Chaise Lounges

mellon1

I need help answering a question. Has anyone brought their own chaise lounge on board? We are doing Florida precruise and post cruise and I wanted to bring the lounge with me when we board the boat so we don't have to buy another one (many times Walgreens runs out of them). I would just carry it on as it will be light weight.

I felt it would be better to ask all of you experts rather than call a rep @ Princess. Appreciate your help.

I need help answering a question. Has anyone brought their own chaise lounge on board? We are doing Florida precruise and post cruise and I wanted to bring the lounge with me when we board the boat so we don't have to buy another one (many times Walgreens runs out of them). I would just carry it on as it will be light weight.

I felt it would be better to ask all of you experts rather than call a rep @ Princess. Appreciate your help.

On more then 100 cruises we have never seen anyone do this, but why not :). You could certainly bring them aboard as luggage. If they are too large to fit through the security scanners you would have to check them as checked luggage and hope they did get delivered to your cabin. Many decades ago when we were young and poor we would sometimes carry tatami mats on our cruises to be used ashore. Now, we are no longer young (or poor) and prefer to rent nice loungers wherever we go.

Hank

I wouldn't see why not. However, I assume you would need to store it in your cabin, not on the balcony (if you will have one). Also, if you will have 2 of them, that will require twice the storage space. Echoing Hanks thought, if they won't fit through the security scanner, they might not fair well in the delivery process.

On more then 100 cruises we have never seen anyone do this, but why not :). You could certainly bring them aboard as luggage. If they are too large to fit through the security scanners you would have to check them as checked luggage and hope they did get delivered to your cabin. Many decades ago when we were young and poor we would sometimes carry tatami mats on our cruises to be used ashore. Now, we are no longer young (or poor) and prefer to rent nice loungers wherever we go.

Hank

Never thought of that?? How big are those scanners? I have seen some large luggage going through there at times.

I wouldn't see why not. However, I assume you would need to store it in your cabin, not on the balcony (if you will have one). Also, if you will have 2 of them, that will require twice the storage space. Echoing Hanks thought, if they won't fit through the security scanner, they might not fair well in the delivery process.

Thanks for the reply. I was only going to get one. Scanners didn't think about that one...wonder how big it is. I would be afraid to ship it with the luggage as it would get crushed.

Hank

Good for you guys...100 cruises. Maybe someday we will be there too:)

I have seen people that have small beach chairs and even umbrellas which they carry on. I don't see an issue. I have seen people that carry them on and off the ship for use at the beach. Just get a small one that folds up nicely. Here is an example.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Costway-Outdoor-High-Back-Folding-Beach-Chair-Camping-Furniture-Portable-Mesh-Seat-Navy/846493982

and another

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Sports-Compact-Chair/44612168?athcpid=44612168&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS002&athguid=466001f5-9559e95-5f83f83c18f2f223&athena=true

I have seen people that have small beach chairs and even umbrellas which they carry on. I don't see an issue. I have seen people that carry them on and off the ship for use at the beach. Just get a small one that folds up nicely. Here is an example.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Costway-Outdoor-High-Back-Folding-Beach-Chair-Camping-Furniture-Portable-Mesh-Seat-Navy/846493982

and another

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Sports-Compact-Chair/44612168?athcpid=44612168&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS002&athguid=466001f5-9559e95-5f83f83c18f2f223&athena=true

Wow...thanks for the site AND that you have seen people bring on. I am beginning to feel so much better taking it on board and off again.

I think security would treat them like a walker or wheelchair. They can be hand scanned if necessary.

I am smiling now. Never thought of that. See...I knew this was the place to have my question answered. There is always such a broad minded approach to the answers! Plus, hubby would kill me if we got it and they said we couldn't take it on, after he carried it of course!

Last I saw, the cruise SHIP (not boat) has plenty of chairs for everyone. I don't see the need to bring your own, just extra "stuff" to carry with you unnecessarily

Beach precruise and postcruise reasoning

I have been hearing a lot about the laundry facilities being cut in half. I'm looking to bring my own washer

https://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/della-353-cu-ft-portable-washer-dlla1096.html

Funny you brought this up....we just talked about it at lunchtime. We usually stay in a suite; however, we could not justify that for what it costs. Talking about elite laundry ..... what is the deal for real?

Funny you brought this up....we just talked about it at lunchtime. We usually stay in a suite; however, we could not justify that for what it costs. Talking about elite laundry ..... what is the deal for real?

I prefer to do my own. The number of Elites on board can have an impact on the time of return to you. Sometimes I feel that some people take over advantage of the perk and send all their belongings to the laundry every day. Just because they can.

Last I saw, the cruise SHIP (not boat) has plenty of chairs for everyone. I don't see the need to bring your own, just extra "stuff" to carry with you unnecessarily

It's not for use on the ship, but rather for use on the beaches before, during and after the cruise.

It's not for use on the ship, but rather for use on the beaches before, during and after the cruise.

You didn't mention the ports you will be stopping at. But for all the years I've been sailing, I don't believe there are any beaches which don't offer chairs and umbrellas, unless you are opting for an out of the way private beach, if you are comfortable with that. When we have a beach day, carrying our bags with our towels is heavy enough, hauling chairs would be overkill, especially that awfully long way down the dock back to the ship. Of course another option is bring your own set of wheels to pull all that stuff, like a folding luggage cart.

Hank

Your definition of "poor" must be different than ours. When we were "young and poor" cruising wasn't an option. Camping yes. Cruising no.

I'm not sure that hand-scanning an aluminum chair would be very practical :evilsmile:

Depends. Our beach chairs have soft coolers and pockets in the back. Who knows what could be hidden in there.....