Carnival travel insurance?

bbtbear

We are booked for our first cruise in February and I am looking at travel insurance. If we book Carnival's travel insurance, I'll likely have to also take out a second policy to cover the second half of our vacation since we are staying on in New Orleans for Mardis Gras following our cruise. This seems like a big pain to me, so I am wondering if there is any reason why we SHOULD go with the policy Carnival offers for the cruise portion of our vacation, rather than buying a policy elsewhere to cover our whole trip. Any thoughts?

Much thanks!

We are booked for our first cruise in February and I am looking at travel insurance. If we book Carnival's travel insurance, I'll likely have to also take out a second policy to cover the second half of our vacation since we are staying on in New Orleans for Mardis Gras following our cruise. This seems like a big pain to me, so I am wondering if there is any reason why we SHOULD go with the policy Carnival offers for the cruise portion of our vacation, rather than buying a policy elsewhere to cover our whole trip. Any thoughts?

Much thanks!

With other travel involved, I would recommend an outside company that can cover everything. Will probably end up with better coverage and be cheaper as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd never purchase the insurance that Carnival offers, you can find other less expensive options at InsureMyTrip.com. They are just a consolidater of offerings from various highly rated companies.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Also, check your credit card benefits. Mine includes trip insurance automatically. However, not medical, so I will purchase that before my trip.

Just an FYI

People are reporting that their credit cards are sending them notices of change in benefits.

One of the big changes is trip insurance being reduced to max $1500 total

Just an FYI

People are reporting that their credit cards are sending them notices of change in benefits.

One of the big changes is trip insurance being reduced to max $1500 total

Yes, the coverage is being slashed for trips PURCHASED after July. Anyone traveling or purchasing now should still be covered by the $3,000 per traveler coverage.

I'd never purchase the insurance that Carnival offers, you can find other less expensive options at InsureMyTrip.com. They are just a consolidater of offerings from various highly rated companies.

We have bought Carnival Travel Insurance for all 28 of our cruises. Four of us were scheduled for a B2B on April 21. 2018 and April 28, 2018. We had to cancel on April 16, 2018 due to medical issues with two of the people. One ended up in the hospital from April 19 through April 28th. The other person have severe back pain that would have made it impossible for her to navigate the airports as well as the ship. We had all spent $106.00 for Carnival's Travel Insurance through Nationwide Insurance Company. With a cancellation that late, we were all in the timeframe where the cruise fare was non-refundable. Every one of us has received a complete refund of our cruise fares and airline tickets with no penalty or change fees. If you follow the rules and supply all of the required documentation there are no problems. We received the refunds by check from the insurance company in 2 weeks after filing the claims. Best money every spent.

Unless you are a high-risk health traveler, I would say travel insurance is generally not worth it. Most insurances aren't. If you took all of the money you spend on insurances, and put it in an account for when something does happen, you generally come out ahead. However, there are always catastrophes. A medical evacuation from another country could bankrupt you.

Travel insurance is generally in the ballpark of 10% of the total cost of the vacation. After 10 trips, you have already paid for an extra vacation. Even with insurance, you are not guaranteed to be covered. You may also want to check if they are secondary or primary insurances, and what your medical insurance covers already, because you may be paying extra for nothing.

If you are a big traveler, I would say to get a credit card with good travel insurance. There are many different options out there. The best ones come with the biggest annual fees. However, the portfolio of benefits you can can be a big return. My Chase Sapphire Reserve will cover everything these trip insurances cover (minus their fine print differences and fluctuations in amounts) along with a plethora of other travel perks.

Unless you are a high-risk health traveler, I would say travel insurance is generally not worth it. Most insurances aren't.

Ok so I found out the my company’s health insurance I have for the USA covers out of country (treated as out of network but covered). The only difference is I need to pay the bill in the country that medical procedure is incurred and submit for reimbursement upon return.

Question is does any of these other companies like GeoBlue or Insuremytrip.com have services that wouldn’t require me to pay up front ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you are a high-risk health traveler, I would say travel insurance is generally not worth it. Most insurances aren't. If you took all of the money you spend on insurances, and put it in an account for when something does happen, you generally come out ahead.

I buy medical travel insurance just for the one time I might need emergency evac. Worth spending about $30 for piece of mind.

However don't just think insurance is only for high risk people. My coworker ended up with pnuemonia on her cruise, put her in Mexican hospital for a week. She was rarely sick.

And my son's friend was 28 and traveling with his family and passed away during their cruise. They had no insurance, and sadly didn't even have a life insurance.

Insurance seems like such a waste of money until you need it, and then when you don't have insurance you end up paying more than you would have in your lifetime to be covered for your travels.

We bought a comprehensive Nationwide policy for an 8 night cruise for 4 for about $300 flat through InsureMyTrip. Very high coverage limits across the board, covers pre-existing medical conditions, $1M evac, and cancel for any reason 70% coverage. I love that site. Have bought all our travel insurance through there the past three years.

Last year, we booked Carnival Breeze out of Galveston, with our flights through Spirit. Shortly after booking, there was a news story about Spirit workers going on strike. This was far away from our cruise date, but we decided to get Carnival's trip protection for the first time. During our cruise, Hurricane Harvey struck. Of course the captain kept the ship out of harm's way, but we didn't get back to any US port until a day or so late, and it was New Orleans for refuel/restock. While it was a tense bit of time on the ship, we had peace of mind. Since our flight was cancelled out of Houston, we were able to schedule a flight out of New Orleans with no fees, so that was fine, but the insurance picked up the hotel, food, and transportation before our flight the next day. So trip insurance was certainly worth it for us.

On our upcoming Dream cruise out of New Orleans (it's funny we always end up back in that city), we purchased insurance through Nationwide this time.

Much thanks!

Go to insuremytrip dot com and fill in your deteails and will review options from various companies and price points that cover you from the time you leave your home until you return home. For my upcoming cruise, I got a great policy for 40% less than Carnival's, and with better coverage.

Also, my uncle is cheeeaaaapppp! He loves cruises. He ALWAYS buys travel insurance and told me immediately when I asked him if it was worth it YES! You just never know when you will need it.

Yes, trip insurance is a must, but outside companies are almost always a better deal that what the cruiseline offers.