. Our laundry was perfect. Even iron-only was great. My only issue is: It’s not really “same day”. You are supposed to set laundry out by 9am and it comes back at 6pm same day. Not true. Sometimes it was almost 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Greeting! We hope that you enjoy the "Suite Life"! As for laundry service, we have been fortunate enough 4 times to have had the opportunity to enjoy the Suite Life and of course we utilized the Free Laundry Service. ;) That is except for what the wife refers to as unmentionables and hosiery. :o Never had any issues.

Fair Winds and Following Seas! :whiskey-glass:

Just Mike

Greeting! We hope that you enjoy the "Suite Life"! As for laundry service, we have been fortunate enough 4 times to have had the opportunity to enjoy the Suite Life and of course we utilized the Free Laundry Service. ;) That is except for what the wife refers to as unmentionables and hosiery. :o Never had any issues.

Fair Winds and Following Seas! :whiskey-glass:

Just Mike

I've often wondered how may ladies actually send their small clothes to the laundry. I would think that many wouldn't like to do that. Not surprised to find that Miss Betty doesn't. She seems like a more private and classy lady than that. Of course there is her husband to consider... ;p

The curve illustrating the likelihood of ladies sending out their smalls is probably an inverse parabola of a function of the smallness: the tinier or the larger, the less likely.

I have to admit, despite having laundry service, I don’t send out socks or underwear. I don’t want anyone in the laundry thinking they’ve been asked to prepare white flags of surrender.

The curve illustrating the likelihood of ladies sending out their smalls is probably an inverse parabola of a function of the smallness: the tinier or the larger, the less likely.

I have to admit, despite having laundry service, I don’t send out socks or underwear. I don’t want anyone in the laundry thinking they’ve been asked to prepare white flags of surrender.

My wife's grandmother used to live with her family. Lou (actually Lulu but she went by Lou) was kind of a "fireplug" of a woman. One day my wife's dad took a freshly laundered windbreaker to work but didn't wear it. When he got up to go to lunch he stuck his arm into the sleeve of the jacket and a quite large pair of ladies undies came flying out of the sleeve. He got a lot of ribbing from the other guys at work. :D