Gratuities Rate of Increases over the Years...

20 years ago tips were $7.45 a day. Waiter and Room Attendant each got $3pp. Asst Waiter got $1.45pp a day. No reason to complain, not big increase in 20 years considering amount only paid 3 people.

Adjusting for the rate of inflation... $7.45 twenty years ago, would equal $11.50 today. So at $14.50 we are approximately 26% higher than inflation.

All things are not equal either. All the lines (RCI, CCL, NCL) have decreased the number of waiters and room stewards, so really that amount of $14.50 per day is actually more than 26% higher, in the form of income to the staff. That is of course, unless RCI is taking a cut. ;)

The argument I have seen on here is that they are paying more than just the "3" as you mentioned... if that is the case... who were they NOT paying 20 years ago? :cool:

It is easier for them to raise the auto gratuities than raising the fare. If they raise the cost of the cruise under the guise that its gratuities for the poor hard working employees they love and cherish then its harder for cruisers to complain. If you complain you are a heartless cheapskate.

Anyone here think that the crew's pay has been commensurate with the "gratuity" increases? If so, those workers have received raises like most of us will never dream of, especially considering there is now less staff, which means more "gratuities" to go around, right? :')

Royal needs to stop playing games and just call it a "service charge" like NCL does.

Anyone here think that the crew's pay has been commensurate with the "gratuity" increases? If so, those workers have received raises like most of us will never dream of, especially considering there is now less staff, which means more "gratuities" to go around, right? :')

Royal needs to stop playing games and just call it a "service charge" like NCL does.

So you have evidence to prove otherwise?

Some of the additional gratuities have gone to support staff. Just like at a restaurant where waitstaff share tips with bus, and bartenders.

So you have evidence to prove otherwise?

Some of the additional gratuities have gone to support staff. Just like at a restaurant where waitstaff share tips with bus, and bartenders.

Nope, no proof. But I do have proof that resorts on land skim off the top. First-hand experience, actually.

But the point is that there has been a 65% increase over the course of 8 years. If the staff really got 65% more money than they were making 8 years ago, working the same position, that would probably be the most lucrative job I've ever heard of. In typical corporate America, without a promotion, your annual raise is 3% to keep up with cost of living.

Going back to F&B industry, front of house staff like bartenders don't even get annual salary increases in America. They are paid the bare minimum the government will allow. To think, if a bartender's tips increased 65% over the course of 8 years, I think every bartender and their brother would be begging to work on a cruise ship. Yet the cruise companies have to find workers from overseas to take those positions. Now why is that...

Food for thought.

Nope, no proof. But I do have proof that resorts on land skim off the top. First-hand experience, actually.

But the point is that there has been a 65% increase over the course of 8 years. If the staff really got 65% more money than they were making 8 years ago, working the same position, that would probably be the most lucrative job I've ever heard of. In typical corporate America, without a promotion, your annual raise is 3% to keep up with cost of living.

Going back to F&B industry, front of house staff like bartenders don't even get annual salary increases in America. They are paid the bare minimum the government will allow. To think, if a bartender's tips increased 65% over the course of 8 years, I think every bartender and their brother would be begging to work on a cruise ship. Yet the cruise companies have to find workers from overseas to take those positions. Now why is that...

Food for thought.

3% annual raises are a fond memory since 2008.

Bartenders in America now expect 20%, a 33% increase. Drink prices in America that tips are based on have increased 25-33%. But the problem with your example is bartenders are not part of the auto gratuities pool.

Americans, for the most part, won't leave their families for months at a time. That's why foreigners are hired.

This is just my opinion. I find it disgusting that there are so many people out there that think every company is out to rip off their employees because they are painted with the same brush as the inevitable bad apples. Why is it also not possible they are trying to retain employees and lower their training costs?

As for skimming off the top. Many merchants all over the world reduce tips received by the amount of the credit card interchange fees of 2-5% charged to them. Not so sinister.

Americans, for the most part, won't leave their families for months at a time. That's why foreigners are hired.

Nor would most Americans work those long extremely long hours for that kinda money. It may let the foreign crew members provide a life for their family they wouldnt be able to provide working in their own countries but that doesnt apply here. Then there is the whole tax issue and the IRS that Im pretty sure the foreign crew members dont have to deal with

"Americans, for the most part, won't leave their families for months at a time.

