Global Entry - what are you thoughts?

Worth every penny!! We love Pre-Check and being TSA approved. Saves a lot of time. Re-entering the USA is a breeze. Saves on the lines and luggage checks.

Go for it!

I think the value is good, especially with departures, but adding some sarcasm I've sometimes found that what my Global Entry card does for me reentering the US is change one wait (customs/passport verification lines after deplaning) for another (seemingly endless baggage claim carousel viewing) due to my 'express' arrival at baggage claim.

Too bad the Global Entry card can't work a little magic by offering one or two dedicated baggage inspection lanes after collecting your luggage :rolleyes:. Most card holders know the Customs drill and seldom slow any lines down. It seems that my one bag and me always manage to get directed to the baggage inspection lane with a foreign visitor on vacation in front of me who's pushing a luggage cart with nine bags full of stuff that 'didn't make it onto the Customs declaration form' :mad: . US Custom Halls can be time eaters. :confused:

I think the value is good, especially with departures, but adding some sarcasm I've sometimes found that what my Global Entry card does for me reentering the US is change one wait (customs/passport verification lines after deplaning) for another (seemingly endless baggage claim carousel viewing) due to my 'express' arrival at baggage claim.

Too bad the Global Entry card can't work a little magic by offering one or two dedicated baggage inspection lanes after collecting your luggage :rolleyes:. Most card holders know the Customs drill and seldom slow any lines down. It seems that my one bag and me always manage to get directed to the baggage inspection lane with a foreign visitor on vacation in front of me who's pushing a luggage cart with nine bags full of stuff that 'didn't make it onto the Customs declaration form' :mad: . US Custom Halls can be time eaters. :confused:

SFO does have a separate line in Customs for those with GE. You turn in your form printed by the kiosk. You don't even stop walking.

Yes, you may have to wait a few minutes for your bags. On our recent MUC-SFO flight, we had to wait maybe 10 minutes. But the were almost no people from our flight there then, so we were way ahead of the crowd. And our bag was about #20 off the belt...we were in Business Class.

Keep in mind that it is valid for 5 years from your NEXT birthday. So, if you get it just after your birthday you can have it for almost 6 years. Just a little trick. I got mine just after my bday while the other guy who was also doing the interview at the same time had his birthday in a week. I scored while he was not very happy. ;p

It does in every airport I have used.

Of course, now they do not do the check after you claim your luggage, so this benefit is no longer useful.

It does in every airport I have used.

Of course, now they do not do the check after you claim your luggage, so this benefit is no longer useful.

If you don't have GE, they certainly can do the check after you claim your bags. It is random, to be sure, but having been the subject of a check (prior to getting GE) it can be a time consuming PITA.

We got a global entry last year. At the time, it took 4 attempts to get fingerprints from me. The agent finally said, "Are you a nurse"? (My entire career was in health care and apparently frequent hand washing plus age can do a real job on the finger tips).

So, half the time, my fingerprints won't work on the screen, even when I moisten them. Fortunately, an agent has always been nearby and I carry the actual pass on my person.

There are several credit cards which, among other benefits, offer a rebate for obtaining and renewing Global Entry. The one I have has a number of other excellent travel benefits I want. The annual cost is more than met for me by the benefits. Look around to see if maybe if there is a card that would work for you.

If you don't have GE, they certainly can do the check after you claim your bags. It is random, to be sure, but having been the subject of a check (prior to getting GE) it can be a time consuming PITA.

They can with GE also. As once you clear the immigration section, you no longer have your ticket from the kiosk.

But I haven't seen anyone pulled over, unless they got caught by the dog. :D

Also, if you have status with some airlines, they also have benefits for GE.

The new one is CLEAR. It is a commercial system, but offers the benefits or Pre-Check. But it works for all airlines (Pre-Check is only for US carrier and those foreign carriers that have paid for access), and these days, the lines are shorter.

In the past, with CLEAR, you still had to remove your shoes and laptop and such, but that changed a few months ago. Last trip, using CLEAR (I have both), I jumped past about 15 people in the Pre-Check line. :D

We got a global entry last year. At the time, it took 4 attempts to get fingerprints from me. The agent finally said, "Are you a nurse"? (My entire career was in health care and apparently frequent hand washing plus age can do a real job on the finger tips).

