Dear CEO of Royal Carribean...

Rather than to write to RCL's CEO, why don't you complain to your country's CEO as to why the C$ is so weak. Since you've elected Trudeau and represents the Canadian peoples, maybe he'll respond back.

I like this suggestion. I think his email is LittlePotato@ca.gov

Blaming the CEO for currency exchange rates is synonymous with blaming the Captain for the weather....oh yeah, I’ve overheard that conversation at Guest Services too....

At least you can claim the captain could have sailed around the weather. I have absolutely no idea how to blame Bayley for the Canadian economy :)

Dear Annelle,

Thank you for your recent inquiry into the operations of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Below please find the answers to your questions:

1. There are significant structural and logistical requirements around docking a large ship in port. There must be sufficient infrastructure and local vendors to allow the ship to restock fresh goods. Transportation networks must exist to allow for smooth debarkation and movement of passengers away from the immediate port area. Cruise ships have a deep draft and thus the harbor must have enough of a deep water channel to allow for safe pilotage. These conditions do not exist everywhere, and often must be constructed at significant capital expense. RCCL is continually re-evaluating our ports of call and when interest exists we would consider investing the needed resource into opening up new ports.

2. Most cruise departures from the US are on Saturday or Sunday as this is when most people start and end their vacations. Given currents, prevailing winds, and geography, there is only one feasible route that can be taken to allow stops of sufficient length and without excess speed which can be uncomfortable. Thus all many ship depart the same day and sail the same route, leading to many ships being in port the same day.

3. We pay our vendors for fuel and supplies in US dollars, and invest US dollars in our new ship construction. Thus if we charged Canadians the same fare in Canadian dollars at par we would take a loss. Perhaps if you could convince all our vendors to take Canadian dollars at par we could make it work. But don't tell the Indonesians, they would be able to cruise for a buck (14,500 Rupiah per dollar.)

Please do not hesitate to contact my office with any further questions.

Sincerely,

CEO, RCCL

I'd be surprised if they didn't at least browse every so often. Maybe a little disappointed.

The travel professionals I've talked to tend to have a lesser opinion of cruise critic than those who post here.

Quite frankly, if the CEO of a major cruise line spends time browsing this forum, he needs to take a few lessons on time management.

I tend to agree with the OP on the same old ports over and over.

I also agree with the poster who said the size of the ships and money spent on Labadee, CoCo Cay and Foulmouth, big $$$ to keep those mega ships there.

However....for us its all about the ship, we don't care where it goes, just as long as we are on it!!! :D

The travel professionals I've talked to tend to have a lesser opinion of cruise critic than those who post here.

Quite frankly, if the CEO of a major cruise line spends time browsing this forum, he needs to take a few lessons on time management.

Who suggested he browse the forum at work? If I was that invested in a company, as the CEO, I'd be damn sure to check out the largest hub of passengers on the internet who discuss and leave feedback about my product.

Who suggested he browse the forum at work? If I was that invested in a company, as the CEO, I'd be damn sure to check out the largest hub of passengers on the internet who discuss and leave feedback about my product.

If I was the CEO, I would "hire" someone to do so. I'm sure he has enough to contend with.

Dear CEO of Royal Carribean....

It would be great to have Canadian offers (or at par dollars) for Canadians cruisers. With 32% exchange rate, a 6000$ cruise cost Canadians 8000$, before any activities, excursions or beverage package. So a family cruise can quickly add up to 10 000$. That is not something we can afford regularly.

Perhaps Canadians should also be offered free medical care on the ships, since they already paid for their socialized medicine.

The number of posters on Cruise Critic is a very small fraction of all who cruise. Those who do post here often have a vastly inflated opinion of this site. No CEO will have the time to do as you think. I suspect that the only site RCCI monitors is their facebook page and it certainly isn't the CEO who does that.

Thanks for the explanations.

However:

-If Disney as Canadian at par offers, so can Royal Carribean

-I get that some ships cannot enter some ports but there are dozens of ships and many different ports. You can also tender.

-You can change the itinerary and swich port of calls.

This post is for a Royal Carribean CEO to read and hopefully take action on some of our suggestions.

If we are answering for them, they wont do anything.

So please post only your suggestions of what you would like to improve and let's keep our fingers crossed that we will have a RCC answer us

The CEO doesn't read Cruise Critic, and while there's a RCI rep that does, they take things with a grain of salt. The vast majority of people that cruise don't even know about CC.

The CEO doesn't read Cruise Critic, and while there's a RCI rep that does, they take things with a grain of salt. The vast majority of people that cruise don't even know about CC.

As can easily be confirmed by asking those you meet on your next cruise if they read CC.