Nor would most Americans work those long extremely long hours for that kinda money."

Really?

I used to work for the Big Battle Gray cruise line, & they sent me to 9 - 12 months deployments all the time, going to horrible ports, esp. to the other Gulf.

I least I get cost of living increases in combat pay...

We've noticed the increases as they grew from about $10 or so in 2001 to what they are now, and wonder why the number of staff all over the ships has actually gone down. ??

There isn't anything - food, clothes, utilities, housing, gas, cars, travel,even Big Macs that costs what they did in 2001 . Of course tips need to be increased also. Must remember most people make more money than they did in 2001 also. If staffing has gone down I haven't felt it affected my cruising experience.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I totally agree with all you geniuses that costs goes up every year. I believe it's called Inflation. Yes. Agreed.

Just saw this post:

https://cruisemaven.com/royal-caribbean-increases-gratuities-again-wonder-why/

Esp:

"This is the third time in three years that Royal Caribbean has jacked up the rate for daily gratuities. In 2015, the daily gratuity went from $12 per person per day, to $12.95. Then again in 2016 the rate went from $12.95 to $13.50 per person per day. According to my math, in less than three years, that’s an increase of $2.50 per person per day (to $14.50 today)"

So that's a 21% increase in 3 yrs.

Forget about 2001, I don't think they had auto grats way back then. I agree with the article that auto grats only began about 8 years ago or so...

My point is that, although they some of you who'll defend the cruise lines to the death & will pay whatever "service charge" that they place on your account, some like me would like an adult discussion about the annual 7% increases...

I think that the cruise fares have been going up faster than the gratuities, and much more than the rate of inflation.

It's difficult to find a bargain cruise nowadays.

Does anyone have any idea where and how to find bargains?

Edited by drsel

...........Americans, for the most part, won't leave their families for months at a time. That's why foreigners are hired........

Think again. These cruise employees also aren't going to war!

.............Really?

I used to work for the Big Battle Gray cruise line, & they sent me to 9 - 12 months deployments all the time, going to horrible ports, esp. to the other Gulf.

I least I get cost of living increases in combat pay.....

Thanks for your service. :beer-toast::champagne-toast:

"Americans, for the most part, won't leave their families for months at a time.

Nor would most Americans work those long extremely long hours for that kinda money."

Really?

I least I get cost of living increases in combat pay...

And the military is suffering from a recruiting shortage. The point still stands, Americans aren't crewing on cruise liners because the pay is low, hours long and requirements stiff.

I'm still amazed at the number of people upset with the idea of cruise ship crew members getting pay increases. RCI, and the other lines, didn't just wake up and make the decision. They balanced the impact on their revenues and on their ability to recruit crew members. What's likely behind the large "raises" is that they needed to pay the crew members more to keep wages competitive. Inflation happens everywhere, the cruise lines can't recruit quality crew if they pay people $1/day when they can earn $1.50/day at home.

Don't really agree that cruise fares are increasing any great amount,indeed IME many regular cruisers are claiming the opposite saying that 'falling' prices are bringing in the wrong 'type of people'!

Anyway back to service charge/auto tips,(something that annoys many people for various reasons),whatever you want to call them,we are not regular cruisers and have just booked our first cruise with RCI,we have no favourites with cruise line we simply book one which is going where we want to go,as such I find it surprising how different the amount charged is on different lines.

In March we were on P&O's Britannia,in a suite paying £6pppn(this had been £5 not long before & has since risen to £7 which has annoyed many),we were amazed how much higher the charge is in RCI,on top of that the drinks prices on P&O are pretty low & not subject to 18% being added on top,ok we are happy to have bought a cruise at a price we were more than happy with but it looks like we will be making up for that somewhat!

My point is that, although they some of you who'll defend the cruise lines to the death & will pay whatever "service charge" that they place on your account, some like me would like an adult discussion about the annual 7% increases...

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with that adult discussion? It seems you should be directing your ire at the cruise lines. Why not make your points to corporate?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with that adult discussion? It seems you should be directing your ire at the cruise lines. Why not make your points to corporate?

I'm not angry, nor ire, at the cruise lines. I think they're doing a great job for their shareholders in continuing to maximize ever increasing profits. Capitalism is great.

Just wants to hear reasonable discussions on when, if they continue to increase fares, fees, & auto gratuities, that us consumers who has a choice to spend our vacation $ on, starts to feel that other venues such as all-inclusive land resorts/hotels, river cruises, etc... are a better "value" for us.

Again, we're loyal ocean cruisers, with over 30+ cruises so far, & has booked at least one or two cruises a year.

But now, we get vacation sales/specials emails on a weekly basis. So for the past 5 years or so, we've booked less cruises, but instead has booked other all inclusive Caribbean resorts (twice a yr), Guided tours to Europe, Asia, Australia (6 so far, 2 more later this yr), cheap flights (3 to Europe, 2 to Asia), Danube river cruise earlier this year, Rhine river cruise next year.

Although the prices varies, most times higher, but we feel like we got a great "value" for our vacation experience.

For example, we went on our very first river cruise earlier this year. Although the initial price was higher, but by the time we factored in the "included" (not free) airfare, alcohol, walking tour excursions at every port, no forced tips, I mean auto gratuities/service charge, etc... We felt like we got a great deal, great experience, & great value. We also over-tipped cruise personnel in cash at the end.

We were in a Crown Loft Suite on Allure last year. 2 people were involved in servicing our room not one. I don't have knowledge of how the extra $3 gratuity is distributed but this might be one of many reasons why suite guests are charged more.

We were in a Crown Loft Suite on Allure last year. 2 people were involved in servicing our room not one. I don't have knowledge of how the extra $3 gratuity is distributed but this might be one of many reasons why suite guests are charged more.

Also on Oasis class you have CK and SL staff and conceierge.

I'm not angry, nor ire, at the cruise lines. I think they're doing a great job for their shareholders in continuing to maximize ever increasing profits. Capitalism is great.

Just wants to hear reasonable discussions on when, if they continue to increase fares, fees, & auto gratuities, that us consumers who has a choice to spend our vacation $ on, starts to feel that other venues such as all-inclusive land resorts/hotels, river cruises, etc... are a better "value" for us.

You made no mention of the increased fares and fees in your initial post that focused entirely on auto gratuities. What difference does it make in the over all cost of a cruise if, as you say, you "over-tipped" cruise personnel on your last cruise. BTW, those "all inclusive" vacations include costs for service personnel. Those costs simply aren't itemized.

So, what's your real point?

Again, we're loyal ocean cruisers, with over 30+ cruises so far, & has booked at least one or two cruises a year.

But now, we get vacation sales/specials emails on a weekly basis. So for the past 5 years or so, we've booked less cruises, but instead has booked other all inclusive Caribbean resorts (twice a yr), Guided tours to Europe, Asia, Australia (6 so far, 2 more later this yr), cheap flights (3 to Europe, 2 to Asia), Danube river cruise earlier this year, Rhine river cruise next year.

Although the prices varies, most times higher, but we feel like we got a great "value" for our vacation experience.

For example, we went on our very first river cruise earlier this year. Although the initial price was higher, but by the time we factored in the "included" (not free) airfare, alcohol, walking tour excursions at every port, no forced tips, I mean auto gratuities/service charge, etc... We felt like we got a great deal, great experience, & great value. We also over-tipped cruise personnel in cash at the end.

I thought we were having an adult discussion?

Actually, almost all cruise line stocks are at or near the low of their 52-week range.

The rest of your post is exactly what should happen in a competitive market. You decided to go elsewhere. No problem, it's the free market at work.

BTW, I'm not defending anyone. My market reaction to the increase in gratuities is to decrease the amount of additional cash given out at the end of our cruise.

..........In March we were on P&O's Britannia,in a suite paying £6pppn(this had been £5 not long before & has since risen to £7 which has annoyed many),we were amazed how much higher the charge is in RCI,on top of that the drinks prices on P&O are pretty low & not subject to 18% being added on top,ok we are happy to have bought a cruise at a price we were more than happy with but it looks like we will be making up for that somewhat!

I'm now starting to branch out away from Royal to see what else is out there so I think I need to go over to the P & O forums and see how people compare the twol. Might be another good cruise line to look into.

I'm now starting to branch out away from Royal to see what else is out there so I think I need to go over to the P & O forums and see how people compare the twol. Might be another good cruise line to look into.

Certainly an interesting experience seeing how people on the P&O forums are rebelling against the £7pppn charge when people on RCI forums think you are meanie or a cheapskate for considering reducing what RCI charge pppn!