Deployment 2020-21 booking season begins

Very interesting development with the announcement today of NCL to send Norwegian Joy- which has been built specifically for the chinese market- to sail year round from the west coast in 2019. Wondering how RC will react to this move.

What itinerary will it sail -- Mexican Riviera? 7- or 10-nights? I could be talked into that. :)

What itinerary will it sail -- Mexican Riviera? 7- or 10-nights? I could be talked into that. :)

"The nearly 4,000 passenger cruise ship Norwegian Joy is slated to sail seasonally from Seattle to Alaska in summer 2019 before making voyages to the Mexican Riviera and Panama Canal from Los Angeles in winter 2019/2020."

Looks like someone has started talking!

On my 12 nite Anthem Carib. cruise, the Captain at the Q&A mentioned the possibility of Oasis class sailing from NJ. Maybe as a stop gap until one of the Q class is available.

If you are talking about Cape Liberty...I don't see how that could happen. Don't believe it will fit under the Verazzano bridge. :o

If you are talking about Cape Liberty...I don't see how that could happen. Don't believe it will fit under the Verazzano bridge. :o

If the Oasis or Allure still can lower their stacks as they did to get under the Great Belt Bridge (213') they would clear Verazzano (215'). Don't think that class of ships after the Allure have that feature.

If the Oasis or Allure still can lower their stacks as they did to get under the Great Belt Bridge (213') they would clear Verazzano (215'). Don't think that class of ships after the Allure have that feature.

Hmmm...does not sound cost effective to do that each week?

I thought it looked close on Explorer, though was optical, I wanted to duck!

As mentioned above, the first RCI ship which will be LNG is Icon, not due till '22. Q4 (Spectrum) and Q5 (no name yet - due in late '20) are not LNG.

The article that I read indicates that they are LNG powered & introduction of fuel cells technology.

See link:

http://crew-center.com/quantum-class-ships-4-5-be-named-passion-seas-and-pulse-seas

Is the article wrong?

The Captain (?) at Q&A session said that an Oasis class would have no problem sailing under the Verrazano.

The article that I read indicates that they are LNG powered & introduction of fuel cells technology.

See link:

http://crew-center.com/quantum-class-ships-4-5-be-named-passion-seas-and-pulse-seas

Is the article wrong?

I saw hydrogen fuel pumps in Connecticut.

Didn't realize fuel cells were that common yet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think Jacksonville has an LNG terminal.

Yes Jacksonville FL has one that is fueled from a new plant near Jacksonville. I was involved with it during construction. It went on line late 2017/early 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Captain (?) at Q&A session said that an Oasis class would have no problem sailing under the Verrazano.

Really??!! :o

Address: Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, Staten Island, NY

Total length: 13,700′

Construction started: August 13, 1959

Clearance below: 228′

Oasis-class cruise ship - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis-class_cruise_ship

The Oasis class is a class of Royal Caribbean International cruise ships which are the world's ... About 30 feet (9 m) of the ship sits beneath the water, a small percentage of the ship's overall height. Wide, shallow ships such as this tend to be ...Height‎: ‎72 m (236 ft) above water line

Capacity‎: ‎5,400 passengers double occupancy; ...

This was from a presentation I came across dated 2013... gives the air draft what I would think are the raised and lowered positions of the stacks. This was only for the Oasis and Allure.

e866aw.jpg

The following is from a chart for the Narrows permitting an air draft of 215", so the 65m (213") would be doable.

ng1zpy.jpg

There's generally about a 4-foot difference between high and low tide, and the roadway is actually about 12 feet lower in the summer than in the winter because of thermal expansion of the cables. So while I don't really see it mentioned, I would generally expect a published high-tide mean clearance number is also likely to consider the thermal expansion effects, so there's probably as much as 16 feet more clearance there at certain times of the day or days of the year. :)

But would you really want to chance all that with 2 feet in clearance? That's really not much. Can't imagine the disaster that would be when some calculation is actually off and causes the stack to clip the bridge. Too much risk imo.

That two feet would be lost on a full moon, or flood tide with storms.

Can you imagine the itinary being changed to staying at port [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Exactly my point...too much to consider, and not cost effective with that.

I really think they have more knowledge and better data than we do. Kind of like when they floated one of them backwards to reduce wake or something.

If it cant be done they wont risk it.

I really think they have more knowledge and better data than we do. Kind of like when they floated one of them backwards to reduce wake or something.

If it can't be done....I don't want to be on that ship that day either. ;)

A travel agent in Singapore said that the deployment of Quantum Of The Seas for the 2019-2020 season in Singapore was a trial only. It was to see if Singapore and the Southeast Asia market can provide a demand for the Quantum Class to home-port there every winter. If it works out, then Quantum Of The Seas will continue her dual home-port if not, she might go somewhere else.

If Quantum leaves, RCCL will definitely replace it with a smaller size ship, probably a Voyager Class or a Freedom Class.

Mariner used to back up the Channel in San Pedro because there was no turning basin.

Mariner used to back up the Channel in San Pedro because there was no turning basin.
Azipods make that easy. I was referring to I think a Quantum ship leaving the shipyard via a river/canal. Going backwards may have reduced draft.

Probably the opposite of what needs to happen for clearing a bridge, but just shows they can accommodate obstacles.