Just to add to what one poster mentioned, "they sail full most of the time" if you check recent annual reports, they sail at a rate greater than 100%..This is because the rate is base on occupancy, add 3rd, 4th to a cabin and the rate goes up. A ship's capacity is measured in two ways, cabins occupied and by SOB standards of maximum passenger and crew totals....ie, number of souls onboard compared to available seats on life boats and rafts.

As for new ports....it does happen. NCL built a pier in Roatan, and look what has happened there...it is one of the most popular ports in the Caribbean. RCI built Falmouth and it continues to be a success. Private Islands, it seems every cruise line has leased or purchased an island and built a private destination.

Last time Royal didn't consistently sail with full ships was right after 9/11/2001. That Attack followed by Florida Anthrax scare and Shoe Bomber, was many cancellations and very few last minute people sailing, which in the past was really popular. My experience while traveling by myself with small children. I got home from a cruise 9/12/2001. Was in Florida in Oct during the Anthrax attack and Hoax attacks there. Then and got off cruise Dec 22 flying from Miami day of Shoe Bomber was to land there, "Take my shoes off why?" ...Before then you have to go back to late 1980's threw early 1990's with many empty cabins...

That would probably be FB.

They have a significant presence there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last time Royal didn't consistently sail with full ships was right after 9/11/2001. That Attack followed by Florida Anthrax scare and Shoe Bomber, was many cancellations and very few last minute people sailing, which in the past was really popular. My experience while traveling by myself with small children. I got home from a cruise 9/12/2001. Was in Florida in Oct during the Anthrax attack and Hoax attacks there. Then and got off cruise Dec 22 flying from Miami day of Shoe Bomber was to land there, "Take my shoes off why?" ...Before then you have to go back to late 1980's threw early 1990's with many empty cabins...

There may not have been as many empty cabins but there certainly was a lot of very deep discounting to fill those cabins as recently as 2012/2013 when we started cruising

Dear Annelle,

Thank you for your recent inquiry into the operations of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Below please find the answers to your questions:

1. There are significant structural and logistical requirements around docking a large ship in port. There must be sufficient infrastructure and local vendors to allow the ship to restock fresh goods. Transportation networks must exist to allow for smooth debarkation and movement of passengers away from the immediate port area. Cruise ships have a deep draft and thus the harbor must have enough of a deep water channel to allow for safe pilotage. These conditions do not exist everywhere, and often must be constructed at significant capital expense. RCCL is continually re-evaluating our ports of call and when interest exists we would consider investing the needed resource into opening up new ports.

2. Most cruise departures from the US are on Saturday or Sunday as this is when most people start and end their vacations. Given currents, prevailing winds, and geography, there is only one feasible route that can be taken to allow stops of sufficient length and without excess speed which can be uncomfortable. Thus all many ship depart the same day and sail the same route, leading to many ships being in port the same day.

3. We pay our vendors for fuel and supplies in US dollars, and invest US dollars in our new ship construction. Thus if we charged Canadians the same fare in Canadian dollars at par we would take a loss. Perhaps if you could convince all our vendors to take Canadian dollars at par we could make it work. But don't tell the Indonesians, they would be able to cruise for a buck (14,500 Rupiah per dollar.)

Please do not hesitate to contact my office with any further questions.

Sincerely,

CEO, RCCL

I love this reply. In fact I love CC because of replies like this :)

Suggestion to OP. Twitter and facebook may be better means of communicating your thoughts to RC. You might even be able to engage in a conversation with the CEO if he is on either of these platforms.

Note to OP. If you are going to post on a message board then expect people to jump in with all kinds of replies including ones you don't like.

As for the number of ships in port, look at the number of cruise ships sailing to that port. Say Nassau.

Most cruises are about a week long. So divide the number of ships that go to Nassau, by 7 and you get the average number of ships in port per day.

Heck, you have at least 8 LINES that cruise there. With how many ships each????

There may not have been as many empty cabins but there certainly was a lot of very deep discounting to fill those cabins as recently as 2012/2013 when we started cruising

Depending on one's definition of "deep", discounting happens all the time - see 1/6/19 Oasis sailing.

Some of the Caribbean/Bahamas ports RCI Sails to: (not in any order)

Has the OP been to all of them?

1 Nassau

2 Bimini

3 St. Kitts

4 Grenada

6 Barbados

7 Antiguia

8 Costa Maya, Mexico

9 Cozumel, Mexico

10 Labadee, Haiti

11 San Juan, Puerto Rico

12 St. Maarten

13 St. Thomas

14 St. Lucia

15 Belize City, Belize

16 CocoCay, Bahamas

17 Havana, Cuba

18 Grand Cayman

19 Falmouth, Jamaica

20 St. Croix

1) Why are we always visiting the same ports in the Carribean? After my 5th cruise, I am really tempted to try a new cruise line to discover new ports.

Exactly what ports are you wanting RCI to go to? :confused: