Carnival loses luggage and doesn't care!

Hi there

So it seems the bottom line is that the OP felt the "compensation" offered was insufficient.

The fact that there wasn't the ability to purchase what was needed was just chance due to the itinerary and a holiday. The OP in the headline said "Carnival loses luggage"...I'm sorry they didn't lose it, it showed up. Unless you think they purposely hid one piece of luggage so they could infuriate a first and last time cruiser of their line, they did all they could. This is not the first this has happened. Other passengers more than likely had the suitcase and did not turn it in.

Think if instead of the cruise line misplacing your suitcase it was the airline. You go and tell them you can't find one suitcase. They tell you, just hang around for a while it will probably show up soon. You then tell them "I have to get to my cruise". They tell you give us all your information, we'll find your suitcase and send it to the ship before it leaves. They even will give you a number that you can call them from the ship to find their progress. They tell you, even if the ship leaves we can send the luggage to your next port. Don't worry. Do you get the idea yet...this happened to me...not a suitcase, a wheelchair. So it never arrives, they have it at the airport when you return. They didn't lose it. It's just inconvenient as hell. Do you think the airline would have given you anything...not likely.

If there are out of pocket loses, it is a case for your insurance company. How much did the cruise company give for spending money? The ship stores would have allowed the replacement of many things before you were able to buy stuff ashore. Inconvenient, for sure, but this could have happened with any company.

One thing about compensation is that whatever is negotiated on board is generally all you will get. You can keep trying through corporate, or even John Heald, but don't hold your breath.

Yes the tags were in fact there and upon opening the suitcase it did not appear that anything had been moved or tampered with. It is possible somebody was being a jerk, I guess our main issue was the genuine apathy of their customer service. Everything obtained from them was a fight.

Now that your cruise is over, I know it's kind of pointless to ask this, but, by any chance, did you ask your cabin steward (or anyone in housekeeping) to be on the lookout for your missing luggage?

Now that your cruise is over, I know it's kind of pointless to ask this, but, by any chance, did you ask your cabin steward (or anyone in housekeeping) to be on the lookout for your missing luggage?

Oh yeah we would ask him every morning and night. I also walked every floor and every staircase looking for the bag. Our steward did seem very concerned over the matter.

I know this doesn't help now, but I would have invoked Carnival's guarantee in a heartbeat - get off at the 1st stop, they refund you and fly you back for free.

Having done 2 1/2 days without my suitcase in Scotland last fall due to Aer Lingus being inept in both losing my bag and their lame , hap hazard process to find it, I won't go thru that again.

Always buy travel insurance, always invoke your guarantees. Insurance will reimburse you even without receipts to prove every piece you bought - you just have to be firm with them.

Orangeskull, someone on the Conquest lost their bags a few weeks ago. The second morning they were announcing the lost bag, description, and cabin number. They made several announcement, rumor was the luggage was found and returned. The theory of a guest having the wrong bag, looking nothing like their own luggage and then stowing it under their bed is absurd.

:loudcry: I agree, Who wouldn't notice that the luggage in their room wasn't theirs in the first five minutes let alone a week later? .... and someone said a joke maybe? I.Q.'s apparently dropped like a rock in the last week on CC.

I have read it here where some smart guys kept a bag the entire week, thinking it was pretty funny. It happens.

OP, sorry this happened, it really would suck to be without your luggage for the cruise, and since Carnival lost it (temporarily) I was argue that Carnival is somewhat responsible. I have no idea how they could reasonably compensate here other than complimentary laundry (which it sounds like they gave) and maybe some vouchers for the fun shops. Far from perfect, I know.

For me, every other cruise I have been on, it happens to one or two people on board, end we get little announcements to double check ours. For this reason, we ALWAYS pack lightly, in carry-ons, and then self-assist. Since we are in control, we have piece of mind. AS light packers, it is doable. This time, we are going to try to do it all in one carry-one and two backpacks (personal items) between the two of us.

