POA to skip the Big Island of Hawaii

mianmike

This is really unfortunate as this will hurt the local economy. Hawaii has been begging people not to cancel their trip to the Big Island. There is no good reason to skip either port as they are nowhere near the volcano.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/05/14/breaking-news/pride-of-america-cruise-ship-to-skip-big-isle-port-calls-due-to-adverse-conditions/

I do not think the big island will suffer too much because of one ship deciding not to use the port for awhile and NCL made a decision, based on the safety of the passengers, as well as protecting themselves in case something were to go wrong. The gasses alone could create a real or make believe problem. I think they probably made the only decision they could.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The volcano has been erupting since 1983, I wonder how many passengers have been demanding refunds over all those years.

For god's sake, Mike, don't clutter this discussion up with rationality and facts.

People want to be irational and emotional.

This is the Internet. Show some deference, man.

I do not think the big island will suffer too much because of one ship deciding not to use the port for awhile and NCL made a decision, based on the safety of the passengers, as well as protecting themselves in case something were to go wrong. The gasses alone could create a real or make believe problem. I think they probably made the only decision they could.

I respectfully disagree on the tourism issue, as it is more than one ship not stopping on the big island.

This is taken from http://www.travelweekly.com/Hawaii-Travel/Insights/Hawaii-Island-leads-sixth-year-of-growth

"While all four major islands for tourism saw increased traffic and spending, Hawaii Island led the pack. Visitors spent $2.4 billion on the Big Island, a 14.7% jump from 2016 and the total number of visitors was up 13.7%. Led by boosts in capacity from the U.S. East and Japan, trans-Pacific air seats to the islands expanded by 2%, for a record total of 12.2 million. In 2012, total air seats to Hawaii were roughly 10 million."

Granted NCL and other cruise lines are looking to protect passengers and have made their decision after weighing the volcano issues. Just as some visitors may have canceled plans to visit the Big Island. However, anytime someone in a business loses a day of revenue or a worker cannot go to work because there is not enough tourist traffic to justify having an employee report to work, it does impact someone. For some working in the tourist industry not being able to work may mean less money to put food on the table. To me, loss wages no matter how long may make someone suffer. I am blessed that I retired from a career that enables me to enjoy retirement and travel.

For god's sake, Mike, don't clutter this discussion up with rationality and facts.

People want to be irational and emotional.

This is the Internet. Show some deference, man.

So true . . . my mistake.

We were in Hilo the day of the 6.9 quake on a celebrity cruise. It was both thrilling and terrifying. We found out that day from our tour operator that the other ships planning to port in Hilo were cancelling that stop, and after being there I completely support that position. The earthquakes had not been predicted or foreseen. In fact as we loaded into the van we asked about if we could still go to the volcano park and our guide said, yes, as long as there is no seismic activity, it’s perfectly safe. The earthquakes lead to increased venting of the volcano smog and possibly tsunami’s. Staying clear is a very sensible decision for the cruise like to make.

Kona, is another story. I’m surprised they are cancelling that port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am here in Kona now, and have been here for a little over a week. It’s beautiful, blue skies. We’ve been all over the island, with the exception of the volcano area and it’s been beautiful. Sorry these folks will be missing the 100’s of other things to do here.

We were in Hilo the day of the 6.9 quake on a celebrity cruise. It was both thrilling and terrifying. We found out that day from our tour operator that the other ships planning to port in Hilo were cancelling that stop, and after being there I completely support that position. The earthquakes had not been predicted or foreseen. In fact as we loaded into the van we asked about if we could still go to the volcano park and our guide said, yes, as long as there is no seismic activity, it’s perfectly safe. The earthquakes lead to increased venting of the volcano smog and possibly tsunami’s. Staying clear is a very sensible decision for the cruise like to make.

Kona, is another story. I’m surprised they are cancelling that port.

If your guide never takes people to the volcano if there's seismic activity, he'll never go. There's almost always seismic activity at the volcano. It's an active volcano, that's what volcanoes do.

