Why is mock booking a thing?

Why are there so many threads where people advise to book a cabin, only to cancel it, just to get the real price for a cruise?

I never ordered a book on Amazon to find out how much it would cost including postage, they simply tell me before I make my order. Easy for me, easy for Amazon. I don't have to lie to Amazon that I'm going to buy the book, and Amazon doesn't need to reserve that book until I cancel my order or my session times out.

Are there other industries where you need to lie first to get the actual price of product?

Perhaps cruiselines do like mock bookings as a way to get information to feed to the Big Price Computer? Anyway, as a consumer it seems odd and cumbersome to me.

Some cruise lines allow cruisers who book under US/Canadian rules to take advantage of a lower price. Making a mock booking is a one way to check if prices have come down on a booked cruise.

some people just check the bottom line they do not actually make a deposit

Not sure if all lines include taxes & port fees in the advertised price so that may be a factor

You're misunderstanding the use of the term "mock booking".

Basically what people are saying is to complete the booking steps on a cruise booking site, up until you would push the button to actually book the cruise, giving you the total price you would pay including all taxes and fees. Using your Amazon example, is like going through checkout without actually completing the transaction. No booking is actually made.

Some cruise lines allow cruisers who book under US/Canadian rules to take advantage of a lower price. Making a mock booking is a one way to check if prices have come down on a booked cruise.
The problem with doing that for cruises or flights in the UK is that tracking cookies attach to your device and the price will go up next time you try because they think there is a demand for that cruise or flight.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The problem with doing that for cruises or flights in the UK is that tracking cookies attach to your device and the price will go up next time you try because they think there is a demand for that cruise or flight.

Hi

I am not sure what exactly the problem is...you can delete all the cookies every time get off the internet. I do believe this is a good practice.

You're misunderstanding the use of the term "mock booking".

Basically what people are saying is to complete the booking steps on a cruise booking site, up until you would push the button to actually book the cruise, giving you the total price you would pay including all taxes and fees. Using your Amazon example, is like going through checkout without actually completing the transaction. No booking is actually made.

That's exactly what I meant to say. You go through checkout on Amazon, but don't click "finish transaction", just to find the real price.

It's like "Nice car, how much is it?" "$10,972.22" "I want to buy it" "That would be $12,272.23" "OK, I suddenly changed my mind". Over and over again, telling every car dealer in the area that you want to buy a car just to find out how much the car would really cost. That's a weird practice IMHO.

Hi

I am not sure what exactly the problem is...you can delete all the cookies every time get off the internet. I do believe this is a good practice.

There are a zillion ways to see you are the same person without using cookies. The simplest is "He didn't ask for image x, so it must be in his cache, so he's back again". Also there's your IP address and your browser telling what it's capable of. I'm certain that the bigger websites know exactly that you came back even if you delete your cookies or are in "anonymous" mode. I wouldn't even be surprised if they detect that you did delete your cookies and decide that you must be really interested.

Since there is no other way to find out what the cruise is going to cost, you have to at least go through a "mock" booking. Just looking at the posted price does not give you the realities of it. There are things to consider like sales, promotions for extra guests, taxes, port fees etc.

When I go to buy a vehicle, I always ask for the bottom line. i dont really care what price you put on the sticker, I want to know what it is going to cost me to walk out the door, taxes, title, document fees. After all, that is what is going to come out of my pocket

Hi

The Norton Internet security scan to clear cookies on my lap tap takes several minutes but i use my Android phone mostly.

My point with cookies especially on your phone is once you have checked a cruise or flight the interest on that cruise or flight is recorded and often if you come out of the site then go back in again the price will change.

I have experienced this with tour operators as well,all of these on a regular basis in the UK.

That's exactly what I meant to say. You go through checkout on Amazon, but don't click "finish transaction", just to find the real price.

It's like "Nice car, how much is it?" "$10,972.22" "I want to buy it" "That would be $12,272.23" "OK, I suddenly changed my mind". Over and over again, telling every car dealer in the area that you want to buy a car just to find out how much the car would really cost. That's a weird practice IMHO.

But you aren’t saying you want to buy it. You are putting all the variables in (number of passengers, cabin type, cabin location, etc.) and getting a final price. With your Amazon example, you have a product that has no variables. Although, with some products, if you don’t have free shipping, you have to put the item in the shopping cart and select a shipping method to get the final price.

Alternatively, Carnival can post a spreadsheet, listing the price for every cabin (with pricing for one, two, three, four or more) along with various fare options (early saver, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since there is no other way to find out what the cruise is going to cost, you have to at least go through a "mock" booking. Just looking at the posted price does not give you the realities of it. There are things to consider like sales, promotions for extra guests, taxes, port fees etc.

All those things can be considered right away. "We are a couple and one 6 year old, husband is a soldier. How much for a balcony". If it's possible to calculate the exact price after fake booking, the websites should be able to tell you the price before doing as if.

When I go to buy a vehicle, I always ask for the bottom line. i dont really care what price you put on the sticker, I want to know what it is going to cost me to walk out the door, taxes, title, document fees. After all, that is what is going to come out of my pocket

The bottom line is what should be advertised. It's weird to say "I want to buy this car" when you just want to know how much it would really cost.

