Really torn. Ruby or Grand?

Cyn874

I am planning a cruise to Hawaii with my family in April 2019. I've spent the last week trying to decide between Ruby or Grand- they both sail that month. There will be 3 of us sharing a cabin, so we'll need to get a mini suite. So far, it seems like the two ships are nearly identical.. and just a few hundred $ difference. So it's nearly a coin toss. To any of you who have traveled both, if you had to pick between them, which would you go for?

One thing of note that might make a big difference in cost: We will be flying in the day before and getting a hotel. I know one leaves from Los Angeles and the other from San Francisco. Airfare seems to be fairly close in cost, but what about hotel accommodations? Are hotels in SF significantly higher than LA, or are they also similar?

I am planning a cruise to Hawaii with my family in April 2019. I've spent the last week trying to decide between Ruby or Grand- they both sail that month. There will be 3 of us sharing a cabin, so we'll need to get a mini suite. So far, it seems like the two ships are nearly identical.. and just a few hundred $ difference. So it's nearly a coin toss. To any of you who have traveled both, if you had to pick between them, which would you go for?

One thing of note that might make a big difference in cost: We will be flying in the day before and getting a hotel. I know one leaves from Los Angeles and the other from San Francisco. Airfare seems to be fairly close in cost, but what about hotel accommodations? Are hotels in SF significantly higher than LA, or are they also similar?

I've sailed on both and they're both nice. Princess ships aren't a lot different except for the older ones (like the Pacific) and the Regal class. There have been complaints of water leaks on the Grand recently, read some reviews and see if it's an issue for you.

What I would try to find out is:

Who are the Hawaiian ambassadors on each ship. I prefer Elua to Brian & Rowena.

Then check out hotels around the port. Never left out of SF, but I've researched hotels when we were thinking about booking a cruise from there. SF hotels are expensive and most of them are a fair distance from the port.

Hotels in LA can be expensive, but if you shuttle/taxi over to San Pedro, you can get a really nice room for $200 or less/night. Look at Best Western Plus, DoubleTree, Crown Plaza. All within 2 miles. Also, a little less classy are the Vagabond and Sunrise.

DoubleTree is our "go to" hotel, when we drive to the port.

I've sailed on the Grand three times and the Ruby two times. I'd go with the Ruby because it's newer and I like newer ships. Also, the Grand just came back with a lot of very sick people again and that scares me a little even though I have no scientific basis for that opinion. JHMO.

I have been on both. Remember that Ruby is a 'Super Grand' with an additional passenger deck, thus I found the public areas a little more crowded than the standard 'Grand Class.' By that I mean the Princess Theatre, Wheelhouse Bar, Horizon Court, etc. At the end of the day, both good ships. Enjoy your cruise on whichever ship you choose.

One of the onboard entertainment features that I'm especially interested in is the 'Movies under the stars' out on the pool deck. It seems both ships have this- do they both have a similar selection of content that they show?

Also, do both ships offer Bingo? I like that, too. :)

So far I'm really leaning towards Ruby, especially given that I'd prefer to stay closer to the port.

The hotels in SF can be astronomically priced, while the hotels in San Pedro and Long Beach are usually reasonable, in my experience. If you should stay at a hotel near SFO then it would be reasonable,possibly. We live across the bay from SF and thought it might be fun to stay in a hotel near the wharf the night before our cruise. I couldn’t find anything for under $600 a night due to a huge Sales Force Convention and Fleet Week, which is is Oct every year. In June two years ago, I couldn’t find a room for my husband who was doing a construction project in the area due to average prices of $650-$700 per night, IF one could even be found, due to an Apple symposium. Every room around the bay was gone, including by the airport and also across in the east bay where a Motel 6 had a room for $350 a night 45 miles from SF !

Basically, if you go out of SF at a non peak time you can get something, but just make sure and check out the situation before you book your cruise, just in case.

Without knowing your dates it is difficult to advise.

You can definitely get reasonably priced rooms at times, but the key is when. Even though we live nearer to SF we prefer to sail out of San Pedro, and even though we’ve had two good cruises on the Grand, it leaked both times. It has character, but it is old.

The Ruby was built with Movies under the Stars and has a better screen and seating, whereas MUTS was added to the Grand several years later and I really didn’t care for it as much as when I sailed on the Ruby Sister ship.

However, the Grand has one covered pool, but the Ruby doesn’t.

Edited by 4cats4me

Ok, this is all some incredibly useful information! I kind of had my heart set on Ruby, but when I checked earlier this evening, it looked like Grand was a little cheaper.. but between the hotel costs in SF, the leaky ship and better MUTS experience on Ruby, I think I'm going to push for that.

I'm curious what you all mean by water leaks on the Grand, though. Do you mean in the plumbing? Or the ship itself is somehow having ocean water leaking in?

If the three of you are planning to book a mini suite, you might check out the pricing and availability of a Window Suite on the Grand which is usually priced about the same cost as a mini but with full suite benefits.

We sailed in a WS on the Grand on a 10 day Mexico cruise in 2014 and all was good [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, this is all some incredibly useful information! I kind of had my heart set on Ruby, but when I checked earlier this evening, it looked like Grand was a little cheaper.. but between the hotel costs in SF, the leaky ship and better MUTS experience on Ruby, I think I'm going to push for that.

I'm curious what you all mean by water leaks on the Grand, though. Do you mean in the plumbing? Or the ship itself is somehow having ocean water leaking in?

