Amending gratuities - keep them but reduce the amount?

Croose

As the title says, is it possible to change the amount of automatic gratuities while still paying by this method? We feel that $13.50 per person per day is excessive and would NEVER tip this amount normally (not from a tipping culture anyway) but we've no desire to cancel them entirely as we recognise it's a fair way to distribute gratuities amongst all the staff. We can always 'top up' with individual gratuities for any service we feel merits an extra tip - which is, after all, the point of tipping in the first place.

If this isn't possible we'll just have to rely on the old envelopes method!

You can reduce the gratuites, but be aware that when you do this, the people you've individually tipped have to turn in that money, which gets put into the tip pool.

If you do completely remove the grats, the same scenario goes into effect. Staff must turn in tips and it goes into the tip pool.

As the title says, is it possible to change the amount of automatic gratuities while still paying by this method? We feel that $13.50 per person per day is excessive and would NEVER tip this amount normally (not from a tipping culture anyway) but we've no desire to cancel them entirely as we recognise it's a fair way to distribute gratuities amongst all the staff. We can always 'top up' with individual gratuities for any service we feel merits an extra tip - which is, after all, the point of tipping in the first place.

If this isn't possible we'll just have to rely on the old envelopes method!

No, not as you propose. You would have to go to customer service and have a certain dollar amount removed in bulk, or have it all removed.

If you tip cash to individual staff the cash is required to be turned in. If your daily gratuity remains in place then the cash is returned to the person you provided it to. If you remove the automatic gratuity then the cash is turned in to the pool and is not retained by the person you tipped.

It isn't possible for you to tip everyone that serves you, waiters, ass't waiters, buffet waiters, cabin stewards, and others you never see.

The automatic gratuity is the major part of this staff's compensation. They only receive a small stipend from the cruise line. It is the way the system works, even though it isn't the tipping system you are familiar with. I strongly encourage you to leave it in place.

Remember that all beverage purchases have a 15% gratuity added to the price at the time of purchase. These can not be removed. Beverage staff are not part of the hotel staff gratuity pool.

Go out to eat three times at a nice restaurant and add those tips up. That’s not counting all the other staff. 13.50 doesn’t seem excessive to me, to each their own, but I feel bad for the hard workers who use it to support their families.

No, not as you propose. You would have to go to customer service and have a certain dollar amount removed in bulk, or have it all removed.

If you tip cash to individual staff the cash is required to be turned in. If your daily gratuity remains in place then the cash is returned to the person you provided it to. If you remove the automatic gratuity then the cash is turned in to the pool and is not retained by the person you tipped.

It isn't possible for you to tip everyone that serves you, waiters, ass't waiters, buffet waiters, cabin stewards, and others you never see.

The automatic gratuity is the major part of this staff's compensation. They only receive a small stipend from the cruise line. It is the way the system works, even though it isn't the tipping system you are familiar with. I strongly encourage you to leave it in place.

Remember that all beverage purchases have a 15% gratuity added to the price at the time of purchase. These can not be removed. Beverage staff are not part of the hotel staff gratuity pool.

I think making the staff hand in their personal tips is a dreadfully unfair system, both for the staff and the customers who wish to see it stay with them.

People sometimes forget on these forums that not everybody is cut from the same cloth. I've seen people posting here who eat speciality every night, buy drinks packages, stay in suites and cruise several times a year.

We are not in that fortunate position. We are certainly not poor but this cruise is already the most expensive holiday we've ever been on and it took a lot of hard work and saving to afford it.

Therefore, $13.50 per person is not something we can afford on top of everything else. It's very unfortunate therefore that when Princess say it is fully discretionary, they are lying. We wish to adjust it, not remove it.

now don't take this the wrong way...but, Princess has a system in place that keeps the staff in their place with the dangling carrot known as gratuities...

no 100% work with all high comments and no or few gratuities

what are they (staff) gonna do...quit? - or work harder the next time...

If you can't afford $13.50 per day, then you can't afford to cruise. It's part of the package. EM

I agree.

It's like eating in an American restaurant - you have to ensure that you have enough money to cover the cost of the food, the tax, and the tip. If you only have $20, you don't order the $19.99 entrée.

You wouldn't go into the store and say, "I'm going to purchase this $5000 luxury item but I can only afford $40 in tax" and expect to walk out with the item.

If you can't afford $13.50 per day, then you can't afford to cruise. It's part of the package. EM

If it's part of the package then the gratuities should be unremovable and unchangeable.

Princesses' own policy states that they are fully discretionary.

Therefore, in a word, you're wrong.

I think making the staff hand in their personal tips is a dreadfully unfair system, both for the staff and the customers who wish to see it stay with them.

Although you may not be familiar with this, it is a common practice to share tips in the U.S. at restaurants, bars and other jobs, such as the porters on the piers, which rely on gratuities as a large part of their compensation. It is not considered unfair.

I don't believe Princess is being unfair with their pricing. Their gratuity policy is mentioned right upfront, and guests should consider it as part of the cost of the cruise. Other Lines, such as Royal Caribbean & P&O have similar policies. RC is $1 more, P&O is about $3 less.

You, of course, can do as you please and provide the amounts you wish.

It basically sounds like you made up your mind. Why post the question here? This is an extremely contentious issue on Cruise Critic. If you do a little looking around you will find countless threads on this topic. Regardless of your personal views, which you are more than entitled to hold, the "Hotel Charge" is simply a part of most of the mass market cruise lines pricing structure and does account for a significant portion of many of the crew's compensation. Perhaps cruising isn't the best option for you. I can totally understand that.

