Shorts in dining room?

ARI421

Our last cruise in April in Bermuda on the Summit I saw one or two men wearing shorts in MDR that looked like they spent the day at the beach in them.

On a previous cruise on Celebrity to Bermuda there was a man who joined his family in the bar before dinner wearing dress Bermuda shorts with appropriate knee socks. Everyone enjoyed it and when they went into dinner he was asked to put on long pants or pull his sock up over his knees. Really ruined it for him and his family. Professional men in Bermuda wear these shorts and socks to meetings, etc.

So I guess it depends on someone's mood if they let you in or not. Really cannot understand why one cannot wear appropriate clothing but....

Are shorts acceptable in the dining room at breakfast or lunch? Do we need to wait to change for our shore excursions after breakfast or change after we come back before lunch (especially since we may be back for lunch just barely before the MDR closes. I am not talking about bathing suits or sleeveless shirts, but strictly shorts and a t-shirt.

• 10 months later...

Im on Solstice in Alaska at the moment, have seen shorts, baseball caps and tee shirts in MDR in the evening.

Surprised and disappointed. Great food and service but the dress code isn’t being enforced. 

Edited by AidenL

On 7/12/2018 at 12:38 PM, ARI421 said:

This is what I was curious about.. my son has nice vineyard vines shorts and Abercrombie they are dressy I did buy some pants today though lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Sounds good..shorts are not pants..khakis are fine. Maybe dress pants for chich nighy..but not required.

6 hours ago, AidenL said:

Im on Solstice in Alaska at the moment, have seen shorts, baseball caps and tee shirts in MDR in the evening.

Surprised and disappointed. Great food and service but the dress code isn’t being enforced. 

Breaking news...:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sphynxlady said:

I was on Summit this spring.saw a man in shorts turned away. Two young women in short shorts allowed in. When questioned was told women in shorts were allowed. Very sexist decision in my opinion.

So dressy linen shorts and nice capris are allowed for women? These items are dressier than any pair of slacks I own.

Wouldn’t it be nice if people who book on a cruise accept and follow the dress guidelines. There are some people who are not familiar with the acceptable dress. If the cruise line insists on a certain type of dress, they should include a statement along with the deposit receipt.  Nobody forces anyone to book. If the dress code isn’t for you, don’t book that cruise. My spouse hates wearing formal attire. I never consider cruise lines that have formal nights. For years, we traveled with extra suitcases for our dinner attire. I gladly leave formal attire home. I have seen people wearing shorts in the MDR. As long as it is neat, it doesn’t bother me. I find women wearing extremely short skirts inappropriate. Yet, they are permitted in the MDR.  The man in Bermuda wearing Bermuda shorts with knee socks is appropriate in Bermuda. Whoever made him pull up the socks to cover his knees is uninformed. I wonder how they treat men wearing kilts. I have seen kilts many times on formal or evening chic nights. Most people dress appropriately.

• Like 1

It sounds like some context is needed is specific cases -- Bermuda shorts in Bermuda, kilts as formal wear for those of Scottish heritage, and I am sure there are many other examples.  Staff should be able to tell the difference between appropriate clothing and not adhere to arbitrary rules.  Personally, I am not keen on anyone who would be old enough to wear long pants at a British school dressing in shorts for dinner, but find general neatness a better standard, if much more difficult to define.  If you would not look out of place poolside or at the beach, you are probably not dressed for dinner.  If you are dressed for dinner, you should look out of place sitting next to the pool or on the beach.

I am, of course, always correct and no one else's opinions matter.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:28 PM, mandream said:

It is really very simple - the rules are clear, with no ambiguity. Shorts are not allowed. The rules have no exceptions for age - even my 6 and 7 year olds put on pants for dinner.

The conflicting advice that the OP has received is around whether it is ok to break the rules or not, and the likelihood of being turned away. Only the OP can decide what they are comfortable with in that respect.

Mike

Good job setting an example for your boys!

Faith restored!

On 6/20/2019 at 6:04 AM, Sphynxlady said:

I was on Summit this spring.saw a man in shorts turned away. Two young women in short shorts allowed in. When questioned was told women in shorts were allowed. Very sexist decision in my opinion.

Also at the pools, where men are allowed to go topless but women are not. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:39 PM, vulcan1971 said:

In the MDR, NO shorts at dinner. Period, end of story. Doesn’t matter which ship in Celebrity’s fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got back from a cruise, I was pretty surprised that they let someone in to Luminae with not only shorts, but a t-shirt and flip flops. Personally, I think this is disrespectful to other diners. As far as teenagers go, we cruised with our 2 sons from the time they were 5 & 8, until the graduated from high school. Back in those days everyone dressed for formal night, and there were absolutely no shorts or jeans allowed in the dining room. They grew up learning that there are times when you have to dress appropriately for an occasion. They are now in their 30's, and although it has become fashionable to wear jeans to almost any high end restaurant (they both live in Manhattan), in all the years they have never complained about the right way to dress, and if anything they tend to go on the dressier side. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 6:08 PM, niborHS said:

We just got back from a cruise, I was pretty surprised that they let someone in to Luminae with not only shorts, but a t-shirt and flip flops. Personally, I think this is disrespectful to other diners. As far as teenagers go, we cruised with our 2 sons from the time they were 5 & 8, until the graduated from high school. Back in those days everyone dressed for formal night, and there were absolutely no shorts or jeans allowed in the dining room. They grew up learning that there are times when you have to dress appropriately for an occasion. They are now in their 30's, and although it has become fashionable to wear jeans to almost any high end restaurant (they both live in Manhattan), in all the years they have never complained about the right way to dress, and if anything they tend to go on the dressier side. 

Hello niborHS,

I'm not sure what you are trying to communicate in your post quoting my post from June 2018.

We all know what the Celebrity website and FAQ says about shorts.  I was just repeating for the person that was a new cruiser (or at least new to Celebrity).  Enforcement of the rules has been spotty on different ships, different itineraries, and seasonally.

You mentioned a specific situation of shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops in Luminae but didn't give any details like which meal or day of the cruise.  Was this at dinner or an earlier meal during the day?  This would be totally acceptable at breakfast or lunch, but I would have been shocked if it was dinner.  Did you say something to the Maitre D? I find that most people have plenty to say here, but never take a stance when it really matters.

I do enjoy wearing (nice) blue jeans with a polo or button down shirt for dinner. I wear dress shoes as well. My partner and I have cruised enough and are beyond the desire or interest of packing formal wear on a cruise (unless there is a special occasion). I'm aware of and sensitive to what is going on in a dining venue around me and I am not one to "rock the boat". On evening chic night, we either choose to eat in the Oceanview or choose a specialty venue that allows for smart casual dress.

I've worn shorts to dinner on regular evenings on both Carnival and NCL.  I cruised Summit twice and couldn't remember if X allowed shorts, so I read the dress code,

It said long pants only for all dinners, so I'll bring 2 pairs of dockers for our upcoming EQ sailing.  End of story.