Plumbing Leaks. Water dripping on heads in the explorers lounge in 2014, buckets placed throughout the interior of ship to catch drips when we were onboard, and again outside our cabin in 2016, caribe deck we had a bucket outside our door. Many complaints of water over the years. Ship built in 1998. Ruby was built many years later.

We enjoyed the Grand but would pick the Ruby hands down.

Also, my friend was on the Hawaii cruise a couple years ago, the one where the Grand caught on fire off the coast of Hilo, and They got one port day for a 15 day cruise. Had to disembark in Honolulu and fly home. Fire was contained to the engine room, I’m pretty sure, and the parts needed to be flown in I think, but they got all their money back , and a future cruise, as well as a handsome onboard credit compensation.

Yes, and as others mentioned, the closets are tiny on the Grand in some cabins.

Plumbing Leaks. Water dripping on heads in the explorers lounge in 2014, buckets placed throughout the interior of ship to catch drips when we were onboard, and again outside our cabin in 2016, caribe deck we had a bucket outside our door. Many complaints of water over the years. Ship built in 1998. Ruby was built many years later.

We enjoyed the Grand but would pick the Ruby hands down.

Also, my friend was on the Hawaii cruise a couple years ago, the one where the Grand caught on fire off the coast of Hilo, and They got one port day for a 15 day cruise. Had to disembark in Honolulu and fly home. Fire was contained to the engine room, I’m pretty sure, and the parts needed to be flown in I think, but they got all their money back , and a future cruise, as well as a handsome onboard credit compensation.

Yes, and as others mentioned, the closets are tiny on the Grand in some cabins.

We just got off the Grand on Sunday. We totally enjoyed our cruise but I have to tell you reading through these posts reminds me of the little things I noticed. We loved sailing on the Grand and the crew is fantastic but I do remember drops of water from the ceiling hitting my head. And I have never noticed before a ship being in such obvious need of a refurb. Don't get me wrong - the crew does an excellent job of keeping her in shape but I noticed small things that's I don't normally notice (e.g. really worn carpet).

We find Los Angeles easier for parking (right at the terminal vs. going through city traffic in SF and parking 10 minutes walk away). But you can't beat San Francisco as far as an amazing city to visit with SOOOO much to do! It's not that you can't do much in LA but it's all spread out so you must have a car and you must deal with traffic. You can take mass transit or walk in SF.

I'd say if you want more hassle free, go Ruby. If you really want to visit SF, go Grand. You can't go wrong either way. We have never sailed on Ruby so I'm just going by the cities and terminals.

P.S. Did MUTS for the first time on this cruise. Bundled up with a pull over sweater, a vest, a cape, a knit scarf, a blanket over my head, and two blankets on my legs. I'm bringing a ski mask and thermal underwear next cruise! Hope yours is warmer.

P.P.S. The closet on the Grand was the smallest of any cruise we have been on.

One of the onboard entertainment features that I'm especially interested in is the 'Movies under the stars' out on the pool deck. It seems both ships have this- do they both have a similar selection of content that they show?

So far I'm really leaning towards Ruby, especially given that I'd prefer to stay closer to the port.

All Princess ships - with the exception of Pacific Princess - have Movies Under the Stars. They likewise have bingo. If you are torn between Ruby and Grand I would choose based on which is closer and easier for you. Ruby sails out of San Pedro and Grand sails out of San Francisco. You may also wish to consider that Elua might be on Ruby but is never on Grand. If you aren't familiar with Elua they are the Hawaiian Ambassador duo. There are others who do the same sort of thing but, judging from many (many!) reports here on CC, Elua is the favored choice by far.

Grand will have Alfredo's - although it's pizza only. Ruby will not have Alfredo's. Ruby will have Skywalker's. Grand won't. The lounges are different on the two ships. I would prefer the lounges on Ruby to those on Grand but that may not matter to you. My point here is that the ships are not the same. Take a look at the deck plans.

I'd choose Grand because SF is a 3 hour drive for me and San Pedro is either a flight or about a 9 hour drive. If that wasn't a factor I would choose Ruby but that's just my personal choice. Which ever ship you choose I think you will have a great cruise.

Both ships have all the above. Enjoy. Just remember, an extra 500 pax on Ruby if full. 2600 v 3100.

Ruby without a second thought. The Grand has a lot of problems. It’s probably been refurbished since I’ve been on it (2014, I think), I don’t think they can fix the problems with the leaking pipes. My mini suite cabin was in terrible condition: torn and stained upholstery on the couch, broken and hanging cabinet doors, balcony door latch broken, etc. I walked in the bathroom and the tiles from the floor were loose and stuck to the bottom of my feet. I could go on. I love Princess and sail with them every year. I’ve been sailing with them for 30 years. The only way I’d go on the Grand is if they gave it to me for free. Even with that, I’d have second thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Grand. Less crowded. Only Princess ship I've sailed twice. The smaller the better. I won't even consider the Royal or Regal.

But the Regal feels less crowded than the Grand due to the layout.

We are cruising to Hawaii in April out of SFO on the Grand and want to spend a couple of days precruise.

The hotel prices in SFO are astronomical but I've been checking prices and found a reasonable hotel, not inexpensive, but reasonable!! The Friday cost is currently $189 so that's not bad. I'm waiting for a sale hoping that the Thursday price drops out of the stratosphere. ;p;p;p

In case anyone is interested...

https://www.stanfordcourt.com/

There are some differences (besides age). The Ruby has a much larger passenger capacity with essentially the same public spaces...so can feel more crowded if the ship is near capacity. And the Grand has an all weather (indoor) pool while the Ruby has only outdoor pools.

Hank