I used to think this was correct when checking for flights...however if you post this on the "Cruise Air" boards those "experts" will set anyone straight on this subject of the need to clear cookies when looking for flights...apparently not true...Ask this question on that board and you'll get their answer and more. ;)

All those things can be considered right away. "We are a couple and one 6 year old, husband is a soldier. How much for a balcony". If it's possible to calculate the exact price after fake booking, the websites should be able to tell you the price before doing as if.

The bottom line is what should be advertised. It's weird to say "I want to buy this car" when you just want to know how much it would really cost.

And it is. With all the different stateroom categories, you still have to tell the booking engine or agent where you want to go, the dates you want to go, how many in the room, what category stateroom, what location, and whether you want any extras, such as beverage packages, etc. After that information is provided, all the cruise line web sites I use will give me a complete total, including fees and taxes well before I get to the point I need to provide payment information There is no "bait and switch", no hidden fees, no surprises as you seem to be implying. It is impossible to quote a price for a generic stateroom. There are too many variables from which each person may choose differently.

When buying a car, you don't go into the dealer and say "I want to buy a Ford." You tell the sales person what model you want, what color, what trim line, what options. You can't get a final price until you specify exactly what you want. It's the same with booking staterooms.

And with Amazon, the final price will depend on various factors, such as whether you are a Prime member with free shipping, or you want next day delivery for extra cost, or possibility of taxes being collected depending on where the package is being delivered to. It isn't "the price you see is the price you pay", even for that book on Amazon.

Edited by sloopsailor

And RCI recently changed their website so that the only published fare is the nonrefundable-deposit fare. In order to see the refundable-deposit fare, you have to do a mock booking all the way through to entering names of passengers before you can get to the page that allows you to ask to see the refundable-deposit fare. Doesn't get any crazier!

Mock bookings...because Royal is not going to call me and say "hey, the price of your booked cruise went down! Here's the difference - do you want OBC or the amount credited back to your credit card?" :cool::cool::cool:

As has been said, air fares change due to algorithms, nothing to do with cookies etc.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Good point.

Every time i have checked flights or cruises a few times the prices often go up.

With Jet2 and Easyjet they always show my previously viewed flights so obviously they know my interest.

That happens here in the US also but many people don't know it. Even if said person cleans their cookies (I do that every time I shut down my computer), the IP address can still be picked up.

Ramona

You always seem to ask a question and then you appear to be dissatisfied with the answers. As has been said there are so many variables involved it would be impossible for the total price to be displayed on one web page and this is also a way to find out if the price of the cruise has gone down so that one may apply for a price change (with some cruise lines). If this was causing the cruise lines any heartburn (which you seem to be implying) then they could easily arrange it so it couldn't be done.

As for your car example most advertisements will give the price of the car without any added features and if you want to know the price of a car with this, that, and the other thing added you do need to ask the dealer that question. Pretty much the way it is with cruise line pricing.

If you think about it logically, the idea that airlines will put up their prices just because you have checked previously, is irrational. Why increase the fare price, when it will lead the buyer to book tickets through a competitor?

Airlines want you to book, they are not in the business of persuading you to fly with a competitor by arbitrarily increasing their prices.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

There is a misunderstanding about so-called "mock bookings." There is no need to actually book a cabin/cruise to do a mock booking as you simply do not do the last step which is to authorize the payment. On nearly all cruise line sites and decent online cruise agencies it is possible to proceed with a booking but not actually complete the transaction. The idea is to simply get the actual price. On my favorite online agency sites it is often pretty easy to get a final price without proceeding too far in the process.

Why do we do it? In some cases it is necessary to get the actual price (and benefits such as OBCs) and in other cases you have to work through part of the booking process to see the actual available cabin inventory. As to those who think its silly to shop around and price-out cruises on multiple sites...we have saved over $3000 on a single booking by just checking prices on a few of our favorite cruise agencies. We have often suggested that if you are not able to save 7 - 10% over the price (adjusted for OBCs) on a cruise line web site you are likely not shopping around enough or looking in the right places.

Hank

If you think about it logically, the idea that airlines will put up their prices just because you have checked previously, is irrational. Why increase the fare price, when it will lead the buyer to book tickets through a competitor?

Airlines want you to book, they are not in the business of persuading you to fly with a competitor by arbitrarily increasing their prices.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Maybe you missed it, airlines are not having a problem selling seats . Just ask any airline employee trying to fly on a non-revenue ticket waiting for a paying passenger to NOT show up so they can get that seat.

By the way the competition knows who you booked with as everyone flying had to pass security BEFORE you even get to the airport. How do you think screen out flyers on the no fly list

Ramona

But, if you give the information as to the number, age, and etc. of the guests, the type of cabin you want, and any extras you want, isn't that exactly the same as doing a mock booking?

To use your car analogy, here in the US, if you are looking for a car, you can either find a specific car that has what options it has, no choice on your part, and the price is posted. Or, you can say, I want this model, this color, and these options, find me the car, and they will find one that closely matches your desire, and the price will depend on the options chosen. I can remember ordering my first car, directly from the manufacturer, and you chose everything you wanted, color, interior, options, and they built it for you, but the price was always "starting at", since you could add or delete as you wanted.