Here's a map of all the earthquakes for the last month. Since this latest outbreak eruption there has been an increase in activity, but there is always activity.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/monitoring_kilauea.html

If your guide never takes people to the volcano if there's seismic activity, he'll never go. There's almost always seismic activity at the volcano. It's an active volcano, that's what volcanoes do.

Here's a map of all the earthquakes for the last month. Since this latest outbreak eruption there has been an increase in activity, but there is always activity.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/monitoring_kilauea.html

I’m just telling you what he said. And seeing as how they evacuated the volcano park and closed it after the 6.9 quake, I tend to think he knows what he’s talking about.

After we left he did tell us that he’s been working as a guide in that area for years, has been through the volcano park over 1,500 times and has never experienced anything like what we experienced. That plus the fact that this is in the national news every other day tells me that what’s happening there now is fundamentally different than what it’s been doing for the last 20 years.

Edited by sanger727

I’m just telling you what he said. And seeing as how they evacuated the volcano park and closed it after the 6.9 quake, I tend to think he knows what he’s talking about.

After we left he did tell us that he’s been working as a guide in that area for years, has been through the volcano park over 1,500 times and has never experienced anything like what we experienced. That plus the fact that this is in the national news every other day tells me that what’s happening there now is fundamentally different than what it’s been doing for the last 20 years.

Yes, the latest activity is definitely different, thus the park is closed. We are in agreement there. But mainland media is definitely sensationalizing this event though.

I visit this volcano frequently. Seismic activity is totally the norm for a volcano. A 6.9 earthquake is notable and most likely the reason for the new volcanic activity. But if a tour guide avoided the park every time there was seismic activity, he'd never go. Whether it's magma movement or summit inflation or deflation, there's always some kind of seismic activity. In fact there is a seismometer in the visitors center showing the earthquakes in real-time. Right now the Kilauea summit volcano is deflating. The lava has dropped over 1000 feet, below the water table, resulting in a steam plume. Rocks along the crater wall are falling into the crater causing the occasional ash cloud and potentially an explosion which could throw boulders 1/2 mile. There is no danger to cruise passengers because the park is closed. No need for a cruise line to cancel the stop. The other 9/10s of the island is safe and open for business.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/hawaii-volcanologist-its-absolutely-safe-come-hawaii-island

Yes, the latest activity is definitely different, thus the park is closed. We are in agreement there. But mainland media is definitely sensationalizing this event though.

I visit this volcano frequently. Seismic activity is totally the norm for a volcano. A 6.9 earthquake is notable and most likely the reason for the new volcanic activity. But if a tour guide avoided the park every time there was seismic activity, he'd never go. Whether it's magma movement or summit inflation or deflation, there's always some kind of seismic activity. In fact there is a seismometer in the visitors center showing the earthquakes in real-time. Right now the Kilauea summit volcano is deflating. The lava has dropped over 1000 feet, below the water table, resulting in a steam plume. Rocks along the crater wall are falling into the crater causing the occasional ash cloud and potentially an explosion which could throw boulders 1/2 mile. There is no danger to cruise passengers because the park is closed. No need for a cruise line to cancel the stop. The other 9/10s of the island is safe and open for business.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/hawaii-volcanologist-its-absolutely-safe-come-hawaii-island

Unless another 6.9 quake hits and starts it all up again... I see why they would cancel Hilo. If the activity has picked up recently they most likely want it to return to normal levels before returning there. My guess is their biggest concern is tsunami risks from the increased earthquake activity.

