Hurricane chances/cruise effects

So, we are on Oasis out of Port Canaveral for eastern Caribbean on 5/20-5/27. There is a very real possibility there will be a tropical storm/hurricane coming through the area 5/22-25. At what point does the cruise line make the call to cancel?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Where are you getting your information? Nothing showing at all on NHC.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

I thought I saw it one one of my weather pages but just now looking back now I'm not seeing it right off. It's not the first I've seen about the possibility though. But it IS still 10+ days out. I'd still like information on protocols with this situation. It would just suck to go on the cruise and have it be raining and rocking the whole time.

Eta: always a chance you take by going on a boat, I know. But there's a difference when you know ahead of time.

I thought I saw it one one of my weather pages but just now looking back now I'm not seeing it right off. It's not the first I've seen about the possibility though. But it IS still 10+ days out. I'd still like information on protocols with this situation. It would just suck to go on the cruise and have it be raining and rocking the whole time.

Eta: always a chance you take by going on a boat, I know. But there's a difference when you know ahead of time.

There is very little chance there will be a tropical storm or a hurricane during your sailing since there is nothing building off the African coast. The National Hurricane Center says the chance of anything forming in the next 5 days is close to 0 percent.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

If there was a storm coming, they will try to avoid a storm if possible. If the storm was in the eastern Caribbean, the ship will head western and vise versa.

There is no guarantee that you won't have rain or high seas, but the cruise line does its best to stay away from what they can.

They will only cancel if the port is closed for more than a day or two after scheduled departure. Otherwise they will change the itinerary as necessary. If the port is closed only on the day of departure, they’ll delay it for 1-2 days. You are on your own for accommodation if that is the case but they will offer some kind of pro-rated refund on the cruise for the days missed. If the cruise sails and you’re not on it, you don’t get your money back.

This is where independent insurance is good to have. If your sailing is affected by weather, independent insurance will help to cover the costs associated. If you take RC’s insurance and the cruise somehow gets canceled, your insurance also gets canceled and you are SOL for all the extra expenses you might have incurred in the meantime.

If you are a person who knows they can’t sail on a ship if there’s a hurricane, you should get cancel for any reason coverage with your insurance, or better yet, don’t book during hurricane season!

So, we are on Oasis out of Port Canaveral for eastern Caribbean on 5/20-5/27. There is a very real possibility there will be a tropical storm/hurricane coming through the area 5/22-25. At what point does the cruise line make the call to cancel?

That's an impossible assumption so far away

If you are a person who knows they can’t sail on a ship if there’s a hurricane, you should get cancel for any reason coverage with your insurance, or better yet, don’t book during hurricane season!

I'd like to point out that, technically, the hurricane season does not begin until June 1. Even with that, the real action doesn't usually show up until late August into September.

I'd like to point out that, technically, the hurricane season does not begin until June 1. Even with that, the real action doesn't usually show up until late August into September.

Hurricanes or tropical storms can and do happen almost anytime although rare.

January 12 – 15, 2016 Hurricane Alex

May 8 – 11, 2015, tropical storm Anna

In the Pacific there is....

I've lived right on the gulf coast for over 30 years so I'm well aware of how hurricane season works. Tropical weather doesn't have to start on the African coast to be a threat. What I wasn't familiar with is how cruises avoid the weather when possible and what determined cancellation. The prediction I saw for the coming weather was just that. However, that is what prompted this post so I could be as prepared as possible cruise protocols-wise. Thank you to those who actually answered the question.

From what I've seen over the years living in Florida, I only ever hear of cruise cancellations when the ports close which happens when the hurricanes are almost on top of the port. So unless landfall is likely near the port within 24 hours or so (ie hurricane warning covering the port) your cruise it probably won't be canceled. It might be canceled if it's scheduled to land on your return day and it's a short cruise.

Florida deals with regular storms all the time a little rain and thunder won't stop stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've lived right on the gulf coast for over 30 years so I'm well aware of how hurricane season works. Tropical weather doesn't have to start on the African coast to be a threat. What I wasn't familiar with is how cruises avoid the weather when possible and what determined cancellation. The prediction I saw for the coming weather was just that. However, that is what prompted this post so I could be as prepared as possible cruise protocols-wise. Thank you to those who actually answered the question.

Storm in the gulf, then the Bahamas or eastern

Storm in the Bahamas, eastern then gulf

Storm in southern Atlantic, then northern Atlantic

Ports replaced, sea days added, cruise days cut short or added. Very rarely do they cancel, they will sail without you first

I thought I saw it one one of my weather pages but just now looking back now I'm not seeing it right off.

You're not dreaming, I saw a couple people on flhurricane talking about the GFS modeling something around Tampa on the 25th, but the consensus was "nope" .

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=99173&an=0&page=0#99173

(Added a link "Hurricane Irma Watch" 2017 if you want to see how other cruisers here handled a hurricane affecting their cruises (interesting reading)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539439

Edited by SeaHunt

We live Orlando and this is complete nonsense; a "very real possibility", based on what? Do you have a time machine? Been through many of these living in Miami (Andrew) and 2004/2017 here. You have little to nothing to worry about in May...

Probably referring to tropicaltidbits.com that James Van Fleet (RCI’s chief meteorologist) shared. It’s the GFS model and, yes, up until today it showed a tropical depression coming up through the western Caribbean. Latest model shows it weaker but still slinging precipitation throughout the islands. Also an increase in wave height. Keep in mind this is mostly in the Western Caribbean...and our itinerary is Eastern.

I’m on the same cruise and I’m not worried about it. [emoji6]

11745b29d6e487f04d9595d0dfbd8429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably referring to tropicaltidbits.com that James Van Fleet (RCI’s chief meteorologist) shared. It’s the GFS model and, yes, up until today it showed a tropical depression coming up through the western Caribbean. Latest model shows it weaker but still slinging precipitation throughout the islands. Also an increase in wave height. Keep in mind this is mostly in the Western Caribbean...and our itinerary is Eastern.

I’m on the same cruise and I’m not worried about it. [emoji6]

We were on a western while Maria was crushing the eastern. The sea was like glass most of the trip. I suspect even if it did develop, you would probably have the same experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If there is a storm the ship will sail somewhere else. Being in port when a storm hits is actually worse as there’s a bigger potential for damage from hitting docks, other ships, etc. There’s a reason the Navy empties out their bases when a storm is coming. It’s much better to go to sea and ride out the storm.

If there is a storm the ship will sail somewhere else. Being in port when a storm hits is actually worse as there’s a bigger potential for damage from hitting docks, other ships, etc. There’s a reason the Navy empties out their bases when a storm is coming. It’s much better to go to sea and ride out the storm.
Exactly. 20+ foot waves out at sea makes for a bumpy ride, those waves docked could mean half your boat falls over into land. *

*ok honestly don't know ships that big, but hurricanes have tossed 100ft boats pretty far from sea if bad enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There is very little chance there will be a tropical storm or a hurricane during your sailing since there is nothing building off the African coast. The National Hurricane Center says the chance of anything forming in the next 5 days is close to 0 percent.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

If there was a storm coming, they will try to avoid a storm if possible. If the storm was in the eastern Caribbean, the ship will head western and vise versa.

There is no guarantee that you won't have rain or high seas, but the cruise line does its best to stay away from what they can.

The Cape Verde season (which you are referring to with storms developing off the coast of Africa) is late July at the earliest through October. Storms this time of year IF they develop would develop in the eastern caribbean, western caribbean, bahamas or gulf of mexico.

To the OP - you may encounter some rain showers and unsettled seas, but nothing approaching tropical storm or hurricane status.