So, half the time, my fingerprints won't work on the screen, even when I moisten them. Fortunately, an agent has always been nearby and I carry the actual pass on my person.

A few days ago, we entered at Orlando airport at the global entry kiosk. The machine wanted our passport and took a photo, no finger prints any more and no questions.

We've seen it actually vary now because of so many people signing up for it...On our recent Asia incoming flight into Seattle the GE line was longer than the regular line.

Exactly!

I'd prefer that everyone who has it would just keep how great it is under their hat :D:D

Keep in mind that having Global Entry also gets you TSA Pre check. As to airport lines you simply use the GE kiosk to get your form and then quickly walk through Immigration. But waiting for checked luggage often negates much of the advantage.

Hank

Also, if you have status with some airlines, they also have benefits for GE.

The new one is CLEAR. It is a commercial system, but offers the benefits or Pre-Check. But it works for all airlines (Pre-Check is only for US carrier and those foreign carriers that have paid for access), and these days, the lines are shorter.

In the past, with CLEAR, you still had to remove your shoes and laptop and such, but that changed a few months ago. Last trip, using CLEAR (I have both), I jumped past about 15 people in the Pre-Check line. :D

How much is the charge for CLEAR? I remember asking a CLEAR sales rep and was surprised how much it was and it is a monthly charge. Am I remembering correctly? IMO it would only be a good value if a person does lots of travel, like for business.

Thanks!

How much is the charge for CLEAR? I remember asking a CLEAR sales rep and was surprised how much it was and it is a monthly charge. Am I remembering correctly? IMO it would only be a good value if a person does lots of travel, like for business.

Thanks!

It is an annual charge. I got it discounted due to status on Delta.

Without some form of discount, it is somewhat expensive. But I wanted to point it out as another offering.

I fly internationally a lot out of Dulles, and even ticketed on a US carrier, it is a lot of times a foreign carrier. And none of the ones I have flown subscribe to Pre-Check, so CLEAR is the only option.

As it whether is worth it or not for you, that is your decision. And will depend a lot on where you normally fly out of. But the lines for the late afternoon Europe flight out of Dulles are INSANE.

• 3 weeks later...

When we debarked in Rome this summer, we walked off the ship. They said to stop by the counter only if we were bringing in controlled items, and they waved all the rest of us on by.

Flight back to the US landed in Charlotte, and we walked past hundreds of people in zig-zag queues, to the Global Entry kiosks. 60 seconds and done. Same deal coming back in to/through Canada returning from Alaska.

In FLL, look for the sign on the wall way to the right of big luggage room (opposite the main queue that forms on the left). The helper will open the tape/rope, and you pass alongside the crowd to the yellow line. We waited there for less than 30 seconds before being directed to an agent. The helpers there were looking for our GE cards. At our application interview, the agent told us we'd never need the cards, once our passports were activated, but we have needed them in FLL.

You also need the cards in Canada. The people that let you into the GE line when clearing immigration in Canada will not let you in the line without the card. And those people are Canadian workers, so they can only do what they have been told.

Thank you! I have this card. Can you elaborate what the procedure is to get reimbursed? Is there a form from Capital One to download and send in?

It was an automatic credit of $100, (can't find the email from Capitalone) but online statement:

"Global Entry benefit stat ement credit Appears on statement as: Global Entry benefit stat ement credit ement credit"

Hope this helps, or call Capitalone

It was an automatic credit of $100, (can't find the email from Capitalone) but online statement:

"Global Entry benefit stat ement credit Appears on statement as: Global Entry benefit stat ement credit ement credit"

Hope this helps, or call Capitalone

Thanks so much. We arrived back from Europe at JFK last week and it was hellish. I can’t believe we allow ourselves to be treated this way. I’m getting it no matter if I get reimbursed or not.

Thanks so much. We arrived back from Europe at JFK last week and it was hellish. I can’t believe we allow ourselves to be treated this way. I’m getting it no matter if I get reimbursed or not.

We are going on Med Cruise in April, a friend said it is worth it even if used just once. It is some type of perk with Capitalone, although they only reimbursed for the primary cardholder. We fly in and out of ATL, so figure they will be slammed when re-entry to U.S..