Regardless of you final decision, enjoy your holiday.

So how can you determine how much anyone can afford? Are you their accountant? How rude of a statement to make about someone you do noy know? Have meet many people on a cruise who have said they saved for years just to go on their cruise of a lifetime.

Consider it a service charge and not a tip. Just like in much of Europe when you sit at a table and use the service there is a mandatory service charge put on your bill. It's not a tip, it's a service charge for using the services offered.

consider the $13.50 per day as a mandatory service charge not a tip.

Consider it a service charge and not a tip. Just like in much of Europe when you sit at a table and use the service there is a mandatory service charge put on your bill. It's not a tip, it's a service charge for using the services offered.

consider the $13.50 per day as a mandatory service charge not a tip.

This I like. :D

As in Europe, if you don't want to pay the service charge, you take your food out and eat else where. You don't try to reduce or negotiate the service charge.

Same on a cruise, if you use service, then pay the service charge. Change your mindset from it being a tip.

So how can you determine how much anyone can afford? Are you their accountant? How rude of a statement to make about someone you do noy know? Have meet many people on a cruise who have said they saved for years just to go on their cruise of a lifetime.

She said if you can’t. Notice the word IF.

The OP stated themselves they were not as fortunate. The OP is strictly trying to save money by screwing over the staff. They should find a holiday that they can afford.

It basically sounds like you made up your mind. Why post the question here? This is an extremely contentious issue on Cruise Critic. If you do a little looking around you will find countless threads on this topic. Regardless of your personal views, which you are more than entitled to hold, the "Hotel Charge" is simply a part of most of the mass market cruise lines pricing structure and does account for a significant portion of many of the crew's compensation. Perhaps cruising isn't the best option for you. I can totally understand that.

Regardless of you final decision, enjoy your holiday.

I have read many of the threads on tipping and couldn't find an answer to my question on any of them.

Why $13.50? And why per person and not per stateroom? Again, we are not averse to tipping for good service anywhere in the world, but not by those amounts and not on a per head basis either!

I know it's a bit of a culture clash - cruise lines and indeed America itself don't have a minimum wage, which I personally find disgraceful - but that's why we're trying to find a compromise where we continue to contribute to the pool but at a rate we can afford and still feel is fair.

If that offends other cruisers on their 25th holiday of the year while they throw cash all around them, so be it. As I say, we are not all cut from the same cloth, and if the gratuities are truly inflexible, then include them in the price!

respectfully disagree. When you plan a trip, you plan for all expenses. When going on a road trip you plan on the gas costs, hotel, meals, tickets etc. You save for all expenses.

Same as a cruise, when planning you plan for all expenses which includes service charges.

She said if you can’t. Notice the word IF.

The OP stated themselves they were not as fortunate. The OP is strictly trying to save money by screwing over the staff. They should find a holiday that they can afford.

I'd say the only people screwing the staff are the cruise companies.

Carnival Corporation made $2 billion in profit last year. TWO BILLION! And yet they pay their staff absolutely pitiful base salaries and leave it up to the customers to pick up the slack. But I'M the one screwing then?! The mind bogfles.

I have read many of the threads on tipping and couldn't find an answer to my question on any of them.

Why $13.50? And why per person and not per stateroom? Again, we are not averse to tipping for good service anywhere in the world, but not by those amounts and not on a per head basis either!

I know it's a bit of a culture clash - cruise lines and indeed America itself don't have a minimum wage, which I personally find disgraceful - but that's why we're trying to find a compromise where we continue to contribute to the pool but at a rate we can afford and still feel is fair.

If that offends other cruisers on their 25th holiday of the year while they throw cash all around them, so be it. As I say, we are not all cut from the same cloth, and if the gratuities are truly inflexible, then include them in the price!

You picked Princess which has the $13 in place. It was in place when you booked. If you wanted a line with lower tips you should have gone with P&O. You signed up for the American based system.

Sounds like you're trying to turn this into a class war, not a clash of cultures. Where did you get the misguided idea that the U.S. doesn't have a minimum wage? It could be higher but it certainly is a requirement. Also, most states have a minimum wage that is significantly higher than the Federal rate. BTW, the crew are not under U.S. labor laws.

You would be better served by letting this thread die under its own weight. It can't possibly help you improve your cruise experience at this point.

Again, enjoy your holiday.

Edited by msmoger

For many years , Tips were a suggested amount , usually paid personally on the Final night .

Now most every cruise line has gone to putting them on your account .

This has worked out well for guest convenience and especially for the crew who were often missed or skipped out on the Final night by some .

Don't upset what works well and is fair to all employees deserving . Your messing with some hard workers income by removing tips .

If you go to Italy and eat at a restaurant or for that matter often just going to a cafe and eating at a table, you pay a service charge of $2.00-4.00 per person because the work and extras increase with the number of people. Same as on a cruise, 2 people in a cabin/ at a dining table is double the amount of work. One person is less work. At the dining tables, waiters are waiting on two people, not one...hence the charge per person.

If you don't like this system, then I suggest you cruise on a cruise line that goes by a European system in which you are still paying the charges, but its built into the fare. The American system just breaks down the charges into the cruise fare, taxes, fees and gratuities (service charge).

I really think it would be helpful to you to quit thinking of it as a "tip" .

When I first went to Europe and the UK I was shocked by being charged to sit at a table and get table service (mandatory charge, not optional) because this was so different than in the US. Then I realized that there was a service charge that was mandatory, but then tips were less or not expected. Its really the same thing in the end but just different names. What in the US is called a tip, is really more of the equivalent of the European service charge + tip.