Aft Balcony Question

Dishbaby

The past two times we have sailed we have booked an Aft Balcony cabin. Each time, the glass was so dirty and sooty that we did not have a clear view through it. We asked to have it cleaned, but each time we were told that this could only happen when in certain ports when the ship was power washed, due to environmental regulations. I am not sure if the dirty glass is a common problem on all cruiselines or if this is just a problem specific to the line we sailed on. Can anyone speak to the cleanliness of the glass of their aft balcony so I have something to compare our experience to and can you please tell me what cruiseline you sailed on? Thank you! :D

The past two times we have sailed we have booked an Aft Balcony cabin. Each time, the glass was so dirty and sooty that we did not have a clear view through it. We asked to have it cleaned, but each time we were told that this could only happen when in certain ports when the ship was power washed, due to environmental regulations. I am not sure if the dirty glass is a common problem on all cruiselines or if this is just a problem specific to the line we sailed on. Can anyone speak to the cleanliness of the glass of their aft balcony so I have something to compare our experience to and can you please tell me what cruiseline you sailed on? Thank you! :D

Have had several aft cabins on RC. Never had a problem as the patio door (glass) leads to the aft balcony and it's under the overhang. Might not always be crystal clear but has never been that dirty that you couldn't see through it. If I wanted to see something or take a picture I would step outside.

We have always had aft balcs on Carnival; sometimes it's clean, sometimes not. It's completely irrelevant though; you don't look through the glass on a balc, you look over the rail.

We have always had aft balcs on Carnival; sometimes it's clean, sometimes not. It's completely irrelevant though; you don't look through the glass on a balc, you look over the rail.

Due to some health issues, standing can be difficult on some days. We aren't hard to please at all, we are just trying to find a way that if one needs to sit and take in the view, we can see through the glass that is on the front of the balcony.

Due to some health issues, standing can be difficult on some days. We aren't hard to please at all, we are just trying to find a way that if one needs to sit and take in the view, we can see through the glass that is on the front of the balcony.

We almost always have an aft balcony and I agree that this is often a problem when sitting. I have made comments to my friends quite often about other windows onboard as well... but I understand about the ability to only wash the outside of the windows at specific times. Not sure I would trade for any other balcony though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would you have to stand?? We always been able to easily see over the railing while sitting.

Why would you have to stand?? We always been able to easily see over the railing while sitting.

That’s the point... the glass that we would have to look through while sitting on the balcony was so dirty you couldn’t see through it. A couple of people made the comment that you stand and look out. On our past two cruises, the glass panel came up above the sight line while we were sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s the point... the glass that we would have to look through while sitting on the balcony was so dirty you couldn’t see through it. A couple of people made the comment that you stand and look out. On our past two cruises, the glass panel came up above the sight line while we were sitting.

What ships are you referring to? Must admit that I have never paid that much attention, but I don't remember any glass panels. I thought they were usually a solid wall, or a plastic type material; not the kind you can see through.

All i can say is you must be very short people to not be able to see over the railing while sitting. Haven't had that problem.

They were both Carnival ships. They had a solid panel of glass with a wooden rail across the top.

We have had this problem on non-aft facing balconies. We clean them ourselves. You can use a room towel, or get one from the fitness center. Then use a pool towel to dry it off. It will be important to rinse the towel out a few times--the salt water is very sticky and only comes off if you use a lot of tap water to clean and rinse. Just reach down as far as you can and rub the salt and grime off, then dry the area.

You might check the stewards cart for a squeegee--that would make it easier, especially if you're short. We have done that in the past also. We are not tall and agree that it can be hard to see thru the balcony glass, and often the railing is right at eye level.

Good luck

ML

All i can say is you must be very short people to not be able to see over the railing while sitting. Haven't had that problem.

That's great. So just because you've never had the problem, no one else could and you should be rude and dismiss their perspective?

You must be great fun to sail with.

It seems that you are not asking about the door to the cabin, but are asking about the glass panel below the rail. While the doors are maintained by the stewards, the glass below the rail is maintained by the deck department. There are rules about when they can clean that, at least the outer surface.

Keep in mind that that glass is exposed to spray, mist, soot from the funnels, sun, and lots of other environmental factors. Take a look around the ship at other outside windows and you will see the same thing. They are all dirty, and even if they clean them they will be dirty again within a few hours.

BTW, in the picture that OP posted the glass looks pretty clean, so I'm not sure I see an issue.

It's incredibly hard to keep glass clean at sea....the salt air and sea spray covers everything. If your cabin attendant won't wipe off the inside of the glass, take a couple towels and do it yourself. Of course, the outside of the glass will still be dirty, but no one will be hanging over the rail to clean that. It is what it is. Stand at the rail for the best view.

Or maybe you are very tall:rolleyes:

I can usually "see" through the plexiglass, but dislike the discolored view. I have heard of people stacking beach towels to sit on to make them a little higher for the view.

If I want the view I usually stand, if I'm sitting and can't see (not tall, but also not very short) then I just enjoy the sound of the ocean and fresh air (assuming neighbors aren't smoking:mad:) and read a book or take a nap, so the view doesn't matter as much.