Alaska..what not to forget?

svcalum07

I'm traveling to Vancouver for the 7 night NB Golden Princess cruise.

Besides the obvious like passport, coat, rain gear, mini pharmacy of medication/first aid, and binoculars...what are some other items that you wish you had brought or forgot on your trip?????

...or things you had brought but didn't need.

Besides the obvious like passport, coat, rain gear, mini pharmacy of medication/first aid, and binoculars...what are some other items that you wish you had brought or forgot on your trip?????

Bug Spray!! The mosquitos were bad when we were there.

Umbrella may or may not be nice. Layers of medium coats may be better than one heavy coat. If you are into photography take enough memory for at least 2,000 pictures. After you pack, take half of it out and leave at home. You will not need it. Boots are nice if you will be outside and doing any hiking, or just out on deck. It was cold there last week.

Just a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned yet ...

-Sunscreen (I once used an entire tube of sunblock, didn't need my jacket on once)

-some small size plastic bags (wear over your socks / inside your shoes in case it is really raining .. will keep your feet dry)

Whatever walking/hiking shoes you take make sure they are waterproof (silicone waterproofing spray is available for leather and fabric shoes).

Don't forget a hat, gloves and scarf. It might be warm in port but out on a moving ship the temperature can be much cooler, not to mention the wind you might have to contend with.

I find the scarf very use full if you spend a lot of time out on deck. Like everyone says the key is to layer and be able to easily add or take off to stay comfortable.

All I ever wear is t shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and light/medium weight jacket.

Dollar store rain ponchos

A small backpack so you can stash any layers you've shed during the day (or bring some extras)

Sunscreen

Lots of memory cards and an extra battery for your camera

Waterproof your sneakers before you leave home (available in Walmart camping section) - your feet will thank you!

Just a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned yet ...

-Sunscreen (I once used an entire tube of sunblock, didn't need my jacket on once)

-some small size plastic bags (wear over your socks / inside your shoes in case it is really raining .. will keep your feet dry)

The plastic bag over your socks was the most valuable suggestion I have seen so far. We are leaving on the Grand June 25th to Alaska and you can bet those will be in my suitcase. Thanks

I am in Ketchikan today. I only brought cold weather hats, but I wish I’d brought a baseball cap or my brimmed travel hat I usually take. Winter cap not needed today for long, but I needed a hat for sun. Yes, sun in Ketchikan.