tips

Yeah now the pompom-crowd gets personal.....

If you do not like the oppinion - try to destroy the person on a personal level.

Personal attacs are all these people are capable off!:rolleyes:

So despicable!:(

You are one of the rudest and highly opinionated people posting on CC, and yet you talk of personal attacks!

Just a reminder of one of your own personal attacks

"Honey do you even know what a foodie is?" Wouldn't want to be your honey or eat with you.

You are one of the rudest and highly opinionated people posting on CC, and yet you talk of personal attacks!

"Honey do you even know what a foodie is?" Wouldn't want to be your honey or eat with you.

Thank you, I agree 100%

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No attack - just a question!

Don't take everything so seriously Granny.... Lighten up! :*

.... Now we check the bill on the last day and adjust the charges according to who and what was used. If we did not go the MDR we removed those charges and added them to a venue we used. ....

Not criticizing your options, not looking to offend anyone. You should realize (maybe you do) that the MDR staff as well as others like those in the Windjammer, Sorrentos, etc. count on YOUR tips to make a living. Especially at Traditional Dining, the staff counts on you being in there. If you remove their tips because you opt to go elsewhere, their income goes down at no fault of theirs. They don't get extra people who will make up for your removal of their tips. The ship has a finite number on board and each waiter, etc. gets a certain amount from the standard tips. If you remove those tips then their pay is reduced. Fine if the service is not up to your standards, but just because you opt out, their pay shouldn't be reduced. Just wonder if you consider that when removing tips for the reason you state. Not judging.

I agree that tips should go away and be rolled into the price of the cruise. That would eliminate the issue, EXCEPT people would continue to tip in cash and we'd really just end up where we were prior to automatic gratuities. The only way to prevent it is to do what Regent Seven Seas does. Tips are included and the crew is forbidden from taking any tips. If a passenger wants to "uptip," they can leave a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund but that's it.

One other comment, many restaurants in Europe add a "service charge" to the meal. This is non-negotiable. It takes the place of tips and can't be withdrawn. Just an observation.

One of funniest things seen on these tip threads/posts is when people say/complain that they are having to spend a large amount of money for the service charge when there are many people staying in the cabin. It is still the same amount per person as the rest of the passengers so the point is mute.

Safe sailing!!

Point well made.

Also, another point. Suppose, just suppose, the cruise line found a way to incorporate the service charge into the fare in a manner where no one was harmed and all received the same benefit? Not sure that could be done due to taxes, etc., but just suppose? Why bother? What difference would it make?

JMHO, those who want the service charge incorporated into the cruise fare do not want the fare increased to offset the service charge. They just don't want to pay the service charge. This is pretty much in evidence from the posts saying the cruise line can just take the service charge out of profit.

Not criticizing your options, not looking to offend anyone. You should realize (maybe you do) that the MDR staff as well as others like those in the Windjammer, Sorrentos, etc. count on YOUR tips to make a living. Especially at Traditional Dining, the staff counts on you being in there. If you remove their tips because you opt to go elsewhere, their income goes down at no fault of theirs. They don't get extra people who will make up for your removal of their tips.

I don't disagree with what you said but there are so many aspects to this issue. How about the people working the specialty restaurants? Their income depends on people eating there as the gratuity is added onto the price of the restaurant. Should people feel some obligation to eat in the upcharge places so that these people will make a living too? Those servers count on people being there just as the servers in the MDR do.

As I said, I don't disagree with you but the issue has become much more complicate with the addition of dining venues and choices. And even if the answer is to just leave the auto gratuities in place, that doesn't address the issue of the folks working the specialty restaurants. Do you not add gratuity to the price but have these folks receive part of the auto grats? That doesn't seem right as the vast majority of passengers, I believe, never set foot into one of the upcharge venues.

I don't disagree with what you said but there are so many aspects to this issue. How about the people working the specialty restaurants? Their income depends on people eating there as the gratuity is added onto the price of the restaurant. Should people feel some obligation to eat in the upcharge places so that these people will make a living too? Those servers count on people being there just as the servers in the MDR do.

As I said, I don't disagree with you but the issue has become much more complicate with the addition of dining venues and choices. And even if the answer is to just leave the auto gratuities in place, that doesn't address the issue of the folks working the specialty restaurants. Do you not add gratuity to the price but have these folks receive part of the auto grats? That doesn't seem right as the vast majority of passengers, I believe, never set foot into one of the upcharge venues.

Why does the guy in the laundry room, who will never ever come face to face with a guest, working for "tips". What a scam. Shame on the industry. Just pay support staff a reasonable wage and disconnect it from tips. Leave the tips for those that provide front line service.

What I do not understand, as people from the USA, we are always told to adapt and be respectful to other countries when visiting them; the media stories of the ugly American sensationalizes this when it is believed the behaviors are wrong yet fine in the USA?

Yet when visitors from other countries come to the USA or travel with USA companies they believe it is not necessary to be respectful and adapt to the USA norms/culture. See it all of the time.

Just to add a note, I have never had a tip given back to me when tipping is not the norm.

Just a question.....no flaming please. :)

I won't flame you, and given the reputation of Britsh politness I am sure you can appreciate that you are not alone in thinking others manners and customs should be respected. Indeed, Britain is one of the most open and tolerant countries on earth.

However, what you clearly fail to understand is cruising is now an international vacation choice.

The US is alone in the world with your tipping culture - it is therefore logical that in this case it is US customs that should adapt. And not just to eliminate confusion, but to safeguard cruise ship staff and their earnings.

I always pre-pay my grats, but it is this subject would never arise if people did not pay them or wish to pay them.

How much of a fare increase would you expect? $14.50 PPPD seem too much?

Why is simply leaving the service charge in place confusing? Seems simple enough.

Sheesh, reading the whole thread may have helped

They should increase it by the tip amount per day, so yes, if it's $14.50 PPPD, of course

It seems simple enough to Americans, but the last time we cruised we were told there were 67 different passenger nationalities on board - tipping is your culture, but not the other 66 countries peoples

Eliminate the confusion and ergo eliminate underpaid staff, while making them their employer's responsibility

Never. You can't "insure" service. You are making stuff up.

The REAL word if language actually meant anything would be ENsure, not INsure but that would ruin the acronym so people simply ignore the erroneous syntax either out of convenience or ignorance. In the past when I was younger, this subtle distinction bothered me to the point that I would actually argue it with people. These days, not so much. LOL

Ensure = to make certain or to guarantee something occurs

Insure = to issue an insurance policy

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/ensure-or-insure

The REAL word if language actually meant anything would be Ensure, not INsure but that would ruin the acronym so people simply ignore the erroneous syntax either out of convenience or ignorance. In the past when I was younger, this subtle distinction bothered me to the point that I would actually argue it with people. These days, not so much. LOL

As one grows older, ‘Ensure’ has more relevance. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another tip increase, when will it end? How can we take the tips off our account and tip in cash?

You can pay more in cash is you feel that the tip amount is not enough. don't understand why you want to take tips off your account?? Gives the impression you will tip less then suggested and also miss people "behind the scenes" that help to make your vacation pleasant. Think of a dollar a day being equal to Mcdonalds summer $1.00 drink price!

Sheesh, reading the whole thread may have helped

They should increase it by the tip amount per day, so yes, if it's $14.50 PPPD, of course

It seems simple enough to Americans, but the last time we cruised we were told there were 67 different passenger nationalities on board - tipping is your culture, but not the other 66 countries peoples

Eliminate the confusion and ergo eliminate underpaid staff, while making them their employer's responsibility

Perhaps you can direct me to the posts where a specific price increase was mentioned??

A statement to incorporate the service charge into the cruise fare is ambiguous at best.

BTW, the cruise line is under no obligation to cater to those other 66 nationalities. The 66 nationalities do have an obligation to adapt to the stated rules including the service charge.

Perhaps you can direct me to the posts where a specific price increase was mentioned??

A statement to incorporate the service charge into the cruise fare is ambiguous at best.

BTW, the cruise line is under no obligation to cater to those other 66 nationalities. The 66 nationalities do have an obligation to adapt to the stated rules including the service charge.

Says who? :eek:

There is no service charge! (y)

Automatic tips covers your stateroom attendant and helpers, plus your dining staff in the Main Dining Room and Windjammer.

Do suite tips include Coastal Kitchen staff?

....If we did not go the MDR we removed those charges and added them to a venue we used....

Not sure if you realize that the MDR staff work in other venues. We have seen our Assistant Waiter, Waiter, and Head Waiter all working WJ. Some passengers, especially new cruisers, do not know this and feel that if they did not eat in the MDR, they should remove that portion of their gratuities.

...You should realize (maybe you do) that the MDR staff as well as others like those in the Windjammer, Sorrentos, etc. count on YOUR tips to make a living.

Agreed.

That’s exactly how it works in Australia. The standard gratuity has been rolled into our fare as a service charge and cannot be removed. People are free to give additional to anyone they choose, or give nothing further.

Given the level of heated debate and confusion, I have come to accept that this is the right way.

I would go further. All prices quoted on board the ship should include service. Drinks, spa treatments, speciality dinning, everything. It is deceptive to quote a lower price and then charge 18% on the bill. Again it will take away all confusion over whether service is included and the tipping nightmare will end.