Has anyone been on Celebrity's shore excursion Gaudi's Barcelona ?

cruzemaven

We are booked on The Reflection next month and would like to know if anyone has taken the shore excursion offered by Celebrity that includes a visit to the Sagrada Familia? Does a visit mean we get to go inside? Once inside, does it include an audio guided tour, a tour guide guided tour or walk around on your own? There's not enough detail given in the tour description and I want to make sure that we actually get to go inside and are guided in some way. Am I better off not taking this excursion and buying my own skip the line tickets with a guided tour on the Sagrada Familia online site? Would appreciate any suggestions...thanks

I would suggest you buy the skip the line tickets and get the audio guide. I can’t imagine going with a bus load of people and having to move at the pace of a guide. The outside is also very beautiful and detailed and worth spending some time to study,

It is truly amazing. The first time we were there the interior wasn’t complete the 2nd time the interior was done and IMHO it defies description

As you did, must read carefully. I don’t believe it includes inside. We did it after a private tour of Barcelona and Parc Guell - also by Gaudi. The tour guide took us all around the outside of the church and explained the symbolism. Arranged to have us dropped off at church and we had prepurchased tickets for self guided tour with audio set. Lots of taxis to take back to ship after

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just checked the port schedule and there are 4 large cruise ships in Barcelona on the same date. Thousands of passengers offloading in the morning:eek:... Will we have a problem getting a taxi to The Sagrada Familia from our ship, if we decide to do this on our own?

Try the hop on hop off bus. It’s the best one we’ve ever done. You get to see so much.

A couple years ago we took a taxi back from the Sageada and he took us the long way so watch out for that.

I also recommend booking the"skip the line" tour. The lines to purchase a ticket are incredibly long. I am guessing that the ship's tour does not take you inside. Viator is a good tour company to use. Can't address the taxi issue but I am guessing that getting a cab won't be a problem.

Also agree about the ho/ho bus. Great way to see everything.

We are booked on The Reflection next month and would like to know if anyone has taken the shore excursion offered by Celebrity that includes a visit to the Sagrada Familia? Does a visit mean we get to go inside? Once inside, does it include an audio guided tour, a tour guide guided tour or walk around on your own? There's not enough detail given in the tour description and I want to make sure that we actually get to go inside and are guided in some way. Am I better off not taking this excursion and buying my own skip the line tickets with a guided tour on the Sagrada Familia online site? Would appreciate any suggestions...thanks

As in another post I would do Hop On Hop Off bus you will have stops near many Gaudi sights and if you can purchase skip the line tickets do so. the lines get very long. Whatever you do don't miss it.

No need for a ship's tour in Barcelona, or any organized tour, really. The city is very do-able on your own. However, if you are looking for an excellent private tour operator, I highly recommend Barcelona Day Tours. (You'll not only get a terrific tour of the city, but your transportation issues will be solved and you won't waste any time trying to get around.) You can get more info on the Ports of Call/Europe/Spain board, too.

A note of caution about the Ho-Ho bus, especially with so many ships in port; from what I have read, if you get off the bus, you might find the next bus you want to board too crowded for you to get on.

You definitely want to see the inside of La Sagrada Familia.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for all your advice...decided to buy our own timed entrance tickets online. Crossing our fingers ( with 4 ships in port at the same time) that there will be a taxi available to get us there. I guess we'll plan on leaving the ship before 10 am for an 11:15 entrance time and hope that's enough time.

Thanks for all your advice...decided to buy our own timed entrance tickets online. Crossing our fingers ( with 4 ships in port at the same time) that there will be a taxi available to get us there. I guess we'll plan on leaving the ship before 10 am for an 11:15 entrance time and hope that's enough time.

My 2 cents...I would get off ship as early as you can (i'm not sure how early you plan on leaving when you say "before 10")...even if you get to church early, you can easily spend an hour looking around the outside. I would guess if you got off the ship at 10 you would get to church around 1115(especially with 4 ships)...it is probably 20ish minute ride with no traffic after getting in the cab . I don't know how long your timed tickets are good if you are late?

you can catch the metro from the bottom of las ramblas, line 3 then change onto line 2

its only about 2 euros each way.

for the more energetic, its only 4km from the port

to walk it

hold onto your valuables, better still leave them on the ship

My 2 cents...I would get off ship as early as you can (i'm not sure how early you plan on leaving when you say "before 10")...even if you get to church early, you can easily spend an hour looking around the outside. I would guess if you got off the ship at 10 you would get to church around 1115(especially with 4 ships)...it is probably 20ish minute ride with no traffic after getting in the cab . I don't know how long your timed tickets are good if you are late?

I totally agree with the advice to go early. The outside of La Sagrada Familia is something you want to spend a good bit of time looking at.

Leave the ship earlier if you can. Barcelona is a beautiful city. You’ll want time to walk around the neighborhood before your tour of La Sagrada Familia. We booked the Hoho on both our stays in Barcelona. This made it easy to to get around. Taxis are easy to find. Be sure to ask the estimated cost before you get into the cab.

The HoHo routes we went on were about 2 hours each for a full circuit so not a good idea if you're trying to get to La Sagrada Familia by a specific time. Taxis were plentiful in Barcelona, even on days with four or more ships in port. If you get there early you can enjoy the exterior before entry, otherwise you can enjoy that after going inside.

The HoHo routes we went on were about 2 hours each for a full circuit so not a good idea if you're trying to get to La Sagrada Familia by a specific time. Taxis were plentiful in Barcelona, even on days with four or more ships in port. If you get there early you can enjoy the exterior before entry, otherwise you can enjoy that after going inside.

Where did you get the HOHO from the ship?

In London and Dublin, there are 2 HOHO companies, are there more than 1 company for the HOHO? If so, which did you take?

Leave the ship earlier if you can. Barcelona is a beautiful city. You’ll want time to walk around the neighborhood before your tour of La Sagrada Familia. We booked the Hoho on both our stays in Barcelona. This made it easy to to get around. Taxis are easy to find. Be sure to ask the estimated cost before you get into the cab.

Where did you get the HOHO from the ship?

you can catch the metro from the bottom of las ramblas, line 3 then change onto line 2

its only about 2 euros each way.

for the more energetic, its only 4km from the port

to walk it

hold onto your valuables, better still leave them on the ship

The metro is so easy to take and lets you off right in front of the church!

We did a half day tour with Spain Day Tours and they dropped us off at the Sagrada. We did have pre purchased skip the line tickets. Then took a taxi to Las Ramblas and walked to the shop shuttle pickup area or could take a taxi. The half day tour was excellent and reasonable

Hope you can see other Gaudi creations...truly amazing. There are also a few bios that we read before our pre cruise stay in Barcelona..amazing city..So much to enjoy!

BUT watch out for pickpockets/ purse snatchers