Room service: Can we order dinner from the main dining room menu?

dcsam

Absolutely.

Just check what the rules are on your ship. some are in the first half hour of the dining room opening and others are not.

BUT, you can have the dinner delivered when you want.

So, if you have to place your order at 5:30 (as an example) you can specify you want it for your time preference such as 7:30. As long as it is withing MDR operating hours, it shouldn't be problem.

Hope this helps :)

We’re booked in an outside category. Can we order room service from the main dining room menu (dinner)? Or is that only for the Neptune Suite guests?

Every cabin on every HAL ship can order from the dining room menu to their cabin. Even the lowliest inside has this available to them.

We've ordered dinner about a half dozen times. On those ships (Amsterdam and Prinsendam) you could order off the dinner menu as long as the dinning room was open for dinner. It was a great option for us when we returned late from shore or one of us didn't feel tip top.

Absolutely.

Just check what the rules are on your ship. some are in the first half hour of the dining room opening and others are not.

BUT, you can have the dinner delivered when you want.

So, if you have to place your order at 5:30 (as an example) you can specify you want it for your time preference such as 7:30. As long as it is withing MDR operating hours, it shouldn't be problem.

Hope this helps :)

While you can select whatever time you want, we were told that it would not be until after 6:30 PM. I think it has something to do with the timing of the main entrees being prepared for the MDR early seating. Each ship might vary though.

Yes. You can order breakfast too. I believe you hang your order on your door the night before. I have read about passengers writing in things that they want. Not sure what it was though.

Thanks! Gotta give it a try at least one morning!

We were on the14 day Zaandam recently and we always eat in the room. I had no problems ordering from the main menu at any time during regular dinner hours. Prime Rib, steak and lobster, etc. our food always came within 1/2 hour from ordering and was hot. No need to wait for the serving time at the MDR. Look on your ship app or tv for the days menu.

Not to start a debate- however we've never ordered from the MDR menu for dinner. We may have to on an upcoming cruise as I've had foot surgery and unfortunately can't stand/sit/walk long distances so this may be an option for us.

My question is- what did people tip when being served a meal from MDR? We always tip for coffee/rolls/etc in the amount of $2 or $3 dollars. With that said, does an entire meal being deliver usually get a larger tip? Again, not wanting to start arguments, just wondering what other folks do (and we may or may not follow what they do- just looking for information). We will be booking a standard balcony cabin, not a suite. Thank you in advance.

Room service people are part of the tip pool so they are already tipped.

Many people don't tip anything extra since it is already included in your daily gratuity.

The range I hear about is from $1 to $5 for those who choose to tip above the already included tip. Whatever you choose to do will be appreciated -

Not to start a debate- however we've never ordered from the MDR menu for dinner. We may have to on an upcoming cruise as I've had foot surgery and unfortunately can't stand/sit/walk long distances so this may be an option for us.

My question is- what did people tip when being served a meal from MDR? We always tip for coffee/rolls/etc in the amount of $2 or $3 dollars. With that said, does an entire meal being deliver usually get a larger tip? Again, not wanting to start arguments, just wondering what other folks do (and we may or may not follow what they do- just looking for information). We will be booking a standard balcony cabin, not a suite. Thank you in advance.

• 5 years later...

So, here we are in 2024… does anyone know if this wonderful benefit is still in affect. We used to love ordering to cabin from main dining menu, especially on the longer cruises. I recall it was never posted and not everyone was aware  of this perk!

TYIA, happy cruising all! 😎

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:45 AM, Dancing Granny said:

So, here we are in 2024… does anyone know if this wonderful benefit is still in affect. We used to love ordering to cabin from main dining menu, especially on the longer cruises. I recall it was never posted and not everyone was aware  of this perk!

TYIA, happy cruising all! 😎

Yes, it is still available, at least as recently as late November 2023. I had a fall in Rome and twisted my knee so took advantage of this a couple of times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1