I am not sure if you mentioned, but did you have a trip insurance policy? I am shopping around for this cruise, and the plan I am considering offers $250 to $500 for baggage delay of 8 hours or more. Just in case, it is something to consider.

• Like 1

Orangeskull, someone on the Conquest lost their bags a few weeks ago. The second morning they were announcing the lost bag, description, and cabin number. They made several announcement, rumor was the luggage was found and returned. The theory of a guest having the wrong bag, looking nothing like their own luggage and then stowing it under their bed is absurd.

Maybe not. A cabin or 4 singles next door accidentally grabs the bag in day 1. Pulls it into a crowded room with may other bags. Four people, each knowing it is not their bag, but thinking it is probably one of the other three’s. It gets shoved over i the corner (sure, space is at a premium and it’s probably still in the way, but work with me here). Only in the night before debarkation does anyone notice they have an extra bag. Then, they sheepishly put the bag back out in to the hall (after making sure no one sees them). They know where it belongs, because it has he cabin number on the tag. The bag is then found by OP.

All it takes is four people who don’t listen to the announcements to “check your bags”.

Granted, this is a stretch. A big stretch. But perhaps possible. After all, the bag was SOMEWHERE.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's awful. I'm sure this was an honest mistake, maybe even a passenger with sticky fingers, that had a guilty conscious in the end (or remembered carryon fees at the airport).

Mark my words, whether an innocent mistake, or blatant negligence, Carnival will do their best to avoid responsibility. I had to file a BBB complain against the company, 4 months after my last cruise, and they were suddenly very motivated to make things right. I'm talking refund money from one of their affiliates, that was not theirs to keep.

I suggest you contact Travel consumer advocate Christopher Elliott. He and his staff can advocate for you with Carnival. (Yours sounds just like the sort of case they take on—a consumer who has tried contacting the company but gotten no response.)

From this link, go to he menu and choose “Help”:

http://www.elliott.org/

Sailed on the Carnival Conquest March 31st 2018 Case# LFLI-SB-CQ-04012018-1

Thankfully an unknown kind stranger who was in the lobby heard what was going on and the sobbing of my wife and she gave her a swimsuit, yes a complete stranger helped my wife, not Carnival. :mad:

Don't jump on me but I'm about to suggest something ...'cause I know that people can do some wicked things ...it has crossed my mind that the "complete stranger" may be the culprit. Don't shot me ...this thought came to me after I read this thread ...and while walking to the store.

Don't shoot me.

Ramona

As stated first time on Carnival and maybe each ship is different but this ship store does not carry bras or underwear. They gave her a couple of T-shirts and a rather interesting one piece bathing suit. But yes my wife did cry over all of her items being gone. I guess shes just not as strong as you.

I believe Horizon has a Victoria’s Secret. Maybe other ships will in the future.

So this is your first post here. Welcome. I'm sorry your wife had to deal with that but why in the hell would she wear the same underwear for 5 days???

Fashioned underwear out of cloth napkins???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it was their first cruise but unless we are driving we always cross pack. There are even times i cross pack when driving just because I'm so used to it. Maybe the OP isn't used to traveling and didn't realize this would be a good idea. Sorry it happened. Mistakes happen but thinking ahead wouldn't have totally solved the problem but it would have lessened the stress of it. Chalk it up to lesson learned.

AirTran lost my luggage before a cruise. Luckily we flew in the day before. I spent the evening at the airport looking for it, talking to staffers, filling out forms. Nothing. Went back to the hotel, went to bed, shed a few tears... got up went back to the airport, nothing. Well, ain’t no use in crying and being angry. Thankfully my family all chipped in a few bucks and I got some Kmart bras and drawls in a bag, some shorts, T-shirt’s, socks, sweats no dinner stuff though). But I made it work.

Carnival kept checking for me to no avail. I didn’t book travel through then, but I believe they did what they could to help, and that’s all I could ask for.

I hadn’t flown to the cruise port since. I either drove or took the auto train. Now I’m flying to California for a cruise. I considered driving because of my luggage experience, but I figured I was being irrational.

You can either spend your time being angry or getting a solution to the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes the tags were in fact there and upon opening the suitcase it did not appear that anything had been moved or tampered with. It is possible somebody was being a jerk, I guess our main issue was the genuine apathy of their customer service. Everything obtained from them was a fight.

Lost luggage is a big deal! And Carnival needs to own that. Very sorry that was your cruise experience. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A note went around on our cruise last month on the final sea day asking everyone to look for a missing piece of luggage. I wondered how someone could have it and not know, but then I heard the story of many people in the same room and everyone thought it was someone else's.
I saw that post too. I think it was four women cruising together. Out of all the suitcases they had in the room, didn't anyone notice and wonder why one of them was never opened? That one suitcase, that actually belonged to another passenger, got shuffled around the room unopened and no one questioned it being there? I can assure you that if I'm sharing a cruise ship cabin with people and I notice one oddball suitcase not being touched, I'm going to ask, "Hey, is this anyone's suitcase?" I'd be pretty ticked if I didn't have my suitcase for a couple days, let alone the whole cruise, because it went to another cabin and someone wasn't with it enough to notice a strange bag in their room.

More than likely was delivered to another cabin that had it in their room until the last night when they realized it was not theirs. Told the steward and it was delivered to the right cabin that night.
If that were the case, then at the very least the person whose luggage was lost deserves the steward, or someone official, to explain and apologize in person. If a steward or crew member simply leaves it outside the person's door on the last night without saying a word, that's just poor customer service.

This is what I don't understand...your bag went missing...unless you can prove Carnival deliberately lost your bag, what claim do you have. For the thousands of bags they handle every week, I am sure others have gone missing as well, due to various circumstances. Did they do a search for it? Did YOU search for it...was your tag securely attached, so it didn't or couldn't fall off easily? The best answer to me was you said your bag "miraculously" appeared on the last day...IF it was found by any crew, it should have been presented to you by same not left. You didn't say whether it was in front of your door or in your cabin. That would be another clue. IF it was left in front of your door, then someone put it there, not crew, so someone had it in their cabin for the week until they realized out of guilt they should return it to you. Where Carnival would have no responsibility to you.

I saw that post too. I think it was four women cruising together. Out of all the suitcases they had in the room, didn't anyone notice and wonder why one of them was never opened? That one suitcase, that actually belonged to another passenger, got shuffled around the room unopened and no one questioned it being there? I can assure you that if I'm sharing a cruise ship cabin with people and I notice one oddball suitcase not being touched, I'm going to ask, "Hey, is this anyone's suitcase?" I'd be pretty ticked if I didn't have my suitcase for a couple days, let alone the whole cruise, because it went to another cabin and someone wasn't with it enough to notice a strange bag in their room.

If that were the case, then at the very least the person whose luggage was lost deserves the steward, or someone official, to explain and apologize in person. If a steward or crew member simply leaves it outside the person's door on the last night without saying a word, that's just poor customer service.

....do we know that happened?

I am always afraid of the airline or cruise line losing luggage. (actually one year we got in FLL leaving for a cruise from Miami the next day. We had 5 pieces of luggage for the 4 of us. Only 2 showed up. Other luggage was in Chicago. The luggage did show up in FLL the next morning - we were not confident that it would be brought to the ship so we took a $200 taxi ride back to FLL and got our luggage)

But, because of that incident - I now split up the clothes and pack some of everyone's clothes in all the different suitcases. My family thinks I am nuts but I am not going to be anywhere without some clothes to wear.

We did just that. Split our clothing in 2 luggages. Heck my wife split her clothing into outfits for each day.

• Like 1

If our family of adults cruise together, we also pack essential clothing for a couple of days in each other's suitcases. Also, I always pack a carry-on with my prescription drugs and other medications along with two changes of clothes. If they misplace my luggage, I'm golden for a few days.

We do the same for kids and adults. I really feel for the OP - that is rough!