As I mentioned earlier, I am in Kona now and have been here for a few weeks. It’s was a bit voggy yesterday afternoon and it’s partly voggy now. Weather is warm and pleasant. No ash or smoke smell. The Sea Princess is in port here in Kona right now. 66ffb281cd62c17255d297dcc2d97a45.jpg

The Big Island of Hawaii is an incredible destination for our guests and we are proud to have faithfully visited its two ports of Kona and Hilo 52 weeks a year for the last 14 years. Our top priority is the safety and security of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the phenomenal geological conditions impacting Hawaii and have modified the itinerary of Pride of America to ensure that our guests have the tremendous vacation experience they have come to expect from Norwegian Cruise Line. To date, we have canceled just three port calls to the Big Island. We will continue to assess the situation carefully and will make changes to our planned itineraries if conditions warrant necessary. We will commence calls to the Big Island of Hawaii as soon as conditions allow.

I have been to the Big Island and drove completely around it. It's BIG. I can understand not stopping in Hilo but I don't understand why NCL is not stopping at Kona. Maybe to prevent stupid people from renting a car and trying to get a "closer look" at the Volcano. NCL can't be held responsible for stupid things people do in port if not on their excursions.

I have been to the Big Island and drove completely around it. It's BIG. I can understand not stopping in Hilo but I don't understand why NCL is not stopping at Kona. Maybe to prevent stupid people from renting a car and trying to get a "closer look" at the Volcano. NCL can't be held responsible for stupid things people do in port if not on their excursions.

In today's society with the huge number of underhanded dirt bag lawyers running around chasing ambulances, I can all but promise you that if the situation you describe were it happen, a law suit would be field against the cruise line in question. Further with the total lack of personal responsibility in this country with all the snowflake cupcakes running around, the cruise line would probably be found liable.

In today's society with the huge number of underhanded dirt bag lawyers running around chasing ambulances, I can all but promise you that if the situation you describe were it happen, a law suit would be field against the cruise line in question. Further with the total lack of personal responsibility in this country with all the snowflake cupcakes running around, the cruise line would probably be found liable.
Don't think the cruise line would be held liable, but I can hear their attorney "judge, if NCL wouldn't have stopped at the big island, my client would have never thought of driving as close as they did to the volcano, thus they would not have suffered this pain and suffering".

I'm sorry for all those who will miss stopping at this island. However, I don't fault the cruise line for their decision. I was also surprised that Kona was cancelled, but the poster who suggested that curious passengers would likely rent cars and head for the volcano is undoubtedly correct. I did the drive to Volcanoes National Park from Kona years ago and it's a relatively easy one. The very curious folks would be tempted.

I just returned this week from a transpacific cruise that stopped in Honolulu and Lahaina. Friends and family were concerned about my safety and I couldn't figure out why until I saw the media coverage. It's unfortunate that the media doesn't take the opportunity to educate people about the geography, because the average person doesn't seem to realize how big each island is and how far apart they are.

We had a few of those curiosity seekers on our transpacific who asked the captain at the Captain's Corner if he would do a sail-by so they might be able to see volcanic activity. He gave a flat "no". I'm cool with that. I did the night-time sail-by of the active lava flow some years back on the POA and it was awesome, but I trust the cruiseline to make the best decisions concerning itinerary with passenger safety in mind.

We are cruising June 9. Will we know ahead of sailing so we can book other excursion?

Rest assured that the cruise line will be scrambling to have other shore excursions available at any substitute ports. If you're booking private excursions, those operators will also be making themselves available. NCL is sure to notify you by email shortly before your sail date once a decision about itinerary has been reached.

Kona was in the ash fall/cloud from yesterday morning's explosive eruption. While short lived, it shows how very, very quickly conditions can change. The magnitude 6.9 earth quake a week ago could have easily collapsed building and triggered a tsunami (it did change the sea level) and was felt on Oahu. Unless you live in an area with earthquakes, you wouldn't appreciate how violent a magnitude 7 earthquake is. You must respect Madam Pele, something that 90% of the tourist on cruise ships don't.

This evening, a fast moving strand of pahoehoe lava is coming out of the ground. Unlike the a'a lava that has been coming out over the past two weeks, pahoehoe can flow like water and can rapidly surround an area and cut people off. Hawaii authorities are using helicopters searching for people cut off by the lava flow.

Edited by BirdTravels